The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

Grafting idea i had

Basically the idea came after trying to cover and weight some very small grafts and realizing i apparently have the dexterity of a drunkard and also noticing some slight discoloration on the cut plane of the root stock after being covered for 5 or so days.

My thought was to basically slice and place the way you normally would with a razor blade but then instead of trying to cover and weight/apply a little pressure i would instead use a sterilized sowing pin and pierce through the scion into the root stock to hold it in place(to be removed after it takes), then instead of covering with some type of wrap i would warm up some honey and use a small syringe to seal around the scion as you would with gap seal and a caulking gun.

Any one ever tried anything similar or see any major flaws in my thinking?

I have tried  already and will update with results(just testing with some random epiphyllum's(i think))

Edited by ZooL

Depending on the size of the scion piercing it might do it in. Some people have used glue in a similar way to your idea with honey. Apparently it works pretty well.

The honey idea is cool, i wonder if it can help with fungal problems too, if these are a problem. You could try to put a small amount of honey on the "far" side of the cut stock as a barrier, then slide the scion off the blade towards the honey barrier, this may help keep the scion slightly in place.

Otherwise you can try different shaped stock cuts, like groove or spike, again depending on scion size.

Super glue is sometimes used to secure grafts. Never tried it myself but I might give it a shot.

Yep, the pin part was definitely not a good idea...

A necrosisy effect just started to spread across the scions from where the pin was, the honey parts seemed to make a good seal and keep the exposed part of the rootstock clean.

Will try super glue and honey instead on next ones.