The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
marsha

importing lophophora

are there any legal way to bring live catus back from usa or mexico?

This post proves I am a dickhead.

I freely admit that.

[ 17. May 2005, 13:56: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Originally posted by planthelper:

apo, he didn't say peyote.

Yes he did. Lophophora = peyote

it says Lophophora in the title.

Yowie: no (or rather, if you can find a legal way to bring in MDMA then the same would probably apply to Loph

This also applies to L. diffusa?

technically not, but practically yes.

r. Jackson, there's no mescaline in L. diffusa, but afaik picking any lophophora is illegal, and customs ain't gonna know the difference.

y dont ppl just buy in oz? a few webstore have it and garden world sell it although i've only seen l. casepitosa there! :(

aaron

i want big fat buttons no one sells any big fat buttons if someone has a big fat button pm me and i will buy it for good money big fat peyote pumpkins

[ 18. May 2005, 06:35: Message edited by: YoWiE ]

www.urbantribes.com.au ...but I'm inclined to say that if you want big fat buttons you should grow them yourself.

What shits me is that you want to pick buttons that will have taken many decades to get to the size you want, not the small ones, of an endangered species.

What does this mean? Less specimens of flowering age to continue the species.

And I say without inhibition that for that, you should be ashamed of yourself.

why should i be ashamed i am not going to kill them u are a meanie pants i had some mandarin sized buttons on pedro stock and a grub destroyed the lot one winter i have close to 100 seedlings growing so to be guilty of harming the species is silly. all i want is a couple of big fatties to look at is that such a bad thing grumpy?

ok no probs buddy i am a bad bad man who is attempting to take advantage of the desert conditions i live in to grow a nice cactus garden a bad bad man who is destroying the species thanks you have made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Yowie, the more you remove from the natural habitat, the less there will be to continue the species there.

You might have a hundred, or five hundred specimens growing in your backyard, but what about in habitat?

Do you feel the same way about tiger hunting? Or pandas? Do you feel it's right for people to take pandas from their forest homes and keep them elsewhere while wild populations dwindle?

The argument is moot anyway, it's illegal, and that's the answer to the question you asked.

Yowie, it doesn't really matter if you intend to grow them once you get them home, the point is that you will take an remnant indiginous plant from it's natural area, of which it's already being overharvested afaik, so it's decreasing the genetic diversity as well as population.

Then again I suppose leaving the root behind to regrow from is sustainable(eventually), but my belief would be that it must be harvested by a native person or in the supervision of them. BUT again this large plant could have produced heaps of seed within the time that it takes to flower from the buttom regrowth.

HEAPS of people want to do the same and heaps have already taken large lophs from the wild, if it continues...well we all know what happens. Everyone has different views on conservation, though i feel wild lophs are definately high on the list of plants not to be touched by anyone other than indiginous folks for cultural use.

My .2c

ok i have been growled at enuff now :)

Originally posted by Torsten:

[QB] Originally posted by planthelper:

apo, he didn't say peyote.

Yes he did. Lophophora = peyote

it says Lophophora in the title.

my mistake ups,

hmm no wonder, i had just arrived back from the stars.

i overlooked the title, my apolo 2 apo, hehe!

:D

yowie - I think the problem with your question is that you are suggesting the removal of an endangered species from its habitat for your personal horticultural enjoyment. Surely you weren't suggesting that that is OK? That is after all how many oif these species became andangered in the first place and which is why they are CITES listed.

Now, if you were asking for big mofo lophs from germany or japan, where they have been cultivated for many decades and are hence more easily available in that size, then that would be a different thing.

apothecary:

r. Jackson, there's no mescaline in L. diffusa, but afaik picking any lophophora is illegal, and customs ain't gonna know the difference.

From the site 'visionary cacti':

Lophophora diffusa -

A sacred plant held in high esteem by many Mexican Indians. A rare and very slow growing solitary cactus that is limited to a small range in the wild, now sadly threatened. A two year old specimen can be only 2 cm across. This cactus is soft, yellow green in color, having indefinite ribs and a 15 cm long conical, carrot like root. It is very similar in appearance to its more famous relative. Known to bloom in its 3rd year, with whitish yellow flowers.

Being spineless it appears to defend itself by being very unobtrusive and barely sticking out of the ground, and by its extremely bitter taste. Contains only traces of mescaline. Produces a dream-like delirium with realistic hallucinations similar to Datura alkaloids due to its high content of (tetrahydro) isoquinolines. This plant appears to be an earlier evolutionary form of L. williamsii.

Contains: anhalinine, anhalonidine, hordenine, isopellotine, mescaline , N-methylmescaline, O-methylpellotine, pellotine

--> only traces .. but perfect is perfect :D

[ 18. May 2005, 11:40: Message edited by: amanito ]

lol sorry mate I didn't mean to sound pissed off at you, because i'm not. Just explaining things that's all. :)

Japan ey? japanese cactus nursery, i reckon that would be pretty damn spiffy, you'd get some odd looking things in there, lots of penis bridgesii i bet!! hahaha

Great plants, but a bit to expensive.

Wanna hear something funny? Today I saw 7 year old peyote bein' sold for 375 dollar on a online shop.

Lol, who's goin' to be that stupid ? :D

$375? Medicine garden used to charge about the same for their grafted ones :rolleyes:

yep, it's still on that site. He's taken down the ridiculous prices on his http://www.peyote.com.au website, but not at Mecidine Garden

ZLOW3 Peyote Lophophora williamsii 3year $ 110.00 Buy it

ZLOW2 Peyote Lophophora williamsii 2year $ 66.00 Buy it

ZLOW6 Peyote Lophophora williamsii 6year $ 275.00 Buy it

ZLOW4 Peyote Lophophora williamsii 4year $ 154.00 Buy it

ZLOW5 Peyote Lophophora williamsii 5year $ 220.00 Buy it

ZLOW8 Peyote Lophophora williamsii 8year $ 440.00 Buy it

SLOW Peyote Lophophora williamsii 1pkt $ 22.00 Buy it

ZLOW7 Peyote Lophophora williamsii 7year $ 385.00 Buy it

ZLOWC Peyote, Clumping from Lophophora w. Caespitosa fro $ 44.00 Buy it

ZLOW Peyote, from Lophophora williamsii from $ 44.00 Buy it

SLOED Peyote, Yellow Lophophora diffusa 1pkt $ 22.00 Buy it

[ 18. May 2005, 19:47: Message edited by: Torsten ]

Haha, that's just ridiculous .. are there really people who buy that ?