The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
greenestmachinest

Aus kratom growing

Anyone ever had any luck growing kratom at all ? 

Edited by greenestmachinest

It's not impossible. They like humidity/heat but I've seen them growing well in the right environment in Sydney. Mine lasted a year or so then died in the Hunter.

Died in two weeks in Victoria - I would not bother trying again. It is just not humid enough and it gets to cold in Victoria,

If you had a Xlarge hot house with excellent humidity control, grow lights and watering system then possible. It is a tree and that can be pruned but its growth will be limited in an enclosed environment.

I only grow plants that are acclimated to my environment that do not need huge amounts of artificial inputs just to survive.

2 hours ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

Died in two weeks in Victoria - I would not bother trying again. It is just not humid enough and it gets to cold in Victoria

For sure. It's likely not worth the effort or resources with a controlled environment.

If you look at the environment in Thailand where they are endemic to, daytime highs are almost never below 30 C year-round. Mid 30s + high humidity are the norm. Considering SE Asia is where most of the high quality kratom comes from, I suspect secondary metabolites of interest would be richest in concentration under these conditions - at the very least we know that high quality kratom is produced under these conditions.

I've read some stuff about post-harvest processing, like sun drying leaves in a plastic bag that supposedly causes the leaves to go red and become richer in 7-HO-M but there's also a lot of rubbish info circulating about this plant.

It's a shame that it's banned in Australia when people with chronic pain conditions benefit from it. Some people have had serious side effects from it, and the hepatoxicity / o-desmethyl-tramadol contamination issue was a worry, but it can't be compared to the public health threats that alcohol or tobacco are

Edited by saguaro

3 hours ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

Died in two weeks in Victoria - I would not bother trying again. It is just not humid enough and it gets to cold in Victoria,

i suspect a mistake by caring for this plant, they grow well even if you have to keep them inside over winter.

i grew them in the uk, with no difficulties.

its as well not a sensitive plant as it might be suggested, in this thread. it's a tough as hemp, and everybody that can grow hemp should be able to grow kratom...

they will survive a mild frost, and i am currently searching the forum, to find posts about growers in vic, before it became illegal.

i think this topic is very good, and somebody should move it, to were no guests or google can spy on us.

• Like 2

On 12/07/2023 at 12:52 PM, withdrawl clinic said:

i suspect a mistake by caring for this plant, they grow well even if you have to keep them inside over winter.

its as well not a sensitive plant as it might be suggested, in this thread. it's a tough as hemp, and everybody that can grow hemp should be able to grow kratom...

they will survive a mild frost, and i am currently searching the forum, to find posts about growers in vic, before it became illegal.

i think this topic is very good, and somebody should move it, to were no guests or google can spy on us.

Some varieties are much more cold tolerant than others. The red vein seems pretty sensitive.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 12:52 PM, withdrawl clinic said:

What do you think were the coldest temps those plants were exposed to?

Were the leaves potent?

in the uk, i grew them inside, behind the windows. those ones i grew from seed, and sold in europe.

they were small, never did a bio essay.

regarding potency, i read the red veined, is stronger than the rifat/four seasons.

an established tree can survive mild frosts, and it helps if daytime temps are much higher.

it's said the rifat is a self pollinator, and some rumor claims the offspring was red veined. i can't confirm this.

we spoke a lot about the seeds of this plant here at sab, if you break open a sphere of this plant, the seeds are the smallest items you will see, shaped like an artist, might paint a rolling tear.

only the spheres were some green tubes poke out have been pollinated...

i bio essayed the rifat more than 25 years ago, it was potent.

• Like 1