The Corroboree
Tomer Corymbosa

Calea zacatechichi

sorry man that doesnt look like a calea baby atm, looks like a datura. ive posted pics of the babies before, the cotyledons are oval and the hypocotyl is fairly short.

these seeds are taken out from pods of calea so it must be calea.

and i know how these seeds looks like...

maybe the pic isnt so good, but anyway i should wait and see this seedling grow...

only than we know for sure if its calea....

yeah i wasnt hinting that, more that there may have been some other seeds in there.

is Ether useful in making tinctures such as Calea extract?? If so, what is involved in the process?

I think ether is non-polar and alkaloids go into the polar stuff like ethanol or acetone.

ether isnt 'non-polar' and a great many alkaloids do dissolve in it- infact its one of the most used solvents for alkaloid extraction... but the goodies in Calea z. arent alkaloids, they are fairly polar sesquiterpenes (should be soluable in ether... definatly soluable in chloroform (CHCl3 was used for their isolation)).

Doing a direct extraction if foliage with ether would cary over a ton of chlorophyll...

In theory youd extract a strong tincture (not decoction) a few times, obtain the ether layers, evap at sub-boiling temp (hoping it doesnt explode :o ), dissolve in the vodka or whatnot for the tincture.

Better might be to spray dry it and dissolve into ~25% drinkable alcohol.

If one were patient a strong infusion (not decoction) could be made and a poor mans partial freeze-dry could be used to concentrate it so you could add 1/3 its volume of everclear to make a tincture. ('Poor-mans partial freeze-dry': put the tincture in a wide oversized plastic container and freeze it, each month scrape off the pure water crystals and toss em- freezer burn exploited :wink: )

...sabre, be sure to read the MSDS for ether, evaporating it has violently killed many people in lab explosions (via. explosive peroxides as well as flammability).

Edited by Auxin

I just got my first Calea zacatechichi seedling :drool:

I recently got some Calea z. herb from SAB and immediatly realized I could seperate a useable amount of seed from each 3 gram dose so I planned to plant the seeds as I went through the 20g of calea, each group under different conditions. Eight days ago I planted the first group just by sprinkling onto sterilized potting soil and covering the pot with a petri dish and this morning I spotted a little green sprout with a empty Calea z. seedcoat still stuck to the cotylodons :)

(Yesterday I surfaced-sowed the second batch onto a sterile 1:1 sand:potting mix and I'll likely try more methods even if plain sterile potting soil works)

Summary:

Surface sowed with glass cover

Heat-sterilized "Super Soil" brand potting soil

Night-time low 55° F, day-time high 85° F

Artificial lighting

Watered with room temp tap water by gentle daily misting

Its so cute :wub:

post-146-1160682046_thumb.jpg

Calea_zacatechichi_T_F1_1.JPG

Calea_zacatechichi_T_F1_1.JPG

but the goodies in Calea z. arent alkaloids, they are fairly polar sesquiterpenes (should be soluable in ether... definatly soluable in chloroform (CHCl3 was used for their isolation)).

I have used acetone with some success.

I have been wondering recently what kind of trace elements Calea would hold on to from the soil, my reason for wondering is Chromium.

Chromium affects dreams and seems to make them more colourful and prevalent, so I was wondering if a proportion of Caleas dream qualities might be attributed to a selective uptake of Cr from the soil. I am just throwing this out there as I know there are other things going on with active principle.

Maybe adding a Cr boost to the ferts would produce a Super Dream Calea??