The Corroboree
XipeTotec

Cutting planting techniques

Im expecting to receive some trichocereus cuttings shortly. Wanting to know everybody's favourite and most effective techniques for planting/pupping. Also, can a cutting, say 30 cm be cut into 2, re calloused and planted as 2 cuttings? im expecting a bridgesii(penis plant) would planting this be the same as san pedro etc?

Edited by shroomytoonos

Ok I don't want it to seem like I am chasing you around telling you to UTSE, but seriously these are topics that have been covered innumerable times before.

It's better for everyone involed if you use the search engine.

For you, it means you can have your questions answered immediately, with no waiting.

For the forum, it means there isn't a dilution of the exact same information that already exists (i.e. multiple threads detailing the same thing).

Ok I don't want it to seem like I am chasing you around telling you to UTSE, but seriously these are topics that have been covered innumerable times before.

It's better for everyone involed if you use the search engine.

For you, it means you can have your questions answered immediately, with no waiting.

For the forum, it means there isn't a dilution of the exact same information that already exists (i.e. multiple threads detailing the same thing).

I don't think it hurts to cover topics again, it gives a chance for new experiences to be discussed, and opens up new discussion for people interested.

Edited by shroomytoonos

I must say that when I was looking for the exact info that was asked for by shroomy, I couldn't find a concise thread containing that information. I searched a little bit here, but then searched on google and found the information I wanted. I didn't come back and ask, as I found what I wanted. But when I saw this thread I was happy because I would like to know what people here do. I was kinda disappointed by the responses, as this could have been a great thread, possibly the simplest and most noob-friendly cutting propogation thread on this site.

I'm not saying I searched that hard, but I searched hard enough to be bothered looking on google when I prefer to get my info here first, so it is obviously not that easy to find. The information is there, but I don't see the problem in consolidating some of that information. The question posed at the beginning of this thread was perfectly worded to elicit general and varied responses that would help many people who are new to cactii. Most of the threads out there are too specific in their context. What's wrong with a thread out there where people respond by stating, "1. I cut xxxxcm with xxxx tool 2. I leave in xxxx environment for xxxx time to callous. 3. I put to xxxx depth in xxxx soil..." Get the drift? If there is such a thread, on this site, maybe it should be pinned.

I must say that when I was looking for the exact info that was asked for by shroomy, I couldn't find a concise thread containing that information. I searched a little bit here, but then searched on google and found the information I wanted. I didn't come back and ask, as I found what I wanted. But when I saw this thread I was happy because I would like to know what people here do. I was kinda disappointed by the responses, as this could have been a great thread, possibly the simplest and most noob-friendly cutting propogation thread on this site.

I'm not saying I searched that hard, but I searched hard enough to be bothered looking on google when I prefer to get my info here first, so it is obviously not that easy to find. The information is there, but I don't see the problem in consolidating some of that information. The question posed at the beginning of this thread was perfectly worded to elicit general and varied responses that would help many people who are new to cactii. Most of the threads out there are too specific in their context. What's wrong with a thread out there where people respond by stating, "1. I cut xxxxcm with xxxx tool 2. I leave in xxxx environment for xxxx time to callous. 3. I put to xxxx depth in xxxx soil..." Get the drift? If there is such a thread, on this site, maybe it should be pinned.

thanks for your support ballzac. The format which you have described would be ideal for this thread, and I hope that some people contribute. Obviously, you have now had some experience in planting cuttings, what techniques have you found that work well?

[Cut the cactus into 1.5 x the diameter of the cutting (so if it has 5cm diameter about 7.5 works well, can be smaller but I find its faster this way.) For bigger fatter cuttings a little over 1x works say 1.1x.

Use whatever tool you want a sharp knife works well, for bigger cuttings a pruning saw is useful for the wooden core.

Live in a bright-lit place for however long it takes to callous. It’s dependant on the environment and size, etc of the cutting. It should be out of direct sunlight. To see if its calloused flicks it if it feels ‘wooden’ then it should be fine.

If laying the cutting down push it in 1cm – 2 cm depending on size.

If standing up bury it about 1cm and if tall stake it up.

Use any cactus mix or course sand.

Anything else?

All this info has been available on the forum and the web it may have taken a bit of patching together from different sources. Hope this will help solve the problem.

[Cut the cactus into 1.5 x the diameter of the cutting (so if it has 5cm diameter about 7.5 works well, can be smaller but I find its faster this way.) For bigger fatter cuttings a little over 1x works say 1.1x.

Use whatever tool you want a sharp knife works well, for bigger cuttings a pruning saw is useful for the wooden core.

Live in a bright-lit place for however long it takes to callous. It’s dependant on the environment and size, etc of the cutting. It should be out of direct sunlight. To see if its calloused flicks it if it feels ‘wooden’ then it should be fine.

If laying the cutting down push it in 1cm – 2 cm depending on size.

If standing up bury it about 1cm and if tall stake it up.

