The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Sending cash in the mail is ILLEGAL

Quarantine opened an order (ie an order form and some banknotes) from the UK and passed their find onto customs. Customs impounded the mail item and the money and sent me a letter stating that the sender has broken the law and that if I want the money I have to contact them. All future money found in mail will be confiscated and surrendered to the state.

So, how much money was being illegally transferred between countries??

25 pounds (about AU$80)

Don't these fuckheads have anything better to do?? Like catch some real terrorists?

Sounds like customs found a new way to make money, steal it. What about money orders? Personal checks? Can we pay you in silver ingots or is paypal gonna be the only way to get money into Australia?

Another "sieg heil" for "mein fuehrer" Howard?

Rechts, rechts....

The real bad thing is that I have to live surrounded by fools who vote for this asshole...

In 3rd world countries like thailand they have x-ray machines for letters which pick up the silver stripes of banknotes even through the thickest cardboard...now australia becomes like them...our customs STEALS money now!

Don't worry Auxin, the way things are going Australia will probably soon be swapping over the American dollar anyway.

Well, I suppose that is if OPEC doesn't switch to the Euro or something "unforseen" like that.

Money order etc are fine. I guess they want to know about ALL money trasfers, no matter how small. Governments hate cash. It is a little ridiculous though and I am not quite sure how to deal with that yet.

does this mean my Grandma might get busted for sending me my next birthday card with a $10 in it?

-bumpy

theoretically, yes.

why would quarantine open a letter anyway?

did it have vegetable substances in it?

Thelema - we've been discussing mail openings here for a few months now, including letters. My estimate is about 3% of letters are opened, however this nmber quickly climbs to as high as about 30% if there is ANY object other than a flat piece of paper in it.

A couple of notes and a sheet of paper do not qualify as 'objects' here (which was the entire content of this letter in question).

However, a baggie, coin, folded notes, bubblewrap, etc do count as objects.

It's all part of the antiterrorist drama (anthrax).

& what about cashiers checks....

]if so , then they are truely madder then I though initially :D

that's got me thinking theo. stealth bombers are fairly flat, i'll get to work straight away. anyone want to send me all their spare paper?

having just passed through Australian Customs on an international flight i have to say that these guys are the most intrusive and rude bunch of officials i have ever met

When i gave my new address in NSW as a contact address they quickly siezed on it to grill me about why i was coming to perth then when i said i was moving to find work they grilled me about being a student (listed occupation) so why was i looking for work

the guy behind me got it worse , a chinese guy here on business - not only did the customs officer grill him about why he was in australia she gave him ethe third degree over the particulars of exactly who he worked for , where he was going etc

considering not a single piece of this ionformation was recorded for any official purpose i think it amounts to simple petty harrassment

Im actually really disappointed about australia on my return. People have always said that when i went overseas it'd impress on me how good australia was and how lucky i was to live here

Well since ive been back ive had mostly negative experiences and i seriously wish i could go back O/S. maybe its just been a bad day.

Theres a few excellent qualities to this society but these seem to be under serious threat of erosion and for the apparent liberties we do possess (mostly material ones) we pay a high cognitive, social and economic price

Good to see you back safe and sound rev, we missed you on our recent visit but "ul be buck". looking forward to a nice detailed report of your trip.

And yet i got a parcel opened with labelled copied cds that would have infringed copyright and passed them without a hitch