The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gomaos

Brisbane EB Group RIP, wake up

Yes my camping trip thread was at fault for the Newbiefobia, I am very sorry for it :( and I feel I need to explain myself.

Originally I put the idea of the camping trip out to the community to expand on after my own personal camping trip of mostly "reg's" from the IRC chatroom was getting quite large and the rain check of EB05 had been announced.

Torsten, I did say that I wanted it to be a camping trip for regulars in my very first posts however from early on the co-organizer and I had trouble defining exactly what a "regular" was and then shortly after I received a bit of a dressing down about the issue from a couple of people in the camping trip thread so I felt that I had no choice but to make it open to anyone that wants to come and that is still the case.

In hindsight I would have done it via PM's but hindsight is always a lot sharper than my foresight.

It had little to do with elitism or snobbery (I hate these things) and I think a lot of the confusion or stress may have something to do with my idea of a "regular" and others idea of a "regular" being quite different because I also still consider myself a Newbie here.

I think of a "regular" as someone who has made a genuine effort to make himself/herself known to the rest of the community, shared some of himself/herself with them through regular posting on the forums. not someone who has posted 'X' number of posts or been a member for 'X' number of years.

My main reason for wanting to make it for regulars was because when I first started to plan the trip I had wanted to make it a very special affair, I wanted to take the group to some of the special places I have found in the area and do some things that only a close group could do, so through this and my own fear of a loose cannon showing up I kept pushing the idea, maybe a little to hard. this was only through good intentions though..

I never said I was good at organizing this kind of thing and that was another reason I put it out to the community and gratefully accepted some help. I'm just trying my best on this one and dont worry everyone I wont be doing it again.

The problem is people have complained to me about being worried about newbieX or newbieY (yes more than one person has complained about more than one other person) and I have to say something.

Do you?? Maybe if oldieX isn't comfortable with newbieY then that is oldieX's problem. I know that there are some oldies who won't go to brisbane meets for exactly that reason. So what?!? If a meeting has an all inclusive policy then that's the policy and oldies just have to deal with it or miss out. It might not be perfect, but the other option is a lot less attractive.

btw, this was not a personal criticism of anyone. I was just pointing out how all this is coming across to newbies and where the confusion originates.

I did say that I wanted it to be a camping trip for regulars in my very first posts however from early on the co-organiser and I had trouble defining exactly what a "regular" was and then shortly after I received a bit of a dressing down about the issue from a couple of people in the camping trip thread so I felt that I had no choice but to make it open to anyone that wants to come and that is still the case.

It was the confusion between you and your co organiser that really started the spread of the discussion. I personally agree with you that a trip for regulars is very different then one that is open to all. I think there was good reason to keep the camping trip a regulars affair and I am somewhat surprised you have swayed from that. I don't think it has anything to do with elitism. It was merely to ensure there is some familiarity between the members attending and I think this would be an important aspect of such a trip. As I said, I am surprised this has changed and I feel that if it had been clearbetween the organsiers from the beginning it would have never become an issue.

As an analogy, while the brisbane meets are open to anyone, these meets spawn other private groups, workshops and outings, which are only open to regulars asnd are organised by individuals for whoever they feel they are comfortable with. It does not exclude anyone because anyone could in time reach that level of familiarity. I see these more intimate meetings as an acknowledgement of each individual's input rather than a given right of anyone who breezes by for a few weeks.

I never said I was good at organising this kind of thing and that was another reason I put it out to the community and greatfuly accepted some help. Im jst trying my best.

I think you are doing great and I think the event will be spectacular. Just trying to identify and smooth over a few of the bumps that have arisen ;)

But first i wanna hear some noise from people first (esp gomaos to see if you can make it)

well, Salviador, if you may remember;

The reason we started having meets at my place was that I had complained about the botanical garden meetings being to hard for me to follow up because I could never get a babysitter and it was almost impossible to child-mind while trying to follow a meeting in the gardens.

That's why I gave up coming to the "Garden-meetings."

