The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

Man gets life sentence for selling designer drugs online

quote:

NORFOLK, Va. -- An Arizona man was sentenced to life in prison Tuesday for selling designer drugs over the Internet that led to the overdose death of a New York teenager.

David Linder, also known as Dr. Benway, was convicted in February of 27 counts, including drug conspiracy and money laundering. The federal jury found Linder was responsible for the death of Phillip Conklin, 18, of Hancock, N.Y. Authorities said Linder's sentencing was especially harsh because of the teenager's death.

Linder also was ordered to pay $700,000, the amount the government said he made selling the drugs.

Linder, 52, testified that the drugs he sold were "research chemicals" and not federally banned narcotics. But prosecutors said the chemicals were generic equivalents of hallucinogenic drugs such as Ecstasy.

Linder sold the drugs from a link off a landscaping supplies Web site. The link on the site led to a page titled "Research Chemicals."

Federal law prohibits possession and sale of analogous versions of illegal substances.

"This sentencing accurately reflects the tremendous harm caused by the defendant's drug trafficking," U.S. Attorney Paul J. McNulty said in a statement. "It also sends a clear warning of what may happen to anyone who pushes drugs over the Internet."

web page

shit - I've been enjoying Dr Benway's rambles for quite a while. Never clicked that he is David Linder.

Bugger, he will be missed !!!

So, before I miss out on another connection, is this also the same guy commonly known as 'pondman'?

Yep, he's pondman :(

They even go to say that:

quote:

Thanks to the psychedelic intensity of these drugs, few of the chemicals have made it as street or club drugs. Their use is generally championed by "psychonauts", drug hobbyists, usually young men, who experiment alone or in small groups, exchanging information online.

So isnt it better that this group of people are taking these "RC's" instead of the other option of street grade illicit drugs like ecstasy "pills" and other amphetamines that do MUCH more damage.

I mean, there have been so few reported deaths due to RC's since they became more mainstream (except when passed of as "pills"), wouldnt it be better for them to let it slide so to speak.. I think regulation of these substances could never happen but IMO the law turns a blind eye to other much worse things.

Here are some links to the stories located at the shroomery

Man to serve life in prison after teen's overdose

Dawn raids mark crash of online designer drugs trade

[ 30. May 2005, 10:24: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

so what was he selling? I thought pondman was selling G and 1,4. But from the news it appears he also sold PEA's and tryptamines too. Anyone got a copy of his catalog saved?

gamma hydroxy butyrate and 1,4-butanediol. the latter is what most people know as G in australia.

Pond used to be a source for 1,4 and GBL when it was legal in the USA to do so.

There are records for his application to sell and distribute such molecules

after the schedualing and control of such.

quite a interesting read into his state of mind...

(supporting his insanity defense).

He did sell quite a few phen and trypt's including 5-MEP DIPT.

even after it was specifically illegalized in the states.

He often made serious errors in the filling of orders

it was well known that he was "nice" but very unstable

"and only a matter of time... "

and I feel for those people that are on his client lists.

[ 30. May 2005, 21:18: Message edited by: Flip ]

I was speaking to some random dude at the pub on friday night, I was surprised to find that he was interested in plants and the like, I was more surprised when he asked me if I had tried any RC's and then told me how he had purchased some 2C-I from the net

Lucky dude.

what really sucks is he got more time for 1 death(out ov the 1000's he'd supplied)

i would love to see the makers ov paracetamol & asprin held responsible for every death caused by the abuse, or allergic reactions to their product.

it aint gonna happen though

apparently he had a few wise words for the judge who did not appreciate them :rolleyes:

Defending yourself on matters of principle will usually lead to more severe sentences.

Holy shit! This is the first i've heard of this right now. Benway was an awesome dude with awesome products. He always had really good prices too.

Every day I become more and more disgusted with this fucked up world we live in.

This is beyond fucked up.

-Chemical Shaman

He gets 410 years over somebody dying from an overdose. But where I live a dude beat a guy to death on the beach with his bare hands because he was black and got 7 years.

No shit, it happened when I was a teenager, the guy is out now and free to roam the streets livin it up.

yeah that sounds fair

-Chemical Shaman

when i was at school a classmate girl stapped her younger brother to death, multiple stab wounds, here and she got off with nothing. there was witnesses and all and she admited, sure she went through enough with her family and she was a nice girl and he was a nice girl. the school backed her all the way and helped her so she passed grade 12 during the ordeal. i always wondered if i got busted for drugs would they back me and support me and try and get me out??