The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Rambling

Things have taken a turn I wish they wouldn't.

My contract here finishes at the end of January, with no chance of renewal (organisation rules). They are willing to give me a new contract, for different work, worth a lot of money, but it isn't the kind of work I really want to get into.

Toss up between no longer working at CSIRO at all, and working here for a lot of money on a job I won't enjoy half as much. If I take the new contract, it will set my degree completion date back by six months or even a year, and I'm already behind because I worked full time last semester.

I know it's a problem plenty of people would kill to have, but I can feel the indecision just constantly draining me. I have no idea what to do.

Uni results will be out soon, if I failed anything, then I will be far behind as well. I don't even want to think about the uni problem right now.

In Year 11 physics, they told us the sky was blue because blue was scattered best by air and dust particles. What I always wanted to know was why was blue scattered best of all the colours!

If anyone was curious, it's because blue is a shorter wavelength than orange and red and yellow, all of which are largely unaffected by air.

Christmas lights suck. If people used the money they spent on christmas lights for people who couldn't afford christmas, let alone lights for it, then this time of year would be happier and better for everyone.

How come all the good books, all the books that manage to convey a worthy message of change, a decent philosophy on life, or any of the innumerable things that make a good book or movie or whatever, all have the main character falling in love.

Donnie Darko, 1984, Faust, Lord of the Rings, the story of Siddhartha, Hitchhikers Guide, Fight Club, Hamlet, Oedipus Rex, The Jungle Book, Candide, The Nun, Three Muskateers, ...the list is almost painfully endless.

Is falling in love with someone the only answer to all of lifes problems?

I have a headache.

ahh apo, you really are a prince! all the 'art' you've listed....did anyone esle watch Donnie Darko the other night, what a film!

I'm in a somewhat similar place apo, re decisions, ...if i don't get a scholarship I can try and do my Phd on the pension....another 3 years of poverty...and have any work i get reduce my 'benefit'.

If I don't study next year , instead I could work some job I'm not into and have $ for a change.... at least i could buy my daughter some 'cool' stuff. I dunno.

I have to admit, your position sounds pretty sweet from my perspective

Maybe, you should think of it this way:

you're chronologically young

the contract isn't that long (I assume)

How bad can it be?

Why not get the $, the experience with the CSIRO which will look hot on your CV, and worry later.

You're too young to worry anyhow!

It'll all be good :)

Otherwise, I can pay you $10/hr to babysit :lol:

Apo - do you enjoy Uni?

if so then dont be in a hurry to finish

in the same situation id probably take the contract

it may not be AS enjoyable as your work is now but itll help you grow on a personal level to go outside the comfort zone

if the $ is good and the time is defined its a perfect opportunity to do this

meanwhile that broader expereinece dides you well later and the $ can be put to good use for now or for later. Poverty sucks and eventually drains away creativity when you never have the mens to implement your dreams

whats another year? - provided you like your time at Uni

Edited by Rev

Is falling in love with someone the only answer to all of lifes problems?

hmmm, for me falling in love is the cause of all lifes problems

I agree Narayan. I was also quite pissed off by the whole love angle in Donnie Darko, it didnt make sence at all to me and seemed rather cheap.

I think what you should do, is what you feel is right Apo :D

And i think you have already made that decision.

And i know you can do anything you put your mind to Hombre B)

Shit just keeps on getting better :/

Nothing like sitting down to play some Zelda and seeing your mother looking up legal advice for divorce on the internet.

I don't even care about either of them, they are both childish and silly, my main concern is the effect it will have on my little brother.

Argh.

I said the same about my parents 6 years ago too Apoth and it still effects me today mate so take care of yourself first.Your bro will cope better if you show him how.Set your goals for what YOU really want and head towards them.Don't include anyone elses goals in your own life and don't let anyone tell you you can't be this or do that.

Aaargh it's been a bitch of a year all round for me too :ana: