The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
oxydiser

Greenhouse questions...

Hey all, last wednesday I was contemplating the prospect of getting myself a small (maybe 2x2m) greenhouse so that I might be able to grow my psychotrias, b.caapis and HBWDs throughout winter. I was wondering if any of the ethnoheads in the colder states (south-west WA, SA and the Vics) could discuss their greenhouse set-ups with regards to size, materials and overall costs?

im intereted too

theres plenty of home units now available

i have several catalogues

in the 1 to 2 K range and all sorts of specs.

tho id be most happy if sombody did a pictorial tek on how to make a polytunnel shadehouse using weedmat, starpickets and polypipe as done at wandjina

not strictly a greenhouse but still handy

the polypipe tek is not recommended for solid film, only for shade cloth!

A geodesic dome perhaps?

I have a book somewhere with instructions for a timber job which could be adapted to poly pipe??

the problem with polypipe is that it cannot withstand the weight of heavy downward winds. There is a point where these structures just collapse. 50mm PVC piping is much better for these projects.

Ive got one of the bungings 5foot tall greenhouses for my tropicals in winter. Ive lined the inner walls with foil and use just a 2 foot fluro kit with grow lux globes and it seems to keep them alive, they arent thriving, only giving off small shoots near the base, but they are alive at least and will be ready to head outside for spring. I just keep them in a seperate room where heat will reach but the heater wont dry them out

My bad I meant PVC not poly :cool:

in areas of serious frosts a greenhouse is no guarantee of protection. cacti can be kept alive by not watering during the colder months, in this area a greenhouse is good for extending the seasons ie early starts to seeds and late finish to slow ripeners like eggplant, chilli, etc. a large hothouse is not an easy thing to supply supplemental heating to, at best the hothouse keeps rain, hail, light frosts at bay. on a night like last night- minus seven here - anything really cold tender would be dead.

permaculture style plantings for tender vines etc might be the go, i've seen plants grow here that shouldn't, as underplantings entwined within the folds of vigorous evergreens.

i know what you mean WD

even my luffas are still alive only because they are smothered beneath the peas

theres a big difference between cold tolearnce and frost tolerance

for example my capi died very early - the prolonged low night temps just killed them

and other species it says in books tolerate frost but only if the day temps are warm

whereas many other plants thrived right up until and even lingered on after the first frost when they could be protected from the frost settling on them

the two things really are so different as its shown itself this winter