The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Old Man

Interaction of Cactus alkaloids + SSRI's

Was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Do cactus alkaloids have their potency decreased when taken by someone on Zoloft or other SSRI's?

I have done a search but couldn't find much.

I would assume Mescaline + SSRI's would be similar to MDMA + SSRI's. i.e. liitle or no effect.

quote:

I would assume Mescaline + SSRI's would be similar to MDMA + SSRI's. i.e. liitle or no effect.

What?

Now, I may be wrong, I'm the first to admit that. But, I thought that MDMA was an SSRI?

My understanding was that if you use SSRI's or MAOI's with MDMA, you run a risk of having a terrible crash and developing serotonin syndrome?

But, I don't take MDMA, so I can't claim a huge amount of knowledge. It wasn't necessary for me to know, as it's not a risk I'm ever taking.

Its common knowledge that MAOI's + MDMA or MAOI's + SSRI's are a bad idea. i.e Good chance of dying.

But from my past I remember trying MDMA whilst on Zoloft and having little effect.

I think MAOI's potentiate PEA's and SSRI's make PEA's less effective.

i remeber a post saying shroom's didn't do much because of ssri's, maybe bluemeanie posted that info....

elfspice and myselfe reported dmt as not beeing as effective after smoking sceletium extracts,

i guess (how shall i say with my non sientific lingo) the ssri's occupy the recepor foremost and the shroom and dmt actives could not pass through in the normal manor.

sceletium was boss and dmt had to wait in line??

bus mesc goes to another receptor as far as i remeber, so don't try anything unless others say it's ok to do so.

i say this because mesc has got some mdma like potential, so wait for what the others say!

i think to remeber even post saying the total opposite, meaning tha ssri's enhanced shrooms.

[ 13. June 2005, 09:28: Message edited by: planthelper ]

Indeed, SSRI's reduce the effects of most psychoactives. This is my opinion, the opinion of many a friend, and research of reports ect. Dont waste ur drugs when on SSRI's. It can be dangerous and is wastefull. Back in the day I found that 24-48hrs off medication (SSRI) was a good way to prepare for some shamanic activity.

SSRIs and other mood elevators can prevent or diminish effects of hallucinogens in general.

Some seem to affect some substances more than other substances and there also seems to be some variability from one person to the next.

It does not appear to be particularly well studied.

As a general statement you can say its true though.

It really makes sense though that if these things are saturating the synapse and receptors with higher than normal levels of serotonin as the new baseline state it will cause a lot of competition and/or just as likely desensitization due to the serotonin remaining present.

This latter phenomenon can be easily demonstrated in a more limited manner by smoking acacia resin repeatedly a dozen times and comparing what happened the first time to what happens the last time.

Serotonin is known to casuse a similar shortlived desensitization to itself.

This fact suggests that SSRIs do not actually cause a state where serotonin is more active due to its greater availability but rather that people on SSRIs become less susceptible to the potential input derived from serotonin's impact on their consciousness. That is not the current view of course.

but sceletium (and proly ssri's in pill form) potentiate cannabis!

i got a question:

a friend of mine (realy a friend, not me) takes aropax (spell/) 25mg a day and used to take 50mg.

if he drives the car and hit's a speedbump he get's what he calls cerabellum serotonin syndrome.

he is on those pills since many years and want's to stopp them, what are your feelings about this?

he is diagnosed with "obsessive compulsive" but doesn't agree with his diagnose, but i do...

any input apreciated.

Cannabis does not exert its effects upon the serotonin receptors.

allright, but i had once a very strong experience after pulling 2 cones of sceletium, and other substances consumed beforhand wher only alcohol and cannabis.

i think they don't have to use the same receptors, but it's stronger because many receptors are busy, hope you get my idea.

anyway i had laughing fit's and closed eye halus after smoking scelly, unfortunately it was aswell allmost impossible to breath at the beginning, so something messed with my nervous system (mild serotonin syndrom?)

once the scary part was over and i regained the abilety to breath, the cev very of the best kind i ever had, all nice things in my mind became a halu, like in a lucid dream...

i posted about this experience before here at sab...

I would like to add, a friend of mine nearly died from a combination of Aropax (SSRI) with shrooms.

I have also tried this combo and found that the effects are severly dangerous. Anaphylaxis mainly.

Since mescaline acts on the dopamine system, I would be surprised if any lethal interaction were to occur. But who knows? There is obvious communication between the two systems, and its not easy to say that an SSRI will have no effect on dopamniergic hallucinogens.

I read about a person who is on regular dose of SSNRI and had no effects besides the usual ones when taking mushrooms at all. Not even an increase in strength.