The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

:huh:

:huh: Edited by Rev

might be a bit beyond the scope of what you're planning but are you looking at stocking any reading materials?

rev can only stock reading materials about 100% legal shroom species. However SAB could stock some of the more interesting books. which one are you after?

..which is a pity becausethe same books that outline psilocybe cultivation are also extremely useful texts in general

Even stamets and chiltons' 'the mushroom cultivator' falls under this grouping

Most places ive seen actually just link off site to amazon. My amazon texts have always arrived unmolested. any people have other experiences?

books are a hideously expensive stock item and im not likely to be stocking any for a while but i will be trawling the net for good links and downloads

Anyway, yes, the business is 100% legal. Im going to be quite strict on this in correspondence within the business. After all the australian enthusiast dont need another spokesperson, or academic mycologist, taxonomist or Apothecary - plenty of that already and thyer doing a fine job - they need a good supplier to get on with their hobby

so just in case youre wondering - no - Cube prints and such will not be on my shopping cart - but anything else can be.

At the moment im tracking down the missing elements in some basic mycology kits and supplies that will make culture at home of any saprophytic mushroom much much more accessible.

There will be kits and instructions, and there will be straight supplies.For example you'll be able to buy spore syringes or cultures of some edible fungi, or use the premade media and spore syringe making kit to culture your own local species. All nice and easy with an online shopping function and dicrete shipping to avoid theft or other problems.

Itll be aimed at begginners needs but im sure those with experience will also find it a convenient source.

Like SAB states its intention as helping to build plant relationships i hope that we can encourage people to build closer relationships with the 'Fifth Kingdom'

my first priorities are getting it running with quality service, products and feedback from happy customers.

693900091.jpg

[ 22. April 2003, 21:31: Message edited by: reville ]

Torsten:

rev can only stock reading materials about 100% legal shroom species.  However SAB could stock some of the more interesting books. which one are you after?

can't think of the title but i'm sure DL knows what it's called. i think stamets figures in the authoring and the cover possibly features blue(from what passes for memory) and it deals with edibles and such. also if s.a.b is inclined towards stocking books,ETC then i'll be all over that. and more power to you rev!

Yep, WD I know the book, was it the one I won unfairly from Rev? Or did I bring it in secondhand? Rev?

When I used to grow I had trouble getting Silica Gel for drying. I ended up finding a chemical supplies place that sold kilo containers of it. It was good as you could dry it without heat.

Scotty - I have never cultivated mushrooms and don't know what the silica gel is used for, but if you just need a desiccant, go to the hardware shop and get a carton of "Damp-Rid" (calcium chloride, used for drying rooms before painting). It works very well and very quickly - difficult to re-use though.

Rev,

I guess you will be stocking edibles will you? Also, luminous fungi kits would be cool, especially if their mycelium is luminous then you could have a jar of it slowely growing and glowing

(http://www.fungi.com/info/articles/luminescent.html)

ps: Damp-rid is much better at drying volume material than silica gel (the dust of silica gel with cobalt indicator(pink-blue) is carcinogenic as well)

reville:

you must mean Wood blewitts? Lepista nuda

Covered in stamets and chilton ' the mushroom cultivator'

and in

'Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms'

not sure how i missed these responses but the book i'm seeking is indeed 'growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms' i'll make a space available for it on the bookshelf and track the bugger down.

waterdragon - I've PMed you with an australian booksource. Will find out if they stock this regularly and if so will post the contact here.

I can add Hypholoma Capnoides, Armillaria Tabescens, Aegerita (sp?) and a few other newies.

Can't recommend the stropharia's too highly as a low maintenance crop, Rev seeded some patches around the yard here and they've been coming up regularly for months with little maintenance ( ie none ).

Not the most outstanding tasting mushroom, not salad material or anything, but great for adding to sauces and not bad with butter and a bit of chervil ( parsley might be a bit heavy ) on toast ( I like toast, and you never forget the recipie )

Specially recommend strophs for ppl who live away from the shops and don't always have as many fresh mushrooms in the fridge as they might like

DL - which stropharia species? I've seen at least three around my hunting grounds - rugosannulata and at least two different white ones - one has a sweetish smell and pale-brown scales in the centre of the cap sometimes, and the other is plain shiny white, thin cap and smells strongly but not particularly good (or bad, really, just sort of musty).

But yeah, great for low maintenance. I threw some rugosannulata scraps in the cowshit underneath the tomatoes in the vege garden, and they were coming up everywhere. Better-tasting and thicker flesh than the other strophs I've found. Also seem to grow a little slower, so they're good to eat for a little bit longer.

I forgot.

Mycorrhyzal inoculants (native and foreign) would be cool as well.

Little hazelnut seedlings innoculated with truffle would be good too.

How about it?

E D

would truffle digging pigs be a stocked item too? or could you just order them in as needed?

on a slightly more serious note. those innoculated bags of edibles would have to be pretty light, couldn't be much of a problem to post those out for the more spare-time challenged among us. i'd be all over a couple of those.

Guest electro

rev how about pre fabd grow tanks ?

or at least a convenient place to find things for them .....

aquarium pumps, heaters, low voltage fans, low wattage grow / fluro lights, ultrasonic humidifyers, dehumidification chambers (so the us humidifyer can be run 24/7 without saturating your babies :) ) timers (for light, airflow & humidification control). Heck you could probably even stock sensors, a free linux distro & charge a small fee for the cd to burn it to (or stock lindows & charge it's full amount) to run that control program that peeps are using to control humidity (in real time based on feedback) and light / airflow cycles.

i dont know if any of that is viable, but its cool stuff thats related *shrug*

anyhoo, good luck with it :)

quote:

Ill put drierite on the shopping list...

Dampsorb can easily be found at Bunnings or hardware stores