The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ferret

anyone got pics of SAB's pachanoi clones?

Trichocereus pachanoi '2'

Trichocereus pachanoi 'Alf'

Trichocereus pachanoi 'Omar'

Trichocereus pachanoi 'Rob'

Funny enough I just got home and there is a package from sab with all of those clones plus 2 more, I'll take some pics when I get the chance to pot them up..

good idea for a thread!

till seconds ago i didn't know what omar was, thx.

please correct me if wrong, but one of omars distinctive features is, that the areoles are not all in one aligement, as they normaly (with all other pachs i've seen) are.

i have omar and alf and i dont see any significant difference. wouldnt all pach's be backenburg clones (or what ever it is) thus the reason why noone can get seed from pach pach pollination? has anyone actually grown plants from seed labeled as pachanoi that actually are pachanoi, all mine have ended up macrogonus.

i remember torsten told me once where the names were from, but i can remember so maybe he can remind us :)

also if anyone has managed to get pach pach crosses seeds to grow plz tell me :)

yeah i reckon pach x scop are the nicest looking plants, they hold their colour really well :) they all have different length spines but all spination is similar. interesting thing is some plants have spines longer then pachanoi. cant wait to see some more hybrids appear.

post-710-1143096109_thumb.jpg

T.pachanoi 2

post-710-1143096158_thumb.jpg

Left - "Omar" Centre - T.pachanoi "KK2150" Right - T.pachanoi

post-710-1143096215_thumb.jpg

Left - "Rob" Right - "Alf"

Sorry aboot the quality of the pics

Ive found scop pach hybrids to be very variable

the full range of intermediates

but i wouldnt judge them at that size

trichs dont exhibit their full range of traits till they are mature and at least 6 foot

Centre - T.pachanoi "KK2150"

I'd be extremely dubious of that ID, it's got very obvious swollen spine bases.

The early names are from plants where I could be certain they were grown from separate seed (eg cactus collectors who always grew their own). Each got a separate name as there was no obvious relationship. Some turned out to be quite distinct in growth habit, disease resistance or 'flavour'.

For the last 3 years we have grown our own strains from seed either derived by certain crosses or from wild collections. Some of these are named like the KK strains, but others do not have names yet. The batches of seed grown plants will be named as strains (ie by collector number). Only outstanding special plants from these strains will be named.

Omar is a standard pachanoi which is used to the more arid climates such as SA and Vic. It is a bit more susceptible to rot in the subtropics.

Pachanoi '2' is much more hardy in regards to the black rot in the subtropics.

With the brigesii there are also some obvious differences. I got a complaint today that someone received a dirty and ugly 'Jess'. For some reason this strain always grows in a somewhat slender and unattractive way, but worse, it gets a black pigmentation on it which develops after a few months (and can't be wiped off).

There are also plants with different spine colouration etc etc.

We don't just give every new plant a new name. There are reasons why we keep them distinct.

the staining effect is not limited to that clone

ive seen eileen and others do it in high humidity, low airflow or partly shaded areas

at my place when they were in part shade, or overgrown by vines

or at goms out in the open

the staining alone would be difficult to attribute to strain

Torsten, is there more information available (perhaps online?) about these pachanoi clones?

I'm curious about their specific features...

the staining effect is not limited to that clone

the staining alone would be difficult to attribute to strain

I know the staining happens to other cacti too in the right condition (especially when overgrown with weeds), but Jess and another one we have do it regardless of where it is grown (at least around here). It gets the staining even in really dry el nino years, in the cactus dry house etc.

We've had Jess for about 5 years now and the staining has been very consistent - always developes after 6-12 months.

Sebas - sorry, I haven't written anything up yet. I prefer if others share their observations on these strains. Giving them names makes that easier. Ther eis already a fair bit on the forums, especially about Lance.

cool so if i buy T pachanoi seeds from sab they will actually be T pachanoi? just every other supplier ive tried hasnt been

also if anyone has managed to get pach pach crosses seeds to grow plz tell me

I'd love to able to help you out there, a couple of X's I've done with pollen from ED are hanging on, all the other flower's have dropped. Fingers crossed. ^_^

cool so if i buy T pachanoi seeds from sab they will actually be T pachanoi? just every other supplier ive tried hasnt been

???? Seriously? What have they been?

Most of our pachanois look like the one on our webpage.

???? Seriously? What have they been?

Most of our pachanois look like the one on our webpage.

haha i dont know thats y i asked, ive never seen a pic of a plant that was labeled t pachanoi grown from seed that looked like what i call t pachanoi. and as i said in my experience all seed i received as t pachanoi was macrogonus. i guess thats insentive to order from SAB now :)

yeah dont forget to take into account that pachs are spinier as juveniles than as adultsd

yeah im talking bout the ones i grown to a size where i think its determinable. those ones i sent you i dont know whatthey are yet, ive still got some so im hoping they are pachanoi. thats so crazy, the elusive pachanoi seeds were right under my nose, only reason i didnt buy any was i could get 4 times as many seed from other places, damn me for being so cheap.

- For the last 3 years we have grown our own strains from seed either derived by certain crosses or from wild collections.

Torsten, are these seeds generated within Australia or sourced from OS?

Edited by strangebrew

its not being cheap

buy enough cheap seed from enough sources and you are bound to get what you want

ive grown SAB seed before and had suprises - not good or bad just a suprise

and its all to do with one particularly prolific but scattered collector of sth american cactus seeds

the other alternative is to wait n see what others get from a batch of seed - but by then the seed is old or gone!

my allies imported purchases of hybrids came up duds. not a single germination from over 300 seeds

these are the juuls and SS hybrids people now have nice plants of

the seed must be the original and now old batch

my allies imported purchases of hybrids came up duds. not a single germination from over 300 seeds

these are the juuls and SS hybrids people now have nice plants of

the seed must be the original and now old batch

Yikes... That is sad. Maybe I can do something about getting some seedlings to you.

I too have never had T pachanoi seed look like T pachanoi in my experience or research, but I found that T pachanoi X scop looked very much like a pachanoi. I'd like to try raising some seed produced in Oz.

Torsten, are these seeds generated within Australia or sourced from OS?

Both. Most locally grown seed we only have one fruit, so we tend to grow all that seed out to see if any special seedlings pop up.

So for me this sparks a question. HOW? they are supposedly self infertile. im willing to acceptthat one was self pollinated and produced seedsbut more likely is that there was a cross somewhere.