However, now Oscar has grown and is a lot wiser and understanding, and also a lot less "whincey/whinchy"(spelling!!!!), and I think a couple of hours in the botanical gardens won't harm him at all...

also now I have good transport, and at that time I had to rely on buses which are hard to find on weekends...

So yeah no probs here....

Re Newbies:

yeah I had noticed that newbies were getting worried, getting quite a few emails requesting to come to my place, which is generally ok, unless there was a very valid reason for someone to question if they are welcome at my place at a meeting...

one email asked if "NOOBS" were ok...

well I didn't get it straight away and thought maybe "Noobs" are some eccentric cult, or some unknown new sexual orientation, which had me slightly worried, so I requested that this person explain himself...

upon reading this thread I found out later that Noobs are noobies, newbies...

oh well......

ahhh, the infamous satanic cult of Noob strikes again :P

Hey All,

OK, looks like I may have triggered a tiny poop storm by worrying whether newbies are 'allowed' at these meets. So let me explain myself, since i might have been one of the straws that broke the camel's back. :innocent_n:

I was really hesitant in even asking about the meet (which at first I'd only seen on the 'forthcomming events calendar', before I found this thread), NOT because I saw any hostility towards newbies anywhere on this forum, but because you seem to all know each other so well, often in RL, and I've just started to become active on the forum and have never knowingly met any of you. So it's just good ol' social awkwardness, is all.

Absolutely everyone on the forum has in my experience been great, especially since in my dearth of knowledge, I've been mostly leeching info, and asking questions, rather than offering help.

Anyway, I will definately be there. And if it's a show of hands kinda deal, then I vote Mt. Coot-tha. Mainly because I'll be on my way home from work going past there, and I haven't been to the gardens in years. But either way is good.

Oh, and I'm militantly vegan, so apologies in advance for not contributing to a meat bbq... but I'll make up for that in any way possible. (And those chowing down on pigs and cows or whatever need not worry, you'll not hear a peep out of me! -_- )

See you then,

NP

PS. Have really got to change my name... if only I could figure out how...

PS. Have really got to change my name... if only I could figure out how...

why??

but if you must, there is a thread in the site matters forum with instructions

Hey All,

OK, looks like I may have triggered a tiny poop storm by worrying whether newbies are 'allowed' at these meets. So let me explain myself, since i might have been one of the straws that broke the camel's back.

Dont feel bad about it NP, in fact its probabaly a good thing that it has been brought to a head and discussed, I know I feel a lot better now.

why??

but if you must, there is a thread in the site matters forum with instructions

Just because it's such a goofy, adolescent-sounding kind of name. But yeah, I'd read that forum soon after posting my last message here, so I know the procedure, but also all the reasons for not changing my name.

I guess I'll leave it be. I mean, we don't get to chose our names in RL, right?

Cheers,

NP

Dont feel bad about it NP, in fact its probabaly a good thing that it has been brought to a head and discussed, I know I feel a lot better now.

Well I'm glad at least someone sees some good in it. :)

NP

Well, we cant organise the botanical gardens coz we would need a generator, to power the music, so, roma st parklands it is! Its still a really nice spot and i promise all will have a good time. Its especially good because we will have the parks blessings to be there. Last time we were there a big burly security guard came up and asked for ouvr papers! upon showing them, he told us if we had any rapscallions attending to inform him at once and he would help us out.

Were thinking of doing some vegetarian, any ideas for bbqable veggie stuff. we could stock up on salads i spose?

So were booking it from 11-6. Its in the top corner of the park just right of the amphitheatre if youre looking out from the stage (ie not in the audience) overlooking the train station.

Just because it's such a goofy, adolescent-sounding kind of name.

seriously dude... look at some of the other names on this forum... you don't need to worry about it sounding goofy or adolescent.

-bumpy

"EDIT: I think I should make myself even clearer. In m opinion newbies at meets are fucking great, I am quite respectful of the Adelaide meets where I hear newbies frequently turn up and are just as frequently amazed by the depth of tantras info, hell I want to go to an Adelaide meet myself!"

