The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jack

Just double checking (pics)

sub1.JPG

sub2.JPG

sub3.JPG

Wow! there meaty subs! Compared to the W.A. form. Those looks a fair bit different.(check pics of SW W.A. subs) Has anyone got an Idea on what variant of subs are down here? Anyone got any evidence to suggest they are native to here?

I can supply a spore print for bona fide mycropsy if anyone is interested?My treat, It would by no means be the cleanest or contam free print. So seriously only for mycropsy. I vary rarely see ones bigger than a 50 cent peice.

I'm just curious.

I would also like to know if P. subaeruginosa does actually have the historically stated similar species australiana, eucalypta etc or whether subs naturally exhibit a variety of types across a range of habitats. Early mycologists Identified them clearly and confidently in literature but were visitors here temporarily and australias mycology regarding P species was not advanced then. Whats to say they didnt invent a few cool exotic australian names to enhance their foray results, overlooking the adaptivity and variability of the subaeruginosa species? Id love someone to show me more than bluemeanies site and J.Allens + Watling book. They describe all subs inc tasmaniana in canberra (referenced sometimes as near sydney) at similar, easily accessed habitat zones at transition zones between pine and euc. Whats to prove its even a true long term native species? Given the similarity between it and P.Azure' and P.cyan' a wild theory might be that it spread from the US via timbers used for australian logging and had to adapt to local woods plus the ultimately used pinus radiata and ponderosa. Arboreums inc different US trees were common in australias past and surely plant/forestry exchange ocurred along with knowledge exchange between aust and the pacific northwest during the early 19th century gold rushes and later forestry industry growth. There has been a historic land use connection between the pacific NW america and the areas of australia u find subs. With my satisfactory grasp of ecology i know that would mean a species evolving into a new one within 150-200 years though - fast! but perhaps in the fungal universe this is possible? A more conservative theory is they r native and may have many known and undiscovered cousins around the world that are similar due to comparable ecosystems and ancient genotype or spore dispersal by air, water or animal. Imagine that subs are the children of pacific nw azures ancestors - thousands of years of spore dispersal and it eventually establishes at NZ and aust (does sth america have sub similar?) in suitable environment types, spreads and morphs into its current species. Better still imagine it the opposite and subs being the 'parents' of pacific nw species or others :) While we're here we should also ponder ancient animals, aboriginal, islanders, chinese and mythical atlantian/egyptian/asian/mayan supermen dispersal. Or it is humbly its own australian species evolved from ancient gondwana-cybe and is who it is and hasnt been studied enough for anyone to conclusively prove otherwise nor what botanical variation it displays. sorry to write so much

I think that even if Subaeruginosa does have a wide range of characteristics, there will still be noticable varieties around Australia(eg. wavy caps) not a separate species , but certainly a distict variety. If the natural selection is done by nature then it's a variety. If strains are developed and improved/selected by humans, they are known as a cultivar. Has anyone experienced distict races when searching at different places or are they pretty much all the same? The pics above look quite different, especially in pin form. Ours are nowhere near that meaty or big as pins, and they are not that dark brown colour like in the pics above. Ours are a bit more orange and smaller. Maybe seasons and wheather also influence?

quote:

I vary rarely see ones bigger than a 50 cent peice.

Average sub weight down here is around 10grams each (fresh) big buggers , but not as meaty as Jacks.

wow. Ours are like 1 gram each and thats a big one. Normally like 2 to a gram (fresh)What would be the cause of the diff in size? genetics or conditions? does anyone know of big ones in the south west? or of small ones else where? I thought it was odd when people say "only had three for a good result"!

Dam those subs sure are meaty :D Here in SA we dont get biggins like that - which i have'nt seen or heard of anyway. It is very interesting noting subs from different locations, I think its a factor of weather and growing conditions which make Vic subs so meaty and potent, but i really dont know, Bluemeanie what are your thoughts?

i cant wait to get a pic of the subs we get here in the central west up,,they look heaps different,,paler in color with a really pointy cap(and rather small and they blue-up big time).they seem heaps more potent than the ones i tried in melbourne-3 and ur just about on ur ass.(but damn they are hard 2 find)

i swear as soon as i have my camera fixed(dropped z camera and shattered the lens) i will post them .subs rock.

be good to see more habitat shots accompanying photos!

i get em all down here, thick stems, thin stems, wavy caps, straight caps, long stems, short stems, anywhere from pinning to rounder than a coffee cup (pics in the gallery somewhere).

also find color is extremeley variable.

found one the other week that was so wavy it was a U shape. also have found most variations growing together or at least close by (eg. same yard) i think its mainly growing conditions, one thing i have noticed is wavy caps tend to grow straight up while straights tend to have a fair bit of stem horizontaly under ground.

something id like to know is whether they continue growing after dropping spores

The subs in wodonga/albury region vic/nsw are VERY meaty. and i mean VERY.

After eating 10 subs, ive been physically half full. although the one time this happened i ate the biggest sub ive ever seen which was probably twice the biggest in the picture there..i dont know why i didnt take a picture..probably didnt have a camera at that point in time. oh well

But yea, so if that helps anyone, the border region gets quite meaty little buggers.

P.S by subs, i of course mean subs from subway. :rolleyes: