The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Propagation diary

As spring rolls closer and closer I've been planting more and more seeds, sticking cuttings into dirt, etc.

I find the more seeds I have the harder it is to keep track of how long they've been in the soil before/after germination, and other similar details.

Does anyone here keep a propagation "diary" where they say "5x soandso seed on aug soandso germination on sept soandso" to keep track of their efforts?

At the moment I've resorted to sticking little bits of paper under the pots, but I'm curious if anyone is having the same troubles as me, or did and if they did how they solved the problem.

Yup i do. But it depends on what i'm doing. With the ones i'm more serious about i can log just about anything depending on what i'm growing it out for and whatever relevant info will help me down the track.

I've logged all my cacti seed grown, but things get less detailed when you do larger amounts. Like i won't log much if i start 1000 cacti, but if only 10 i'll go to town on it. But again, depending on what you want to acheive, what information is relevant to the situation i guess.

Heh you call yourself a nerd? Use a damn spreadsheet :P:)

Also get yourself some garden tags, paper is for growing mushies! You can get thousands cheaply if you try nursery plastic places, split with people and it's even cheaper.

[ 14. August 2005, 03:52: Message edited by: gerbil ]

just write the dates on the tags

Yeah, I use a diary I swiped from work.

Log date of sowing, date of sprouting, percentage germinated. Frequency of fertilizing, and fertilizers used.

With all my Loph's I actually record every time I water them, to try and learn what they like, as I'm still new to these guys.

As Gerbil said: It depends how many I'm germinating aswell as what plant it is, as to how anal I get about it.

But, within 6 months of starting this hobby I was already losing track of how long seeds had been in pots, etc. So, I switched to a diary.

gerbil:

Heh you call yourself a nerd? Use a damn spreadsheet

LOL. I keep a strict lab diary, have done for yeears and would recommend anyone who is running more than 3 experiments concurrently to do the same, regardless what type of work it is. Actually I'd recommend anyone doing any work at all they might need to recall or share in the future keep good records ( and I still have the messiest desk in the universe )

But I gave up on puter records as a bad deal once I lost about 3 years worth while doing a backup and I had to reconstruct from scratch. And record keeping formats and software change over the years, so why shoehorn everything and waste time sorting out global changes?

A good notebook that's well set out will happily work with just about any data, with the added advantage that you can have it to hand when you're working- you'll find you add more detail and make much better notes than if you wait til you're at your desk, IME. If it gets outta hand and runs over several volumes you can always type it onto disk at the end of each volume or scan it or some bloody thing. I just set mine out so it's navigable at a glance.

I'm with you DL. It's all about the right tool for the job, and the only job I've found spreadsheets to be an appropriate tool for is destroying my sanity