The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

Chantarelles

How good are chantarelles to eat?

The one's I'm thinking of are big, coloured orange with green stains, gilled, and have a cupped cap.

I know of a pine forest where they grow all over the place.

Do you think any restaurants would be interested?

In germany we call Chanterelles "Pfifferlinge" and they are our favourite mushrooms. I love them. I wish I could get them here...

They're not regarded as a good drying mushroom and generally are used in soups or to produce absolutely devine mushroom souce...Haven't had them for ages and it's really painfull for me to write about this...

na, no good dried.

how do mushrooms do frozen for storage?

it would ruin the texture.... but should still be fine for sauces?

I promise to post a chanterelle souse recipe, but first have to double check with my mother in law. may take a few days...

Also, a good and traditional way of preparing milk caps is: caps - clean and slice. warm up some butter, throw mushrooms in. fry for a while till change colour. in the meantime beat an egg or too and throw it in at the end of frying. mix egg with mushrooms. serve with a fresh french roll etc. If you prefer it more 'loose' add a small quantity of cream to a beaten egg. season with salt and pepper only. Unfortunatelly, I'll have to wait for it another 18 months, because it's when we're planning to visit relatives in Europe and, coincidentally, it'll be a muoshroom season over there...still - always worth a wait.

cheers

Vanda

Poeple grow the mycelia of these to try and get the same taste... They require weird bacterium to grow properly - making it hard to cultivate.

Thanks for the recipe Vanda, I plan to go hunting soon. :)

Why do you have to wait 18 months, don't they grow in Victoria?

i gotta try the frying them with eggs, sounds yum. We got a shitload of them at the moment i dont think we can go through them all.

Milkcaps do. I was referring to chanterelles...I've never seen them here.

hmmm okay im not sure then. What's Lactarius Deliciosus known as? It's a pretty big orange mushroom, with green stains, gilled bottom, hollow stem and bleeds an orangy milk when cut. - I think that's a milkcap right? but from strangebres description it's also known as the Chantarelle, am i wrong?

Nup, my mistake.

I'm actually talking about milk-caps, I initally mentioned green stains up the top but no one picked me up on it. Other than that the 2 types seem to look fairly similar except Chantarelles have a frilly cap.

So there's no reason to feel jealous anymore. :)

Re:Chanterelles(real ones ) they can be dried but if they are they are better for stews because they can go a bit tough, and they can also be frozen. There's a website I can blame if I'm wrong on this. :D

Lactarius deliciocus have a slightly bitter taste which is best disguised in the following way:

-trim stem right back

-place on a greased tray, gills upward

-rub minced garlic/chilli/thyme/other herbs into the gills

-sprinkle with salt and a little pepper

-drizzle some nice balsamic vinegar and olive oil over them

-roast for around 15-20 mins.

Yum!

I first had milk-caps prepared this way from the Pan Roma restaurant in Leichhardt. No idea where they got them from, although I've also seen them for sale at Paddy's markets.

strangebrew - well i'm no expert on edible wild mushrooms but i think milkcaps are allright. I've been eating them since my early childhood, my family and our friends would go pick milkcaps and fry them up there on the spot over a campfire.

I haven't had any for a long time until recently. It just brings back memories - has a nostalgic feel to it :)

I've only ever had them this way, never dried or in a soup or anything.

Anodyne - true they do have a slightly bitter taste which is strange because i remember i used to love to eat these and now i think, "yeh they're ok... kinda bitter"

I shall try out your method, probably use the garlic... mmmm garlic.

There are chanterelles in OZ if you go looking in bluegum plantations or in the SW of WA under Marri (Corymbia calophylla) or Karri (Eucalyptus diversicolor). They can be abundant and some people have suggested that plantations we deliberately innoculted to secure a second income while waiting for the tree crop to mature

Cantharellus cinnabarinus var australiensis

Heres some links to the species if not the variety

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexp...nnabarinus.html

(ours often looks like the 3rd pic down)

Also would love a Lac deliciosus print if anyone can do one- id like to put them on my pine trees. Ive implanted Coprinus comatus, Lepista nuda and Fly alonside the existing LBMs and Suillus. Love to add Boletus edulis one day too :)

ive got a light print here froma wild speciment - i dont know how viable its gonna be.

im sure more will come up

why dont you give it a go - rehydtae in a syringe and put on the roots of a suitable host

i found a few boletus luteus today as well as some nice fresh lactarius, doing a few milkcap prints and one bolete print if anyone wants