The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dark empire

The illegal plants of australia

I know this has been answered a few times but not in full so if you know anything let me know :)

How about moving this thread to legal issues ?

It has actually been answered fully, many, many times.

I reckon Torsten probably has a scripted answer to this question by now. I've seen him answer it so many times.

Here it is in the simplest terms, do the rest of the research on here. Click 'search' at the top of the page.

1) Weed

2) Cocaine Plant

3) Salvia Divinorum

4) Kratom

5) Opium Poppies

There. :)

p. somnifs are very illegal to grow... other poppies are fine

what about tobacco? no one has ever answered that clearly... are u allowed to grow it or not

i was always under the impression u needed some sort of license

the 5 species given are illegal under the federal drug laws as implemented under state laws or under state drug laws directly.

There are other species that have other restrictions on them, but these are not drug restrictions. The reason why this is important is that anyone getting busted with 5 cannabis plants is toast, while getting busted with 5 tobacco plants will get you a warning or a slap on the wrist if it goes to court.

Obviously if you intend to grow fields of anything you should make enquiries about the laws of that state and at that time.

So yeah, it is a federal tax & excise offence to grow tobacco. But it is not a drugg offence. It will not restrict your future travel plans into other countries and it will not see you raided on a regular basis on suspicion of dealing drugs. It will probably also not stop you from getting pretty much any job except maybe at the tax department

a friend got busted with 32 cannabis plants not long ago. luckily his dad said they were his for personal use.

i think they only got a fine

Is it really illegal to grow tobacco?

I mean in a community garden nearby me, there is large tobacco plant facing out onto a walkway. Its clearly labelled as virginian tobacco and I've seen police officers walk by it. If its illegal to grow then I don't know what you would have to do to get busted.

benzedrine - yes it is. Even a single plant is illegal. What you are saying is exactly my point though - only excise inspectors would even know about this law and excise inspectors only look for big patches. Hence the law is essentially mute for your average gardener.