The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mexicali

Cristate and Monstrose Japanese Trichocereus CULTIVARS!!!!

Guest Mexicali

After having added a fuzzy photo in another thread (the photo responsible for making several members' libido fluctuate :P ), I took some shots today and here they are!

I have limited numbers so only one per person, ok?

^_^

:blink:B)

So so beautiful.

The universe tends to unfold the way it should..

:)

What species? Doesn't look like pachanoi. Those fine spines are throwing me off! Cool looking plants though.

Guest Mexicali
What species? Doesn't look like pachanoi. Those fine spines are throwing me off! Cool looking plants though.

Not sure at all what they are!

They were imported as Trichocereus Cultivars, meaning they could be a mixture of any/many Trichocereus species. Might even be crossed with another echinopsis or a different genus altogether.

Those fine spines are the trippiest thing man...you run your hand over them and you don't get pricked, they are very fine...like pubic hairs B)

hmm yaeh they dont look like my pachanoi ones, maybe they are, maybe cristate plants never develop proper spikes....

I have 2 T huascha crests which look very similar

That's a possiblity, huasha can have fairly fine spines like that.

Much better.....ahhhhh.

Interesting plant for sure.

~Michael~

Hey mexicali, where can we purchase your wares from?

:rolleyes: Don't worry, just found the blog :rolleyes:

Edited by oxydiser

How embarassing...looks like I'm gonna need new pants :blush:

faslimy, is that grafted? It looks like it's coming off a thin brown stick kind of thing.

Guest Mexicali
faslimy, is that grafted? It looks like it's coming off a thin brown stick kind of thing.

Hmmm...that certainly looks grafted. If that the Huascha crest, then the ones we imported from Japan are DEFINATELY not Echinopsis Huascha...ribbing (even on a crest) is very different and as you can see in the Huascha, the cresting is more conoidal (pushing upwards) rather than elongated (growing in a snake-like fashion).

Your plant IS GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

Lovely Huascha crest....quite quite rare as far as I know (down in Melbourne anyway)!

Well done on it!!

:):):)

It is on its own roots actually, I have left the young stem raised in fear of rot which I've seen to be more common when I bury it. I sowed 100 T huascha seed of which only 2 germinated, both being crests.

It does look rather strange perched on a stem I agree. You can see its starting to go woody.

Guest Mexicali
It is on its own roots actually, I have left the young stem raised in fear of rot which I've seen to be more common when I bury it. I sowed 100 T huascha seed of which only 2 germinated, both being crests.

It does look rather strange perched on a stem I agree. You can see its starting to go woody.

huh? :huh: ?

Huascha does not have a stem as a root, it has roots!

I'm sure the stem has roots on it, otherwise the plant would die.

But the stem you show in the picture does not belong to the root system of the Huascha.

The stem on your plant looks like aged Pereskiopsis.

The Huascha is an Echinopsis and very hard to rot...if you are saying that the stem is prone to rot, that also indicates it is not part of the Huascha's root system but a graft.

You also mention "the young stem" on a cristate plant! It usually takes decades for a plant to develop a crest (if we are lucky), so seeing a crest like this, with such a flimsy stick of a root is unheard of...unless it's a graft.

Grafts tend to crest easily and at very young age...have a look at the original photos in this thread...thewre you can see the stem of a crest on its own roots...fat and chunky....

Anyway....people can say whatever they want and try to make others believe what they want, ain't that right B)

Well, seeing as he grew the plant from seed, I think he'd know what was going on with it ;)

I can see what it is though...it looks like the first initial part if growth where the seedling simply elongates vertically...It's probably actually smaller than it looks in the pic, since it's only a 1 year old seedling.

That's a nice plant though faslimy. You can bet I'll be nagging you for a cutting of one of them in a year or two's time ^_^

I can't wait to be able to give you a piece zee :)

young Trichocereus seedlings are not as hardy as their mature form I have found, I still take quite care not to water them on cold cloudy days. I'm not so sure 'stem' is the correct term for what I was describing there, when the seed first germinates it grows a small body where the first cotyledons appear. When these first sprouted they grew very thin with a mess of areoles perched on top and a strange non uniform jagged body began to form. I'd never seen anything like it, are these really T huascha I wondered? They were much more sensitive to light than their surrounding family (macrogonus and pachanoi)

I 'think' most seed growers bury their plants to the first spines when transplanting, the lower 'stem' part then expands into a mass which is the transition from body to roots. I had lost a few plants this way when burying the lower part which is still green and water sensitive so I decided to keep these raised, they seemed to be supporting themselves enough. My prediction is that in nature with wind blowing dust around that the surface would slowly build up around the base allowing it to turn into a woody, more rootlike structure... I'll slowly build it up as I see fit to mimic nature.

huaschacrest25zl.th.jpg

Edited by faslimy