The Corroboree
Dirty Old Man

Acacia Simplex pics

Just recently got back from a research expedition to New Caledonia and Vanuatu. :)

What can I say the place is paradise. Its covered in beautiful simplex trees. The beaches are lined with them.

islepines1.jpg

Unfortunately they wouldn't let us travel with the shellite and NaOH so we couldn't sample the goodness within. :devil:

The results were positive from a burn and smell test though.

The trees are big compared to most acacias. They have a thick trunk and grow to at least 12m. Unfortunately we didn't get any pics of the entire tree.

Here are some pics of phylodes and seed pods.

simplex1.jpg

simplex4.jpg

simplex6.jpg

simplex7.jpg

Here's one for you mycophiles, unidentified fungi growing on a simplex trunk.

simplex8.jpg

Another unidentified acacia common on the islands.

acacia2.jpg

• Like 1

great pics...

research trip huh? u lucky bugger... so what were ur findings? :P

great pics...

research trip huh? u lucky bugger... so what were ur findings? :P

Thanks,

My key finding is that there are a shitload of acacia simplex in Vanuatu and New Caledonia. :D

Not exactly a research trip. Saucymoo and I managed to score a cruise at a rate that was too good to refuse.

Coincidentally there happened to be heaps of acacia's.

We did manage to bring back a small amount of seed from two locations.

My key finding is that there are a shitload of acacia simplex in Vanuatu and New Caledonia. :D

We did manage to bring back a small amount of seed from two locations.

What the active compound in acacia simplex?

DMT and betacarbolines.

Also contains NMT which isn;t really active and N formyl NMT in the leaves which I am not really sure about.

DMT and betacarbolines.

Also contains NMT which isn;t really active and N formyl NMT in the leaves which I am not really sure about.

Thanks DOM. That's interesting.

Unfortunately they wouldn't let us travel with the shellite and NaOH so we couldn't sample the goodness within.

Can you use any solvent /NaOH? Why use shellite? It's used in furniture varnish I think?

cc, to answere your question google those words: elfspice, dmt extraction, and similar, there is an abundance of teks arround.

aswell check:

http://www.ethnobotany-australia.net/commu...topic.php?t=129

this forum doesn't provide space to discuss your question!

Edited by planthelper

If you get there again please try and find us seeds of these as well....

Dutaillyea drupacea (a shrub from New Caledonia) Rutaceae

Contains only 5-MeO-DMT to the extent of over 0.4%

In "TIHKAL" Alexander Shulgin writes:" from a kilo of powdered leaves, there was actually isolated 450mg of an alkaloid fraction that was 98% 5-MeO-DMT."

If you get there again please try and find us seeds of these as well....

Dutaillyea drupacea (a shrub from New Caledonia) Rutaceae

Contains only 5-MeO-DMT to the extent of over 0.4%

In "TIHKAL" Alexander Shulgin writes:" from a kilo of powdered leaves, there was actually isolated 450mg of an alkaloid fraction that was 98% 5-MeO-DMT."

So when Shulgin says powdered I'm assuming he means dried, powdered material?

If thats the case, its a pretty small yield but exceptionally pure.

Do you have any links to pics, or any more botanical info? Especially when they seed and what habitat they grow in?

At >6mg-20mg pyrolised and 2-3mg, i.v. and with 98% purity i.v. could be an option, i'd say 450mg would give you plenty to work with :wink:

At >6mg-20mg pyrolised and 2-3mg, i.v. and with 98% purity i.v. could be an option, i'd say 450mg would give you plenty to work with :wink:

I agree with you, 450mg is plenty to work with, but assumiing Shulgin used dried material you would need 10kg of fresh material. Thats a lot.

It's still definitely worthwhile, just not the same yield most people are used to with more common plant extractions.

How do the phyllodes compare in fleshiness compared to A. Phlebophyla DOM?

They look quite leathery in the Pics, did they smell tryptamic when burnt?

Beautiful photos by the way, you had a good time it seemed!

How do the phyllodes compare in fleshiness compared to A. Phlebophyla DOM?

They look quite leathery in the Pics, did they smell tryptamic when burnt?

