The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cisumevil

Hoodia gordonii ?

Hi everyone :)

Just wanted to get some advice from you guys. My Hoodia gordonii has thrown quite afew pups & was wondering if I should remove them and re-root or keep as 1 and give them a larger pot to live in.

Thanks for any help.

Also a few pics of Eileen :)post-1255-1144197067_thumb.jpg post-1255-1144197128_thumb.jpg post-1255-1144197152_thumb.jpg post-1255-1144197169_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1144197067_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1144197128_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1144197152_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1144197169_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1144197067_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1144197128_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1144197152_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1144197169_thumb.jpg

Anyone :(

Sorry I'm not sure about your question.

WTF........ Check this one out!

http://www.break.com/index/cactuseater3.html

That's one of the strangest things I've seen in a while, what would motivate someone to do that?

Have never grown hoodia but i'd leave it as one plant for the moment. Looks like a big enough pot aswell.

Is that mold at the base of it? The white fuzzy stuff.

And dude your Eileen needs more sunlight, she's not looking very happy.

Thanks Guy's

No not mold but they did get a little sunburn :(

& more sun for Eileen you reckon? I was just going to ease her in slowly and 2 pups started to grow so I thought they would be OK, but I can find spots with more sunlight for sure!

Thanks

yeah, check out the growth tips on both of the right hand side pics, they are really demented.

Not sure where you live, but I pretty much put cacti in full sun straight away once their root system starts, which I generally guess IME being 2 weeks. I pot calloused cuts up, leave for a week or two in a sunny spot, move them if they are getting too much sun, then I water and put in full sun.

I don't have Eileen in my yard, but she seems extremely vigorous. IMO i'd pot calloused cuts up and put straight into full sun, and water soon after. She is adapted to full sun as you can see from the mother plant pictures...given the stress of postage and getting adjusted to a new climate, treat her with care then she should pretty much do the rest.

But then again, judge it and adjust the needs from the response she gives you.

Thanks for the tips mate, I'll get her in the sun then!

Ta!

Yeah what kind of a moron would eat a cactus! :wink:

I've always had troubles with cuttings getting elongated. Recieved an Eileen last year, calloused for 2 weeks, into a pretty damn sunny spot, barely any shade and it still elongates, plenty of water too. Maybe just the wrong time of year to do it. But i also dont callous in sun, cuttings are always taken inside for a couple reasons.

I water my cuttings straight as their plunked into the soil, I figure theres not much stressed caused seeing as theres no roots.

cisumevil --> from what I've read Hoodia gordonii is very hard to root from cuttings, firstly because the cuttings are quite prone to rot or just shrivelling up and secondly because they just refuse to produce roots. I recommend you graft the pups it to something like Hernia or Stapelia, even though that concept is still in the experimental stage, that way you have several sets of plants roots making your various hoodias grow, rather than one set making 3 or 4 hoodia tops grow.

If you throw it in a big pot with some decent succulent mix, a hoodia will produce a lot of growth on many arms (10+) no probs. They like heat. And big pot is key. Can be watered twice a week in summer.

yeah waht zee werp says

dont cut the hoodia

just keep dry till next summer - then think about grafting and or cutting

cold weather is time for maintenance not propagation

what about if it's moved inside during winter on a heatmat and under some light? Could grafting be considered then, as summer conditions would be somewhat similar?

Does anyone know why my Hoodia (above) is turning a little bit brown/white colour near the base??

I got this hoodia off ebay about 2 weeks ago and it was fine and have only bottom watered one time underneath since. The hoodia had been kept in a mini greenhouse away from any rain and has not had excessive sun. This whitish 'rot' thing has happened to one of my other hoodias a few months ago but I suspected it was from top watering or too much sun (sunburn) but now I can't figure it out as it's happened to two different hoodias in different seasons. The same older Hoodia during the last few weeks seems to be turning a whitish colour at its crown too!! Also, the two different Hoodias look quite different in appearance, is this a common thing which happens with age?? What is happening!!!!

Recently bought Hoodia showing signs of turning grey/white at the stem - dsc085057mf.th.jpg

Top view of older hoodia which rotted in Summer - dsc085072th.th.jpg

Side view of older hoodia which rotted in Summer - dsc085087yu.th.jpg

Another side view of older hoodia which rotted in Summer -dsc085060lc.th.jpg

Edited by SaBReT00tH