The Corroboree
etherealdrifter

whaT DID you learn from SAB forums?

I learnt that Grug is wise.

Also that lots of people like plants!

• Like 1

That ego dissolution is a myth?

That it's not all peace, love and mungbeans -- but occasionally it is, and then some. I've had some wonderful support from a few members here. Their kindness and generosity have been an inspiration. 

There have been occasional negative experiences too -- thankfully few and far between, but enough to make me cautious about returning, at least for a while.

I've learned that communication via electronic text is fraught with difficulty: it's easy to have one's intentions misconstrued, and to provoke a defensive (and even hostile) response. 

But mostly I've learned about plants, their special gifts, how to nurture them and cultivate guardianship. 

Doesn't ego dissolution as it relates to psychedelics just mean temporary long-term memory suppression? I used to think it meant something other than that also

I learnt how to graft cacti here amongst heaps of other things

I'm sure there is a state of ego-less-ness, and/or approaches to it. (I was aiming for humorous effect. But see my point about electronic communication.)

There is so much good advice on grafting, germinating, rare species, etc. and some of it is buried in the back pages of very old threads. 

Before i came across SAB all i knew of people that took/used substances from nature for one reason or another were pretty much just "deadbeat druggies", SAB has shown me that some people in to taking/using some substance from nature for whatever reason may very well be extremely intelligent and likely very productive people.

• Like 3

There are some very smart eggs using this site... 

And I'm not the only freak in the flock :wink:

• Like 3

That no one ever got more sane from talking to me - usually the opposite. 

• Haha 2

that im not that weird after all 

Edited by El Presidente Hillbillios
  • Like 3

Many of the awesome people I know now I met through SAB, and going to meet ups through out the years has connected me with community in different states.

Lots of planty info goodness.  

That some plants can help you communicate with the universe.

We’re all the weird?  Wired?  One thing *BANG* into many pieces, interesting… interacting with each other?

• Like 2

First lesson was that DMT occurs in the bark of many acacias. This would have been around 1998 or 1999 and the forum looked very different back then (pretty sure it was still SAB).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I learnt that there were people out there who were able to see past the fact that I was 17 when I went to my first meet up.

And treated me like a peer even if they had children my age, which was a big deal for me at the time since it wasn’t a hobby shared with my regular friend circles. 

i learnt how you can use the colour shades from making a chocolate milk to guide pH levels lacking measuring strips etc to get dem jars of apple cider vinegar and root bark tea ready.

I learnt that you can keep a ratty Pach cut in complete neglect for years and it’ll still grow roots. I literally just planted a 30x4-5cm cut I took moving house 4 years prior and neglected completely so it’s bents  40degree from stretching, and the tip is weird a half esten clump of pups….

Anyway its trying to pup one out after <10 days in soil and roots were starting growing just sitting under the deck so now with soil it’s taking up water aleady.

i learnt that if you’ve got asthmatic friends they appreciate a lil pinch of brug flower in spliffs as it’s a nice flavour and a bronchialdilater  

Also learnt that the strength of tropanes in Brug flowers vary dramatically between flowers harvested on the same tree at different times of day so if you have to use small oral dosages for nausea etc then only use leaves as a little piece of flower one day might be perfect and the next day talking to all your disappearing friends from the same amount.

I learnt that when a subculture picks and chooses when they want to apply science and when to apply alternative theories, the result is pretty hilarious.

“I only take plant sacraments’…*5 mins later* “…Oh yeah I’ll have a drop and a cap too”

-“Didn’t you say only plant..”

“‘No they are made with organic chemistry. Besides they start from a natural plant derived precursor..’

….

*offer my tube of sunscreen whilst sitting in 35deg direct sublight*

- “oh no that shit gives you cancer”

I learnt that commercial cactus mix is absolute garbage... just improve the aeration and drainage of regular premium potting mix.

I also learnt that all anyone needs for propagation etc is premium potting mix, peat, prop sand (ideally coarse grade), perlite, and fine grade vermiculite. 

Otherwise all seed or cutting mixes can be made to appropriate material type based on ratio of peat, sand etc, and any mixes with specific drainage requirements can be modified by adding in stuff for drainage or stuff for retention to the potting mix. But if you're using natives, you'll need a native mix because they can't tolerate phosphorous and leads to toxicity. 

If anyone wants a guide of how I make my mixes and do my seeds/cuts then I'm happy to share. It's all derived from what I learnt doing Wholesale Nursery Hort when I was 17,  but the skills are still there and the stuff I learnt in bio/chem subjects at uni only strengthened a lot of my knowledge. Though none of it has any use to my job in tech these days, but never a day I regret learning those skills.

Edited by Needfulalterego

the big advantage learning from sab, is that a lot of people have first hand experience, regarding the subjects.

a lot of old style academic books contain, so many mistakes, which just get copied, from the new guy who, decides to write a book.

most of this scholars as well make no adjustments for where you live.

i point out for example two issues, first for example, poppies grown outside traditional poppy growing countries hardly produce opium...

or "it's hard to understand, like the natives found out about the psychoactive properties of this plant".  they say this because they never walked through a field of salvia, or smelled the plants on a hot day, when a little drizzle moistens the leaves.

a lot of things you learn here a SAB :wub: one can as well, use as inspiration for similar things, like for example my heimia x-talls using only water, has been inspired partly by orbs salvia extraction.  although he uses aceton and methilated spirits, and i use only water. but the main inspiration was to, add a layer of solvent (water is a solvent) without stirring the layer underneath it. 

the older posts of sab, are far more naughty, as the laws were not as strict yet. to search for older posts, it's good to use your search engine, plus the term shaman australis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/01/2024 at 12:47 PM, withdrawl clinic said:

the older posts of sab, are far more naughty, as the laws were not as strict yet. to search for older posts, it's good to use your search engine, plus the term shaman australis. 

I always find it somewhat interesting when some really obscure yet specific google search just leads me to a really old thread here. Is often a bit out of date or lacking detail but the posters in the thread who were/are still here often point me in the right direction at least.