To be honest I have never had the honor of seeing a Phlebophyla in the flesh.

I would describe the phyllodes as being similar in thickness to Obtusifolia phyllodes but much smoother and shinier. So reasonably thick but smooth.

They passed the burn test but the aroma did seem as strong as that from Otusifolia.

Beautiful photos by the way, you had a good time it seemed!

Thanks for the kind compliment. We had a great time. I would highly recomend it to anyone considering going.

Forgot to mention, we also spotted quite a few Mimosa Pudica in some parts Vanuatu. Not that they are of much interest.

Recently germinated these seeds DOM! All looks good so far and will post some pics when I get some new batteries for the camera. How are yours going??

Beautiful pictures.

The background Araucarias are also magnificent. I'm guessing they're A. columnaris.

As for the acacias, can't wait till these are more common.

Peace.

Recently germinated these seeds DOM! All looks good so far and will post some pics when I get some new batteries for the camera. How are yours going??

Awesome. Can't wait to see the pics. I offloaded most of the seeds and the few that I have left I haven't had a chance to germinate.

Beautiful pictures.

The background Araucarias are also magnificent. I'm guessing they're A. columnaris.

As for the acacias, can't wait till these are more common.

Peace.

Very good ID. A. cookii is a synonym.

The araucarias are stunning especially with a beautiful coral lagoon in the foreground.

Someone I know tested some Simplex they brought back into Australia and got no effect from smoking the crystals!

Probably is too much of the other non-active tryptamines!

Julian.

Interestingly the seed mystery Island, Vanuatu has not proven viable, however seed collected from Isle of Pines, New Caledonia seems very highly viable.

These are 2 weeks after germination.

P1010013-1.jpg

Someone I know tested some Simplex they brought back into Australia and got no effect from smoking the crystals!

Probably is too much of the other non-active tryptamines!

Julian.

Was the extract from bark or phyllode material? Is it possible for the DMT and other alkaloid levels to fluctuate significantly seasonally?

BTW Nice babies Tripitaka B)

Is it possible for the DMT and other alkaloid levels to fluctuate significantly seasonally?

From what i can ascertain, its not a question of possibility, rather a question of when and how much.

From what i have read, heard, and experienced, tryptamine levels in a plant fluctuate regularly according to environmental stimuli.

The interesting thing would be seeing when the tryptamines fluctuate and measuring the overall and comparatives changes in alkaloid profile, and comparing these changes to the said environmental stimuli.

Then looking at when and how the levels changed, and asking WHY :scratchhead:

I liken such process's to neurotransmitters and when u consider the structure of tryptamines and human neurotransmitters, you have to ask what purpose do these chemicals serve, why does a plant need neurotransmitters?

Also, Obtusifolia is said to have a much larger tryptamine content during the Winter, or at least at the end of winter, then the summer months.

People have even suggested dmt content in psychotria viridis varies daily, and perhaps even such changes can also be seen patterning with the lunar calander.

At the moment i feel there is a wealth of research possibilities on this subject!

Edited by ({E})
  • Like 2

i love google search algorithms sometimes, old threads like this are gold

i'll be in Vanuatu from the 21st :lol: :lol: hopefully will get some seeeds. stay tuned

seems to be a nice tree, related to a number of acacias here, among them implexa, a quiet beauty that's easily mistaken for melanoxylon ..

As simplex- grower I would be interested if the different (alkaloid profiles?) lines on Vanuatu vs. New Caledonia, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Cook Islands

my plants grow well in the humid mini-greenhouse:

5y7us.jpg

...I've mixed some sand from the beach of Rarotonga (Cook Islands) to the soil

The stem bark is said to be most promising, but of course the regrowth is slow,

in the twigs and leaves NMT dominates, not Dimitri

The tree is used as toxin in fishing, because the tryptamines incapacitates the fish, but are orally not harmful to people.

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 2

i like your setup, it obviously works wonders for you, as those tropical acacias look very lush indeed.

sorry for the small sidetrack, but we stay in polynesia, have you given your kava plant a similar setup?

i would love to see what systems you have in place, to turn your almost artic location, into such, a sucessfull home for all this tropical plants.

Edited by planthelper