The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
luckydog

Growing ps cubensis

hi, can somone tall me if micelium of ps cubensis will the grow on raye, or it has to be brown rice only?

is you mean rye grain then yeah it loves the shit.

anyone know if a grass seed mix (perennial ryegrass, annual ryegrass and little bit of couch) is okay, thinking of using for a Pan. species (inactive of course).

Domesticated spore races of P cubensis are arguably the easiest mushroom in the world to grow indoors

Easier than oysters even..

There isnt much thats even a little nutritious that it wont eat.

It has the capacity to feed as a primary and secondary decomposer eg will eat subtsrate directly or can also feed off other bacteria and actinomycetes living on the compost - like agaricus (button mushrooms) do.

Ther are also variants that can eat wood and paper based materials if supplemented - the strain B plus is the most common one of those.

I have seen Cubensis eating hemp string balls that were steriised and the hole filled with spawn.

so yes just about any cereal based carbohydrate source you can find if adjusted as to its physical properties (Aeration etc) it can eat

Re Pan on grass seed

Im about to start on a pictorial grow log of the species Panaeolus solidipes syn. Annelaria solidipes whose growth habits are fairly analogous to the rest of the clan.

Rye grass seed or any other untreated pasture grass seed is excellent spawn material for most species that originate in a pasture or grassland environment (see the rule of thumb emerging?).

[ 12. September 2003, 22:06: Message edited by: reville ]

thank you for the advice,

well, i'm a begginer, i've got the equadorian strain and was following the mushmush recepie to grow on brown rice, but they talk of substrate that can be mixed by shaking. the rice is glued together and doesn't fall apart while shaking. i thought that ray seeds would be better. now i have to find an organic ray seeds supplier. i think any health food store should have it.

Rye is a pain in the arse as a spawn material

Nothing but problems with contaminantion as it seems to harbour spores deep inside the grain.

Rice wont shake but it makes great cakes

Try millet or wheat soaked for 24hours with a few caps of bleach added. Then rinse, cook shortly, drain and put into jars.

the bleach polishes off even more contam.

And please take into consideration that intending to cultivate this undefined 'Equadorian' species may be construed as having an illegal intent so be a bit wary of blurring the distinction between knowing and doing.

Anyone know if popped corn works ok?

You could have your cake AND eat it too

I don't believe its neccessary to have peroxide in Spawn Jars... esp. if you PC them properly to begin with.

Peroxide at 3% inhibits spore germination and non-adapted mycelium temporarily

It cant substitute for bleach at this concentration

35% peroxide can but IMHO is more dangerous than bleach - personal experience and pain.

Bleach really does a good job and gets washed out when you rinse the grain before cooking, any left over volatilises during cooking or p/c'ing

its great stuff.

Popped corn works fine as a suuplement for woodlovers mixed with paper spawn or sawdust spawn but unfortunately it loses structure when wet

Cracked corn and lime soaked Maize make good spawn grains. fast to colonise and not commonly contaminating but unfortunatley they are poor in amino acids particularly tryptophan.

maybe if you supplemented with soybeans.

Peroxide is ceratinly not necessary if you PC but added afterwards it does add a barrier to recontamination. But you need to use adapted cultures( ie off Peroxide agar) or it takes too long to start.

Itll kill spores.

The othe upside of peroxide in the substrate is higher oxygen levels which speeds colonisation deep down

Probably regular household bleach. Sodium Hypochlorite.

Just wondering how mush peroxide per volume you would add to a Sterilised substrate??

I try not to use bleach - i use h202 agar, but thats it. I dont think its that necessary - an extra 20 minutes in the PC if your worried is safer in my opinion. Ive spent countless hours hassling Hippie on the shroomery and others who soak everything in bleach and all sorts of other weird shit.

As for cubies eating lignious substrates - ive read that from THE, and as about half the information on that site is incorrect, id be interested to see how they think this one strain of cubensis has the necessary enzymes that the others lack and is able to fruit off lignious substrates. Last time we were told that, it was PES trying to sell the Azure/cubensis 'hybrid' which turned out to be just another cubensis - B+.

It could be true, but id take it with a pinch of salt. Ryche Hawk talks through his arse all the time.

Ive fruited pans of rye grass seed and they did fine - but not as healthy as when fruited of stock=-standard bulk shit.