The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ramon

Overcoming tolerance

Guest Ramon

Recently became aware of a situation where some one took what should have been a good dose of a entheogen and did not feel hardly anything.

Someone else taking the half the dose described feeling the desired effects.

It cannot be over use as it had been over a year since he had taken any entheogens.

The person is also not taking any prescribed or unprescribed pharmaceuticals.

My question is.

Is there something that can be done to feel the effects of what should be a effective dose.

Guest DragonFyre

alot of things can be just like alcohol... you need to mix to get off

just like as if you consumed a bottle of vodka compared to say half a bottle of vodka and half a bottle of tequila, Im sure you can guess which will make u happier

(though vodka does get you high!! hehe)

I've especially noticed this as I seem to have a good tolerance to most things out there... as soon as I mix two things I can be sh*t-faced almost instantly

Originally posted by Ramon:

Is there something that can be done to feel the effects of what should be a effective dose.

I'm not the most qualified person here to answer this, but for a start...

Depending on the entheogen...and of course which neurotransmitter it tweaks ( if known )...

For future doses, an easy and safe way is to preload for a couple of days with the requisite amino acid such as tyrosine or 5HTP, maybe glutamine if adrenaline seems high to the point of antagonsim. Make sure a low fat, low protein, high carb snack is taken about half an hour prior to entheogen ingestion- depending again on the nature of the sacrament

Don't know if amino acid supplementation is viable mid dose once it is recognised as ineffective- any experiences? They're crucial on the comedown of many popular comestibles smile.gif

You can also play with MAOIs both prior and during but it's a dicey call, unless you know what you're doing I wouldn't, and don't mid sesh. And I have rooly high MAOs. The point where a dose might be described as ineffective might not be the best time to calculate MAOI doses as your comestible dose might not be as ineffective as you think. Where was that decimal place again? Remind me to tell you about the time...

What you're looking for, of course, is an optimum level, and it pays to play it safe, rather than treat your ingestion as though it was the last one you'll ever have a chance to get and risk someone else going overboard. You'd know that anyhow I reckon smile.gif

If your biological consumable is in such a scarce supply sometimes its best to wait until you have enough to run careful dose & setting volume control experiments. Softly softly, I reckon, but here's me talking like I'm the queen of moderation *grin*

ah how nice that we have such diversity with terms ranging from entheogen to shitfaced.. don't know the substance in question..

don't know there's much to be done to reverse what i call 'behavioural tolerance', cept forgetting all you've ever learned, the games you played, cease looking, forget you dropped, let it suprise you

some changes can't be undone..?

Ramon, this would be much easier if we knew what the substance was. With some things it is easy to solve, and with others virtually impossible.

Guest Mesqualero

C0in Long time no speaky smile.gif

I have lost your E-mail addy would U e-mail me so i can write you again?

How come u no longer come to the chilli sauce? I've kinda missed u....

Mesq

With cactus it has a lot to do with how quickly it got absorbed. The slime can often prevent absorption in people with weak stomachs. A crude alkaloid extract would be more reliable (if this was legal).

I know of a few people who use harmala seeds or caapi to potentiate mescaline. This is not as dangerous as combining MAO-A with most other stimulants, but not without danger.

The problem is probably due to high MAO levels. This can be caused by stress, drugs or sports and can be long term or short term.

It can be overcome by either taking more, which also increases the risks of overdosing, or by reducing MAO levels. Neither is free of risks and if done should be done gradually and carefully.

The thing with cactus is that if you didn't compare the same brew, you may not actually be comparing the same potency. I've had individual cacti pieces (off the same clone) which were really lame, while the one next to it was potent. Standardise your brew.

some people recommend liquorice tea as suporting/potentiating cactus tea,prob good for nausea too.

and of course tropanes are often added to the brew.

t s t .

Guest Ramon

The two brews were the same although I do believe the person who took the half dose fairly frequently uses more then one plant.

The only drugs routinely consumed are coffee ( strong ) and alcohol ( about weekly).

The only other thing which I wonder might be a factor is the person with the high tolerance works nights and and only gets 8 hour sleep on days off.

Ramon I think the person who took the half dose is pretty sensitive to most drugs and used to get off on just a ten cm pach cuttings plus the top of a scop.

The person also doesn't touch salvia anymore because it gave him nightmare visions...

while the person with the high tolerance can just sit down, have a pipe of sallyd5x, and continues talkin...just faster...

[This message has been edited by gomaos (edited 03 April 2002).]