The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ramon

Tooth ache plant.

Guest Ramon

I thought I had recently seen some postings about this plant but can't seem to find them.

Anyway I have seen this plant at local nursery. Anybody have anything to say about this plant.

It's a funny one....

there must be a good use for the essential oil or an extract for temp toothache relief. It has a much better numbing effect than clove oil - actually, it's almost like hmmm, you know what ;-)

Guest mulga

Spilanthes sp, I've seen both S grandiflora or S. acmella as names for the native species.

A widespread genus of herbaceous daisies, apparently with at least one Australian species, also known from SE Asia and Sth America I believe.

Contains an alkaloid known as spilanthol which is actually used now by dentists in the form of a spilanthol ointment that is applied to the gums and teeth before injections of more powerful local anasthetics. Perhaps even spilanthol is used in injections, I'm not sure, but it is definetly a powerful anasthetic for the mucous membranes, just like that other one T mentioned, or didn't.

Not too sure about the structure or chemistry of spilanthol, alkaloid is a rather old and these days not necesarily accurate description of the substance. A search might turn up something.

A few texts I looked up gave the same formula for spilanthol which looks nothing like any anasthetic I have ever seen.

2,6,8-Decatrienoic isobutylamide

Almost all texts mentioned it as a 'powerful insecticide' however it seems it is used commercially to potentiate other chemicals.

Spilanthol has been used to to treat malaria as it is also toxic to bacteria.

Toxicity in humans is low and it is associated with the antibiotic properties of nasturtiums.

Is there another name spilanthol goes by? I couldnt find anything about it as far as pharmaceuticals go.

b

Guest theobromus

Americans still call it affinin, despite that name coming from a mistaken identification of the source plant and being later than the name spilanthol. But it is the name given it by Americans which is what matters, of course wink.gif

[This message has been edited by theobromus (edited 11 October 2000).]

Guest mulga

Not sure about a name for it, but local dentists do use an ointment containing spilanthol.

Also it reported as a natural insecticide in a few places I've seen as well. Though the plant itself isn't immune from bugs taking a nip out of the leaves. Still it's a relatively hardy and easy to grow little herb.

The more I hear about it, the more interesting it sounds, malaria?

Guest Ramon

This is the information which came on the tag of the plant. Note the spelling mistake in name and Spilantol

Splianthes acmelia

30 cm bush. Yellow Flowers, natural antibiotic leaves eaten in salads. Many therapeutic uses. Leaves contain Spilantol, rubbed on gums gives relief from toothache, teething and mouth sores, with local anaesthetic activity.

From doing a web search this plant seems to be anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral as well as helping the immune system.

Also known to produce saliva when chewed ( To this I can attest. The taste was similar to sticking tounge on a battery but not unpleasent.)

Guest theobromus

I usually describe it as ice menthol chili before my victims taste a flower bud. The spilanthol is sort of related to capsaicin the active part of the chili pepper.

I find breathing in fast over the numbed tongue is rather pleasant.

Acmella oleracea/Spilanthes Acmella ~ "Toothache Plant"?

Anybody got any info on the "Toothache" plant?

Has anybody ever actually used it?

Is it hard to grow from seed?

Any tips on it's cultivation or usage?

sdfs

Edited by Teljkon

It's a funny one....

there must be a good use for the essential oil or an extract for temp toothache relief. It has a much better numbing effect than clove oil)

Is this readily available Torsten?

I've been having recurring abscesses every four months or so and last time I hit it repeatedly with clove-oil (providing temporary relief over a weekend) and the gum around the tooth all sloughed away when the dentist started cleaning it (much to her dismay - and mine when she described it).

I'd be very keen on a better alternative as I won't be having the tooth removed for twelve months odd.

ed

sdfs

Edited by Teljkon

asdad

Edited by Teljkon

If SAB doesnt have them then try asking Gomaos, IIRC he had some available in his shop last time I checked (years ago)

Very easy to grow, from seed or cuttings. Have seen it in bunnings also, in punnets, labelled as "peek-a-boo eyes" or something (due to the flowers). Appears to self seed to some degree.

Maybe its just me but I wouldn't call the effects numbing as such .... more wickedly tingly :drool2:

I'm quite fond of chewing/sucking on a stem as I wander the garden. Flowers seem to give the strongest sensation for me. I find if i had too big a mouthful it really messes with swallowing. But only for a minute or too then it wears off.

Drinking carbonated beverages straight after while still tingly is delightful :wub:

I stumbled across this yesterday at http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/clabs/black.html when looking up Echinacea. Not sure if it is all hype or what though.

"Non-Psychoactive Cannabinomimetic Alkylamides Complex:

Everyone knows that marijuana makes you hungry. So how does an athlete or bodybuilder increase their appetite naturally without having to deal with an illegal drug? Well, if there were a chemical that was physically similar to the active ingredient in marijuana, THC, then it could potentially activate the same receptors and elicit the increased hunger response. There just so happens to be a group of alkylamides that act as cannabinomimetics and mimic cannabinoids in structure and bind to their receptors, the CB1 and CB2, which are part of the G-protein-coupled-receptor group. These receptors are located in the brain and around the body. They are in charge of many different functions.

The next step was to look for herbs that contained these alkylamides that mimic the structure of cannabinoids. The two herbs that showed the greatest promise were Echinacea Purpurea and Spilanthes Acmella. Both of these herbs contain many different alkylamides, but recent clinical information has shown that there are 3 in particular that have a high affinity for binding to both the CB1 and CB2 receptors. Dodeca-2E,4E,8Z,10Z/E-tetraenoic acid isobutylamide and dodeca-2E,4E-dienoic acid isobutylamide from the Echinacea herb and undeca-2E,7Z,9E-trienoic acid isobutylamide from the Spilanthes herb, found in a precise blend in Black Hole, could be used to mimic the herbal cannabinoids found in marijuana, and more importantly, the endogenous cannabinoids found in the human body, including anandamide. Not only does the clinical information show that they can mimic them, but they can even bind to the receptors for a longer period of time than can the other two types. This means that Black Hole will help produce hunger stimulating effects potentially greater than anything you have experienced before.

The oral bioavailability of these alkylamides has also been shown to be extremely high in human studies, so they will make it to the receptors without getting degraded by the gastric juices and/or the liver. Now that you are hungry and have begun stuffing your mouth with tons of protein and good carbohydrates, what is your body going to do with all of those calories…."

has anybody tried the toothache plant and noticed increased appetite? id like that. herbalistics has spilanthes seeds

could it be used in a topical cream for cuts stings or bruises?

I'm about to put some seed in now. Happy to send some seedlings when they germ to anyone who wants one.

cheers

I use to grow it but they died out on me. Don't forget it's other name "eyeball plant" which the flowers do look like. Never tried eating it though.