The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DayLight

weird threadness

i dont log in much so maybe this is some new feature you guys like but i can only see the first post of a thread, then i gotta click each individual response below it which brings said response to where the original post is...so i can only see one post at a time. whats up with that?

click on the options tab at the top right of page and then click standard view.

H.

generally happens when you view a page from Google that is linked to SAB forum.

H.

daylight - in future if you notice a problem please look through this forum for a solution before posting. This 'problem' comes up about once a month and is getting EXTREMELY tedious.

On the first page alone there are two topics covering this, including one just 10 lines down that actually states the exact problem in the topic title. ie, you made absolutely no attempt to look for a solution before lazily bothering others about it.

Unfortunately, your SE is an aimless piece of drek unless you word things pretty precisely, even then, somedays it simply doesn't play well with others. Maybe pin "20 most common shitfully repetitive questions" in site n forum matters, then just refuse to dignify relevant questions with a response. Rather than taking time to nark at someone for asking a simple question... bugger if 999 ppl ahve asked, sometimes you're gunna be the thousanth and just want to know. That's like snapping at someone cos a bunch of other someones have given you a shit of a day... not very fair, or nice. Someone having a shitty breakfast is not my fault at lunchtime.

I'll give a dollar to whoever is the first to ask "what does UTSE mean?"

VM

you don't need a search engine to look at the first page of a forum.

anyway, while the SE doesn't pick up all hits, it isn't as bad as many make it out to be. I can get good results on most things I look for. I hardly every have to resort to googling this site.

Unfortunately, your SE is an aimless piece of drek unless you word things pretty precisely
Go to scroogle (or google), put in the search terms along with the phrase:

site:www.shaman-australis.com

Tho doing so may cause the very problem this thread is about :P

can't we, (ahem, you tort) disable this particulary setting?

probably not, otherwise you would have done so...

let's stick to the facts:

1, it's very anoying when this happens, it's a sort of "the whole world collapsed" feeling and as such,

2, it's very understandable that people in there shock cry out for help.

3, one needs, a certain computer experience to be able to think of the right solution oneselfe.

4, it's aswell very understandable that, this repeated "cry for help" has the potential to piss of torsten.

when i joined the forums, i noticed aswell that tort can come around at times as quite abrupt,

but guess what, now i feel sometimes the same, and even express myselfe, in such a fashion at times...

i, for myselfe can say this happens because when one sacrifies quite a lot of time, educating people with all your heart, it can make one quite unhappy, to notice sometimes, that all ones efforts are in vain.

if we would not care, than silly questions would not bother us much!

i guess the forums dynamics are self regulating, with things like this, in a fashion that newer members have often still enough motivation to answere the things, which the oldtimers have answered often before, and got tierd of to repeat.

these are user setting options and I don't think I can disable them.

you don't need a search engine to look at the first page of a forum.

anyway, while the SE doesn't pick up all hits, it isn't as bad as many make it out to be. I can get good results on most things I look for. I hardly every have to resort to googling this site.

I was thinking a sticky for such a constantly vexing problem might be a good idea too, no point getting too bothered. Or, like planthelper said, just let less jaded members like Hunab Ku answer... after all, if it doesn't keep getting asked and answered, the topic wouldn't be on the front page of the forum, and you couldn't call people lazy for not knowing something.

I imagine it is a lot easier for someone as familiar with the history of discussions on this forum as you are Torsten, to coax useful results out of a search engine, compared with someone who is new or hasn't read a lot of older threads.

Mind you, I've been reading these forums avidly since 2003 and I still find using the search engine a difficult process, so maybe I am just in a class of particularly stupid people?

Please don't answer, that is a rhetorical question.

I'd + 1 on a sticky for this - it took me a while to discover the coveted button ;-)

I am adding it to the FAQ now

This is a problem with IPB itself and board admins just like Tort all over the world are constantly plagued by this tedious question.

According to some devs on the IPS forums this was fixed in Sept 08.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/2360...dedisplay-mode/

But obviously this isn't the case, at least for the install we are using. There are plenty of threads on the issue dating back to 2006 and mostly the devs don't seem to give a shit

But obviously this isn't the case, at least for the install we are using.

IPB is pretty good with development really - as far as a non-open source company goes.

we may well have been using a pre sept 08 version until yesterday. See, while the IPB sofware is pretty good, their automatic updating installers aren't. About 2 out of 3 update installs crash, which then means downtime, hours of wasted time for me, and lots of frustrating one-on-one time with IPB support. Not something I like doing on a regular basis and hence I am sometimes a bit slack with installs if there isn't an immediate security need [and there wasn't].

So, hopefully the new install has fixed that format problem too.