The Corroboree
MORG

Methods: MG & HBWR.

Hi all,

I've been reading various online sources and it seems there's a number of nausea complaints from people associated with consumption of Morning Glory (I. violacea) and more often Hawaiian Baby Wood Rose (A. nervosa). (This is of course illegal in Australia).

It appears to me that most of these cases occur after chewing and swallowing the seeds. Methods of ingestion with lemon/lime juice and water are purported to have fewer of these side effects. Then there is the polar/nonpolar solvent method I've read about in many places but seen very few reports from people who have tried it.

Which method would provide the cleanest results and fewer side effects for those that are interested in consuming these seeds (where legal)? It seems to me that the solvent method looks like having the greatest chance at removing nasties. Additionally, being dissolved in alcohol the dose would be easier to mediate by having more immediate effects.

What do people think?

i remembered reading about a method with oil and alcohol.

i recomended this to my gnome who found that soaking in oil then straining and soaking the mush in ethanol 40% vodka straining and drinking this would be good. he found mild nausea but all in all it was ok. aprox 15 hbwr seeds.

also stockings make a fine method for straining many mixtures.

A couple of years ago or so a foaf was given a capsule of extracted hbwr.

He was hoping for a "trip" without side effects.

The effects came on quickly, very lsd-like with very intense colours and feelings...

nausea and heart-palpitations came also very quickly and strongly, more so than with raw ingested seeds, so much so that they spoiled the whole experience for him.

he never tried another extract (of hbwr)

his advice:

About 4-5 nervosa v. nervosa seeds, chewed, kept in mouth as long as possible.

Lie down, dream...

that's all, no nasty side effects....

Nausea doesn't affect me too badly in general with most things... and it's nothing that can't be fixed with a toke of brug n bud, and chewing on some ginger root. Nausea is all part of the experience with things, and I find that nausea usually indicates the plant doesn't like you or what you partaking as everytime I've gotten nauseous the experience was intense and unpleasantly introspective.

I prefer to keep the preparation as basic as possible as well, last time being soaking and chewing.

How many things do people take that cause nausea anyway??? Pedro\Peyote, Aya and even shrooms can do it.

well yeah that's true also...

i was just trying to point out that in the case of hbwr extraction does not seem to get rid of nausea, like it sometimes does with other things...

i.e. extracting LSD from LSA...

but that would be rather complicated...

probably couldn't even be called "extraction" anymore...

So it seems there's no sure way to ensure against nausea.

So the only pros going for polar/nonpolar solvent extraction would be dose mediation and easy ingestion, i.e. not having to chow down raw seeds.

I suppose the drawbacks would be overall loss of product and the work you need to put in.

I was toying with the idea once of making up some morning glory wine, and adding some polar\non-polar extracted material into the punch and seeing how it went. Probably would add some other herbs n such in there to decrease nausea and other common side effects.

Sounds perfect for sitting on the beach on a summer evening with a few friends. :P

I was toying with the idea once of making up some morning glory wine, and adding some polar\non-polar extracted material into the punch and seeing how it went. Probably would add some other herbs n such in there to decrease nausea and other common side effects.

Sounds perfect for sitting on the beach on a summer evening with a few friends. :P

Wouldn't it all just degrade in the sun and heat of the beach?

If you read alcohol trip reports, alot would end in vomiting.

But, that doesn't mean everytime you get drunk, you will experience nausea.

Just chew for as long as you can, at least half hour, or an hour.

Then spit that crap out. and enjoy.

You will find a dose that works.

Start with one seed every half hour, until you are satisfied with the effects.

Don't be nausea-phobic, it can be part of the trip. Or, it can just be a lesson in how to use the drugs better.

EDIT: Sorry, when I said 'one seed every half hour' I was referring to HBWR. Morning Glory would obviously be higher numbers. Maybe try 10-20 at a time?

Don't be nausea-phobic, it can be part of the trip. Or, it can just be a lesson in how to use the drugs better.

Yeah, I understand. I suppose I'm just trying to look at pros and cons of all these methods and folklore that seem to surround the process. Trying to come to a hypothetical best practise.

i have never seen anyone get sick from Rivera corymbosa

i reckon these are by far the best of them all!!

Good point Dax!

R. Corymbosa is the plant with 1000 of years of human use, whereas HBWR and MG are more recent additions to the human 'diet'.

I think there is a reason some plants have been in use for that long, and that other similar plants were left alone. Our ancestors knew alot more about these plants than we do, even with all our scientific studies.

Stick to what our ancestors knew was safe, and you should be too. :)

my gnome can get really good effect off one chewed hbwr seed, most need more, but just start with one,

The fresher it is the better the effect with less nausea.

if you wanted to do an acid base extract, you'd want over a kilo of seeds to get a workable amount of extract and than a scale that would measure a dose of 1-5 mg's, not very useful procedure for most

I don't see much point in messing around with simple alcohol extracts, don't improve any of the less desireable effects and decreases the more desireable ones

i have never seen anyone get sick from Rivera corymbosa

i reckon these are by far the best of them all!!

My FOAF has tried Rivea and had no negative effects at all, a very pleasant cruisy experience. Although he can't compare it to either HBWR or Morning glory as he hasn't tried these yet.