The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tomer Corymbosa

Tribulus as MAOI

i read somewhere that tribulus has nice ammount of beta carbolines.

is there any chance to use tribulus as MAOI?

do u think it can work? and if so how much do i need to eat?

Im sure this is a very much debated topic, but I have found it to react like a MAOI with medications, but that doesnt prove it is of course.

The first time I heard anything about Tribulus was in the ingredients for a juice you can buy at the supermarket, I think it was called 'potent' and it contained both Damiana and Tribulus.

Just recently I was reading in the encyclopaedia of psychoactive plants that it contains Harmane (I think that's right) but would the alkaloids in Tribulus come under the analogue laws? I remember reading somewhere that passionflower cigarettes were banned in Australia because they contained similar alkaloids. I may be wrong though.

Tribulus teretris contains: harmaline,harmine.

maybe in small ammounts.

if someone here in the forum tryed tribulus as maoi please show yourself and tell us how it worked for u.

im intrested to find out this as well. i just recived seeds to tribulus and was hoping someone here knows how to germinate seeds and propagate tribulus?

judging by the fluoro response of tribulus seeds compared to peganums seeds I would think tribulus contains about 10% of the harmala alkaloids that peganum does.

most commercial tribulus products are based on saponin extracts and do not contain alkaloids.

10% compared to rue is better than expected. an extract made from 35-40g seeds is not the worst to consume, the seeds has a spicy smell and i can imagine how it will taste, similar to rue perhaps. anyways are the desired alkaloids only present in the seeds

so would drinking tribulus tea using the leaf and stem material, and then drinking alcohol, cause some kind of reaction with the harmine or harmaline, or would it somehow be detrimental to your health?? I've done it at least once or twice i think and didn't notice anything bad. (no headaches or purging)

10% compared to rue is better than expected. an extract made from 35-40g seeds is not the worst to consume, the seeds has a spicy smell and i can imagine how it will taste, similar to rue perhaps. anyways are the desired alkaloids only present in the seeds

I've only had access to the seeds.

so would drinking tribulus tea using the leaf and stem material, and then drinking alcohol, cause some kind of reaction with the harmine or harmaline, or would it somehow be detrimental to your health?? I've done it at least once or twice i think and didn't notice anything bad. (no headaches or purging)

why would alcohol cause a reaction with harmine?

it takes a month for germination.

i put the seeds un hot water for 2 days than put them in soil in warm place.

they grow slow...

my tribulus died because hard winter (they were too small to handle the cold weather).

i'm trying to germinate tribulus again...tricky plant in the begining but when its big it can survive everything.

thanks. from where in the world does tribulus come from? what is its natural enviroment, clima zone? sorry my poor english.

It does have harmaline, harmalol, harmine etc, its got the betacarbs, and some undesirable ones at that in leaves stems and seeds. The best chems are in the seeds but it is not strong. I have done black light tests with leaves, stems and seeds in water and it is not very reactive, mature seed gives a better reaction than those that are still forming.

It is not an ideal MAOI source, but it is one.

Archaea writes:

The best chems are in the seeds but it is not strong. I have done black light tests with leaves, stems and seeds in water and it is not very reactive, mature seed gives a better reaction than those that are still forming.

Hello.

Where i live tribulus terrestris grows like invasive weed. All the years i have observer fruits dont turn brown and they are ever green. Perhaps they turn brown(mature) out from plant on the ground....

do you know when and how the fruits was harvested, Archaea?

Yeah, I walked along the road, saw the plants in various stages and gathered the material. It grows on every continent if I am not mistaken.

The seeds start out green but when they mature they turn light brown and are very hard.

Terrible Earth is a meaning of the name.

thanks. i havent had time to look much into this specie yet, its one of many new species i have bought seeds for this year.

Another interesting specie related to peganum and tribulus is Zygophyllum fabago. Seeds are flat, rounded and brown like peganum seeds. i dont read any study about carbolines concentrations of this one. It would be really good to know how much, because this specie is more easy to grow than peganum.

The seeds of Zygophyllum eremaeum and Z.auranticum appear to be totally devoid of harmala lakaloids.

so wee have been pretty excited about this plant on the ayahuassca forum as well as on tribes.

there has been some great info collected on the subject which we have been discussing here on tribes.

http://ayahuasca.tribe.net/thread/51fb6dc7...f6-aaf023c009ac

it grows alot in my bioregion so thats a very exciteing thing, i try to go with what i can grow and wild craft.

my big question is has any one tried takeing the fruits about say 2 tbl with some mimosa or any tryptamines? has there been any successfull bioassys with this one? i have not read of one single report of this even being done yet.... trust me if i have to be the guinea pig i will...

by the way check this picture out any one else see a pentagram here? ye old five pointed star?

tterrestrisfruit.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that passionflower cigarettes were banned in Australia because they contained similar alkaloids.

"ecstacy" herbal cigraettes contain catnip, wild lettuce, damiana, passion flower and marshmallow

someone gave me one of these smokes the other day, purchased in australia.

I havent tried the other herbs but catnip is the BOMB! In tea or smoke, kinda of similar ultimate smoothness and palatable taste as Damiana.

i agree it is quite delicious, as smoke or tea.

also i find (strange as this may sound) that nepeta mussini (catMint, or lemon catmint) has a strangely similar smell and taste to damiana..... (few agree with me on this one)

leads me to believe that they perhaps share a common constituent/s

what do u reackon? or is it just my bizarre sense of smell! :P

So someone where is was legal reported that 1-2 tablespoons or 15-20 grams of Trib seed (mature and powdered) causes caapi like effects.