The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
medicinedan

moving large cacti

One of my mates wants a large cactus removed, he said if I get rid of it, its mine.

The cactus is like 10ft tall, there is several branches and offshoots at the base. I will probly use it as grafting stock.

Anyways, I was wondering what would be the best way to remove it?

(1) bring a machete and hack it of at the base, then callous and root it later?

or (2) bring a fork or shovel and try to get the roots so that I can plant it straight out?

I might try rooting it, but you would want a saw more likely than not.

Not knowing what type it is I would suggest trying to get some roots first, they tend to be shallow (though far reaching) and they can heal and regrow fairly quickly in many cacti.

Go at it Bonsai-harvesting style;

Take a shovel, and cut into the ground around one half of the base, cutting all the longer roots.

Then, come back a few weeks later and cut into the ground around the other side of the cactus.

This should give it a smaller rootball, and make it easier to remove.

Whilst reducing stress on the plant.

How far out from the base should you cut with the shovel? That depends on the size of the cactus, and what you think would be suitable...

is it possible to get a pic of it ?

it's a nice t.spachius (mind the crude spelling)

Yeah , i'm thinking, go in with a shovel and take some roots.

If it proves to be a pain in the arse, or anywhere else, literally, then i reckon i'll go to plan two and chop it in half (since i'll be using it for grafting anyways)

cut it in half

dig out bottom half clean off dirt and leave barerooted in the shade a few weeks or more then replant and water cautiosly till mid summer

take the top and callus

same deal

shes a good grafting stock but a marvellous flower as well

it makes a good fence close planted

the height on the ones ive seen os usually max 2.5m

yours sounds big

Done,,, thanks for the advice. I have planted the rooted sections straight out in dry dusty soil. I sprayed the roots with water before planting. Now I will resist watering for a month or so. They look so beautiful,,, they must recover.

Oh, and my friend confused me, he had two cactus's the 10ft cactus was a cereus peruvianus var monstrose (I think). The T.spa.. were about 5ft (the tallest 'rods') which I had to hack off.

trich.spa.JPG

normal_cereus.peruvianus,monstrose.JPG

hows the blueness on the monstrose compared to the spach! It's a monstrose isn't it?

looks like C per var monstrose as ive seen it in perth

Tha spach is fast growing a dn tough

only downside to grafting is they go corky faster

a minor issue really

Beautiful cacti you got there. I'd agree with your ID's too, but I'm no expert. :)

Please let us know how these guys go?

Just be patient with the monstrose sections, I've found that they can take a while to root.

Where you cut the rooted monstrose does the vascular ring just look like the spachianus?

The reason I ask is that I had a small C.monstrose that when I cut the base of it I found a solid fibrous inner core that was very tough to cut through that lead to a tap-root.