Use any cactus mix or course sand.

Anything else?

All this info has been available on the forum and the web it may have taken a bit of patching together from different sources. Hope this will help solve the problem.

great info mark, should the cutting be watered in, or kept dry?

Everything I have said can be found on the first link of a google search.

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=n...cactus+cuttings

As a genareal rule I use, I search the fourm for at least 10 minutes then google for 15.

It should be watered when dry.

thanks, It is all well and good to search the web, although forums such as this are here to promote discussion. Im not sure of why all the fuss about creating this thread, as if you all have more important uses for the forum or something. This is probably relevant for apothecary, who questioned the need for this thread, but himself started a thread regarding the latest "Tool" concert.

Edited by shroomytoonos

I don't get what the problem is! Most of the information people ask for on these forums can be found on google, but usually people are more than happy to give advice. Apart from anything else, it would actually be quite interesting to find out what different techniques have been used by members of this forum, which ones have caused problems, and which ones have been a success. Threads about unhealthy sages and rivea corymbosa experiences come to mind. Those threads went for several pages, and I don't recall anyone bluntly telling the topic starter to go search google.

thanks for your support ballzac. The format which you have described would be ideal for this thread, and I hope that some people contribute. Obviously, you have now had some experience in planting cuttings, what techniques have you found that work well?

Actually this was very recently, so I don't know what results I will get from the technique I used, and hence don't feel I should detail it here. Sorry dude.

Not sure if your talking to me but please don't think I am telling anyone to search anywhere I just pointed out that my info was really nothing new and I cited that I found my first method on a google search and added a few of my experinces to it.

Also I am unsure that the lying on your side method will be any good for elm's (tbm) but the standing up method works for sure.

Not sure if your talking to me but please don't think I am telling anyone to search anywhere I just pointed out that my info was really nothing new and I cited that I found my first method on a google search and added a few of my experinces to it.

Also I am unsure that the lying on your side method will be any good for elm's (tbm) but the standing up method works for sure.

thanks for all your help mark. Elms is the penis plant? does anyone know the actual name for the penis plant? I know it is a bridgesii variant.

all info given above is good

I wait 2 weeks before watering then water bout ounce a week for couple of weeks and place near other plants that are getting watered more frequently.

Tbm apears to me to be susceptible to rot as it is the only specimen i have lost

I have a cordobensis (lance) which apparently is a bugger to root that just wont take I am down to the last 2 inches of tip and dont know what to do anyone rooted lance before that could give me a run down.

TBM Trichocereus Bridgesii Monstrose

So that probly makes it Echinopsis Lageniformis Monstrose with new taxonomy

Sorry mate, I misread the tone of your post. My mistake. :blush:

Hey guys/gals,

I would like to say first off, the mods and older members dont like seeing repeated questions and answers because it'd be getting repetitive for them. This is understandable, but like you, I like to see some threads restarted and questions covered again every now and then. Not all the time, but every couple months/years depanding on the topic. This helps bring in new teks and entices newbs to get their hands dirty :) - exactly why the forum was created (afaik). But enough of that.

I have a little expirience with cacti, so I'll share what I've tried, though both are tried and fairly well documented teks.

Tek 1 - Upright Plants

Most of my cuttings are kept around 20-30cms (for columnar cacti). I let these heal for a week or two - just until they become corky at the wounded sites. Once they have healed to my satisfaction, I fill my pots (usually larger than smaller to avoid root bound plants) with a good potting mix - cacti mix or regular with a little coarse sand in the mix to aid drainage - and place the cutting in deep enough to be free standing. This is usually about 5 to 10 cms (usually no more than 7cms) and the plant is given a light watering. This is enough to moisten the potting mix enough without drowning it.

Place the newly potted plant in a mostly shaded area and work it into full sun over the course of a fortnight (though I usually do it over a couple days). Once the plant is comfortable in its new home, water regularly (most of my trichs receive a good watering about once a week to once a fortnight).

Usually growth will resume within about a month or two (obviously depending on species and time of year). I also find the growing seasons to be the best for cuttings (i.e. spring/summer).

Tek 2 - Horizontal Plants

Pretty much the exact same as the first tek, though the cuttings are placed lying horizontal on the surface of the pot/ground. They are dug slighty into the soil (approximately 1/3 underground) and left to root and pup. This method is perticularly good for centre cuts as it will produce pups in a sort of 'raft bonsai style'. I have 2 cuttings in the middle of testing this method. They appear to be less tolerant of full sun as there is a lot of open surface area directly copping sun. As yet, my cuttings have not produced shoots, while a few other uprights have that were planted at the same time. If I have any luck, I'll be sure to post results.

Thats about all there is to it, though cuttings may be much larger or smaller (my smallest was a columnar pup - about 3 or 4cms tall and is very slow), but the growth rates will differ depending on size, weather, species, etc.

All I can say is get out there and get your hands dirty - the only way to learn is to be in the midst of it :lol:

Good luck all,

Ace