:D Your welcome to adelaide anytime apoth, as with all newbies are welcome :) the more the merrier, And the amazing and friendly people you meet is always a bonus ;) I mean i was a little ah afraid i guess to go to a meet but now im so glad i did :P lol gotta love the late post.... i just read the thread but anyway the reason i posted Was basicly to say meets rock and everyone is welcome i always look forward to them and end up having the best day :D

Hope it all goes well for u guys up in BrizVegas and Sydney

Andy you are doing a great job orgainising the camping trip mate B)

"seriously dude... look at some of the other names on this forum... you don't need to worry about it sounding goofy or adolescent."

Young Tripper.... :P

Peace

I am interested in attending the Brisbane meet, I ahve sent PM to Gomas and was wondering when we will ge tthe directions to the location of the meet. I am looking forward to meeting some ppl and getting to know them, be nice to share some knowelge and experiences, although all this people shyness has gotten me scraching my head. I can bring along a couple of Materia Medicas

newbies is a feeling we all experience, and i too feel noo. i have only met T,gomaos, and dodie303

over the last year, well i was reading this forum for maybe 6 months before i felt compeld to add a post.

i guess i feel noo still probly because text is so impersonal, and there is no face, but after metting T and gomaos i login everyday to see whats going on, i love this forum especially for the minds that arrive here, gomaos has always freely taught his knowledge every time i have met him.

and as for T i was kind of star stuck to have such a well repect persons opinion on how to care for my cacti in my apartment.

everyone came here to learn something i know i did, and i've still got a mountain to learn, who cares i enjoy it.

damn alcohol now i forgot what i really wanted to say, oh well

:) Edited by Rev

I'd like to go. Im new to this forum but have been hanging around EBA for some time. I've spoken to a few of you online. Do we need to bring food or anything? Also, is alcohol allowed in the park?

Do we need to bring food or anything?

Only if you want to eat :P

Hey guys, long time no speak. I ran into Brent at the shops the other day and he let me know what had been going on. My email I used for BrisEB has died multiple times over, so any resurrections that happened there were lost on me. Anyway, I'll see you guys this weekend.

Hey guys, just reminding everyone the plan is to meet at the roma st parklands (see my previous post for exact location)

However we have been fucked around the last couple of days. The probability is that we will still get this location, however in the spirit of keeping everyone up to date, i wish to formally advise you theres no guarantees. The people will reply to us tomorrow and we will know for sure. So worst comes to worst, we can still meet up at roma st and we might not have music. If this eventuates, i will pull out of nazi organiser mode and if the consensus is to meet up at gomaos or the botanicals in mt cootha then so be it. just post and have a vote type thingo.

As for the bbq, we can still have that, my partner in crime is gonna sort out some kebabs, and im gonna use my hardcore connections with the woolworths mafia to get cheap sausages breads and maybe salads. anyone who want to bring stuff bring stuff.

Finally weve already taken responsibility to the costs of renting the land, however if you wish to make a donation we will happily accept :)

People who post calendar dates need to take responsibility for keeping them up to date. Ideally such dates should be posted by the organiser for exactly that reason.

Could this be sorted out between salviador, andyamine and gomaos please (no need for me to interfere unless you need the current entry deleted).

All fixed now.

I added the calander entry because no one else had, I hadnt changed it up until now because I wasnt sure if the park had been secured or not, Ill leave the next one up to someone else.

All fixed now.

I added the calander entry because no one else had, I hadnt changed it up until now because I wasnt sure if the park had been secured or not, Ill leave the next one up to someone else.

TEH PARK HAS BEEN SOURCED!!!! plus at this point its free of charge which is fully sikk ey

however there has been some confusion as to where it is, so everyone who knows everyone let them know tis at roma st top right of the park when looking from the amphitheatre over looking the train station!!!!!

IM EXCITED :uzi:

sorry guys i cant go AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have to work so no can do.

but will catch up with gom real soon

have to thank gom for starting this tread eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:worship::worship: :worship:

So what the hell is exactly going on??

I didn't even see any mention of what the heck is going on??

As far as I was aware there is a meet at the ROMA ST Parklands... on SUNDAY.

It will be a combined EB\Psy-Chi ??

As far as I know there should be some great music... including a Mesq (Lounge Lizard) set :D