The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

Big cactus

Unfortunately I don't have any close ups of this speciment but it's fkn huge. As you can see, some of the 'branches' are so large, they're falling from their own weight.

Its behind my work if anyone wants a cut, no idea of the species; though i'm sure its purely ornamental.

KlUe

post-2817-1178535284_thumb.jpg

dude what a beauity, i guess it is possibly a cereus but i cant see that well, if that is a pachanoi though i woudl love some cuttings, can you get a better photo?

dude what a beauity, i guess it is possibly a cereus but i cant see that well, if that is a pachanoi though i woudl love some cuttings, can you get a better photo?

Hi hebrew, i'll get a shot next Sunday.. its my weekend job. Was on my phone too so apologies for the dodgy quality --- I'm quite sure its not an active however, but i'm no cacti pro :(

KlUe

yeah cool

i reckon its a cereus but would be very happy to see that proved otherwise LOL

deffinately a big arsed cereus. peruvianus probably.

99% sure its a huge Cereus peruvianus. What a beauty!! :drool2: Thanks for sharing Klue - looking forward to a couple more pics of the beast!

99% sure its a huge Cereus peruvianus. What a beauty!! :drool2: Thanks for sharing Klue - looking forward to a couple more pics of the beast!

That is f*ckin HUGE man! love to see some more pics :) If only it was active hehe

OMG! Look in the centre of the plant, that thing has trunks!!

Wonder how old it is...

awesome pic Klue, cheers for sharing

as for the age it was prob planted arpund the 50s

cacti were fashionable for a while around then i think

As promised got couple new pics of this guy. Was almost scary standing underneath her.. lol

Peace

KlUe

post-2817-1179283943_thumb.jpg

post-2817-1179283977_thumb.jpg

Just amazing! Yep, definately a C. peruvianus. Perhaps you could ask for a branch to add to your collection Klue? They go great, and would look great in a properly organised cactus garden :)

Biggest blimmen cactus I've ever seen... woah.

Are they any good for grafting?

Have a look HERE MS - the first pickie shows a side by side comparison of seedling grafts on seedling stocks, with opuntia outperforming the C peruvianus by quite a bit.

I was just reading that they can put out huge amounts of growth each year, something that is always ideal in a grafting stock. I dont think it is used all that often in grafting though, but I'm not sure if it is a matter of availability or graft-ability... Time for an experiment! Well, perhaps it'd be better to wait till spring...

wow that is great any chance of a cutting? cheers kate

kate, cereus peruvianus is probably the most common cactus you're likely to find in suburban gardens in australia.. is so easy to find :) just realized you're in tassie... not sure how common it is down there..