The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet

Native blue lilly

Is the Australian native blue lilly (Nymphaea) any good? does it have the same effects as blue lotus? i found a place with tonnes of them. Here is some i collected.

post-899-1140665491_thumb.jpg

peace

Is the Australian native blue lilly (Nymphaea) any good? does it have the same effects as blue lotus?

I was under the impression that N. caerulea (picture) WAS "blue lotus".

As usual common names run amok wreaking havoc within heads and upon lips.

Can anyone clear this business up?

The photo suggests that these are in fact Nymphaea Cerulea!

If you had clearer photos there maybe some discernable differences however there is only one real way to find out :wink:

Edited by Tripitaka

ok here is a couple more photos. They were collected in SE Qld. My guess is that they are Nymphaea caerulea but that is only from looking at pics online. Is this one of the useful varieties? or are some varieties inactive?

post-899-1140669806_thumb.jpg

post-899-1140669930_thumb.jpg

thanks

They look like the 'good stuff' to me. :D

You don't need anyone to share it with do you? :wink:

Nymphaea gigantea (Giant Waterlilly) is one native species, v. similar to N. caerulea except that the stamens hang right over the flower centre. N. caerulea stand straight up. You've got N. caerulea there.

I have a small bag of gigantea stamens, appear to be active.

do you use the stamens rather than the tepals (petal/sepals)?

prophet you said u have access to a lot of these,

if i were you id spend all the time i could afford collecting and drying these babies.... seperate the stamen and centre and do an alcohol extract on some of the whole flowers and then dry it onto the stamens...

you probably also have a goodopportunity to collect the nectar from freshly opened flowers which is said to be 'nectar of the nile' a beautiful way to interact with these plants...

the blue lilly truly is a beautiful plant to play with, we love it so much we often 'lilly huff' where you get freshly dried flowers in a bag and inhale deeply from the bag for a couple of minutes until you get a beautiful tingling 'plant harmonics' feeling... you often find lilly junkies huffing away in hare krishna restaurants... you want thousand petalled lotus baby, huff on this... :worship::P

go nuts and share the love!!!

Nymphaea gigantea (Giant Waterlilly) is one native species, v. similar to N. caerulea

Size is a pretty reliable diagnostic feature for these two as well, right?

tepals add a degree of bitterness but can still be kept in the mix. they dry faster without them. petals, nectar chamber, stamens, basically the rest of the flower is used. cut it up for faster drying. then just add a few (or more) dried bits to red wine.

Size is a pretty reliable diagnostic feature for these two as well, right?

no, leaf size is the same, but the caerulea can have smaller flowers, or flowers just as large as gigantea. gigantea appears to have more petals, but the stamen trick seems to be the most reliable way of distinguishing.

ok thanks for all the info :) I know where i will be tomorrow. Wallowing around in the swamp. Plenty more where they came from and the water is very shallow so i don't have to swim.

peace

thought i might add one more pic...

post-899-1140751609_thumb.jpg

ah thanx for the ident dudes, Ive got a bunch of these in ponds around on my property, time to harvest!

Awesome, I had no idea they were just growing around Australia.

I must keep a look out for lillys now too.

Edited by prier

There's Blue Gold in them thar ponds, and ya'll didn't realise the whole dang time! :P

Arg curse my colour-blindness, mine are actually purple but look identical to my eyes :blush:

Arg curse my colour-blindness, mine are actually purple but look identical to my eyes :blush:

Purple, blue, whatever, they're all pretty good, or at least worth a try.

Were you wearing tinted sunnies? The ones I collected were purple till I took my sunnies off :blush:

haha no, I went to my mum "We have blue lillies! Im gonna harvest them!" and she said "Theyre purple doofus, and your not gonna harvest them till theyre ready to fall on there own" but last night they magically dissappeared anyway :P