The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bok

Help me to stop killing seeds

I have attempted on 3 occasions now to grow lophs,trichs and others from seed. Ive tried cactus mix and all I got was fungus. Now Im trying seed raising mix and still nothing after 3 weeks. I ve experimented with glass propagation domes big plastic snap bags as prop domes. The temperature should be good its been consistantly 20 degrees at night and 30ish during the day. They are positioned only to get direct sun until about 8 or 9 in the morning. All the plastic except for the snap bags was boiled to sterilise. I wet the soil after putting seed on top to cover the seed and sit the pot in about 1 cm of water. Iam also having trouble with ephedra germination. Out of 20 ephedras, 20 ish cactus and 5 peganum hamalas Ive got 1 peganum seedling. I am pulling my hair out which isnt good cause Im loosing it anyways.

more ariation/airflow would have been necessary, next time poke some holes into your dome/cover or open the cover more frequently.

aswell its possible to germinate lophs without much cover, in your case you overdid it by keeping the system closed, and as such slime you got....

just put the lid on slightly next time,

so you get some air exchange, simple as that!

also try germinating cacti mix in 50/50 sharp sand/peat mix and nuke it in microwave until steaming to steralise

if you still have probs try 100% sand

also if u egt fungus give a spray with weak anti fungal spray

cheers smogs

I got some anti fungal gear the other week but Ive got issues with chemicly interfering with things, so I havent used any yet. I didn't get any mouldy slime on the 2nd and 3rd trials but I still may have over done the water. Sharp sand? I read this every where, it just means go to the beech and grab a bucket full dosent it. Ive read that I should soak seed for 48 hrs reckon itll help?

bok, don't feel bad, me and you are in the same boat.

My seeds came from SAB last Saturday, Datura, HBWR, Morning Glory, L. Diffusa, L. Williamsi and Heimia.

None of them have sprouted! I've given the Daturas bottom heat over the last few days, nice constant humidity for the lophs and the heimia, constant misting for the HBWR and MG.

I know the Loph's won't sprout instantly, and the HBWR might take a while too, but I want just a sprout I can see! Something tiny popped out of the heimia pot, but I can't be sure if its a heimia seedling or one of those little weeds.

I feel like such a blackthumb :(

What was the point of this post? Oh..right..uh...I like complaining and thought you might feel better if you knew you weren't the only one? :P

are the lophs/trichs getting any constant bottom heating like an electric blanket or reptile heating pad? I've found that if i don't give cactii seeds constant bottom heating then not much will sprout.

Apothecary,

just nick the shell slightly on your MG seeds and soak them in a glass of water for about 12-30 hours. When you see the seed has swollen up and there is a little shoot coming out, then plant it a few centimetres below the surface in some pots. They are a weed, and shouldn't be difficult to grow or germinate.

Benzito, damn. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I nicked the shell on the HBWR and soaked them for 24 hours, but not the MG. It doesn't say you need to on that little yellow square of paper for the MG

bok:

cheers smogs

I got some anti fungal gear the other week but Ive got issues with chemicly interfering with things, so I havent used any yet.  I didn't get any mouldy slime on the 2nd and 3rd trials but I still may have over done the water.  Sharp sand? I read this every where, it just means go to the beech and grab a bucket full dosent it.  Ive read that I should soak seed for 48 hrs reckon itll help?

anti fungal gear is a must sometimes... and i use it 50% of recomended strength and in tiny amounts... and only if i see mouldy stuff growing

sharp sand can be hard to find it basically means big grain sand. Fine sand (or river sand, or sydney beach sand) which is good for sandpits bad for gardening as it is too fine and the grains lock together making draining a problem and too ahrd for the roots to push through

u should be able to buy sharp sand or soemtiems called "horticultural" sand from a good nursery

put it in a sieve and shake it in a bucket of water... let the silt collect in bucket and only use the big parts

ahh sorry meant to add...

heatmats.. i have used a reptile heatmat to germinate with mini fluro tube thingy but found no advantage over putting them outdoors in shady area on my balcony.... except that you can germinate during winter

if its warmer months heat not needed

(may help?)

Ah, this place is gonna get me fired! :P

I woke up this morning to see that two of the L. Williamsi seeds had germinated during the night! Folks, I definitely reckon bottom heat is the goods :D

They're completely devoid of chlorophyll right now, so I put them under an unreflected 20W fluorescent lamp so hopefully by tonight they'll have some green and a better chance of surviving.

It almost made me late for work! :D :D

Ahhhh I'm so happy :D

[ 07. March 2005, 07:20: Message edited by: apothecary ]

i got some grow woll from a hydroponics shop and it worked really well for the seeds to pop out but i have lost alot of seedlings in the transfer to cacti soil i am learning though i have discovered that they need more air flow sooner in my case. at the base they turned redish brown the the next day they turned to snot.

but this my lesson, i was intially to scared to get them out of the humidity box, and this was the result.

others may have a different opinion about grow wool but i had them out and green in 5-10 days.

no direct sunlight, there sort of underneath a window sill facing east.

i found that in my very first batch, i put them in a room where we have a sun light, it puts out heaps of light but not any of the nasty light coz its filtered, unfortunatly i got impatient and put them in the full sun one morning,

and went out for a few hours.

big mistake, oh well i learnt a few good lessons this last few months.

this my help you a bit.

cacti shouldnt be transferred for a few months... very fragile root systems

they will be fine in grow wool... just give them weak fert solution and water and light and they b fine

bottoms up, a quick trip down the road to a hydro supplier and the significant weight reduction of my wallet. I now have bottom heat with an adjustible knob on the side for good looks.

but it works a treat and over 48 hrs 3 seedlings poped up. The only problem is it took about 10 mins to fill the whole pad with cuttings and I didnt get a chance to through down any more cacti.

cheers guys a bit of guidance has improved my success by 200% :D

How much, if you don't mind me asking?

At the moment my germinating seeds get bottom heat from the TOP of a lit propagation chamber I built myself :D

The lights provide (adjustable) wattage to clones and seedlings, the germinating seeds get heat by sitting on top of those lights.

good idea... i want to harness some wasted energy i have on otehr appliances and stuff to heat seeds and stuff

example: I made a kick arse coffee table... its got a glass top and inside it i have a pair of blue tongue lizards... but the lights i have in there waste so much heat out the back!

That is FUCKING cool.

Me wanty photo! Me wanty photo!

ill take a photo in a few days... i have to put away all the shit thats accumulated on it currently

heh heh

140 big ones, I probably got burned but what can a inexperianced gardener do? I got my hands on some alloy box section to make a light stand for grow lights. Its going to be placed over the top of my heat mat. What size and type lights should I use and how high above the heat mat should I make it.

Oh yeah, that coffe table ken awsome smogs.

check your pms bok i got something to send u if u want it :)

i used a fish tank fluro tube... one of the ones to keep ya fish weed alive and maike fish look pretty and that did the job

i had it about... 20-30cm from seedlings... i think

a while ago now

Bok: go for twin 2ft gro-lux flouro's, set the frame up so you can adjust the height of the light suspended with some jack-chain.This'll fit two of those Yates' jobs side-by-side.