The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-YT-

Rural vs City Living

Lately ive been thinking and noticing how can i say "depressing" the city makes me feel. I lived in the country for several yrs and it was quiet, peacefull, closer to nature, fresher fruit, vegetables and meat which was better for me and my family. The poeple at first were kinda wierd (prob cuz your the new ppl in town lol)but once u got to know them it was a great place. But now i live in a pritty "bogan" suburbanite hell were gangs of youths think its kool to bash ppl for nothing and junkies roam the streets stealing. Everyone in the city seems to BUSY or DONT CARE,and most seem to have a hidden agenda eg, using you or ripping u off and most act like total assholes - dont get me wrong there are good ppl here but hard to find.Anyway living in the Country as opposed to the city is to very different life styles and i wanted to hear what you guys thought about this???

I can very much relate to that...

I'm living in the city, have been for 8 years now, but consider myself stranded here, if i had the finances i'd move to the country ASAP.

The city is very convenient but that's where the goodness stops.

The real life is in the country...

before i came here i lived in the country/bush for 12 years, and it was almost perfect...

As long as you live in a family or similar situation in the bush, it's great,

if you are living a "single" life, it can become very "lonely"...

I'll defintely move back to the bush one day, when i find the right place...

I remember, when you live in the bush, and visit the big city, the city "stinks' with all it's pollution... only if you live in the city long enough youy don't even smell that anymore...

nah but really the city is for those people who like the "nuclear lifestyle"...

which, to me, stinks....

It is all in your head.

You can live happy and healthy in the city.

If you do not have to live in the city, go for the country!

the plastic lifestyle - yeah Gom - plastic. Too bad it pollutes so much

[ 29. January 2005, 10:02: Message edited by: brian ]

I lived in the country for 3yrs and I gotta say I prefer the city (although I'm about 1hr from Melbourne CBD). I found the country really inconvenient eg. we'd have to drive half an hour to get to the supermarket and I always felt like an outsider in the small town we lived in. I hated the fact that I'd have to make small-talk with the people who owned the little general store when I just wanted to be anonymous. I hated that I couldn't have pizza delivered. In the end I just found it really depressing and boring.

quote:

before i came here i lived in the country/bush for 12 years, and it was almost perfect...

As long as you live in a family or similar situation in the bush, it's great,

if you are living a "single" life, it can become very "lonely"...

that be the truth

Its hard to say whats best

moving suburbs is a very good start

every suburb has its own subculture and vibe

[ 29. January 2005, 17:49: Message edited by: reville ]

Tim Leary said a lot of wacky and highly questionable (in the light of postmodernity) things, but one which rings strongly for me:

"You will find it absolutely necessary to leave the city. Urban living is spiritually suicidal. The cities of America are about to crumble as did Rome and Babylon.

Go to the land. Go to the sea."

Ever since I was 18 I wanted to move to the country. At 21 I burnt out on acid and bought a shack in the forest around Taree, living the (very) simple life.

The enthusiams waned after 6 months and I was absolutely miserable. I missed my music, the clubs and the social setting. It took me another 18 months to find a way out of there and back to the city. 3 of my neighbours did the same thing in the same year.

I live in berlin, amsterdam and sydney for a couple of years by which time I started longing for the country again. Daniel and I started coming to Bryon almost every weekend for over a year and eventually decided that this area offered us the benefits of the country as well as the social life of a cosmopolitan place. Byron and Darlinghust were the only places where we felt comfortable holding hands in public

So we moved up here and I continued to work in sydney for another 18 months, doing the drive or flight every weekend. By the end of that I had little desire to be in sydney. last year I went down twice and hurried back home cos I couldn't stand the noise and smell. We've been in the country for nearly 8 years now (3 of those at wandjina) and we could not be happier with the choice. I think if we had moved into a backward place like Taree again we would not have been happy. So I think the choice of location is very important in making the move. Also, don't buy anything straight away. Rent for a year or two (or 6) so you can find the right place.

It does get lonley when your not in town , you can visit friends in the city all day every day but try to get your friends to visit you ? They need a long weekend to even contemplate the drive , and even then it's such a long way :rolleyes: ! I get meetings scheduled in Melbourne at 8.30 am , do a days worth of work and drive home (3.5hrs) have dinner and get to bed. No big deal. So the first rule is don't expect your city friends to visit.(very often anyway) Get involved in your comunity , even if that means having a regular drink at the local on a Friday night , the fact that you can walk in and people know your name is comforting. Consider why you want to live in the country ? It's not as romantic as people make out , Dairy country is wet and muddy , sheep/wheat country is hot and dusty....... Water , you can run out if your not on mains water. There 's no pizza delivery ! :mad: It takes days to get an appointment to see a doctor, months to see a dentist ! Petrol is expensive , mobile reception can be crap and young people living in the country have a very rate of suicide . But the positives far out way any negatives that may arise :D as long as you are realistic.

rural is the shit!! for many years i wanted to be rural, after stints on rental properties and working in isolated mountain country. finally got my family relocated to a rural block. got no neighbours close by so we can all yell and scream to our hearts desire. got all the room i was lacking in town to put my hothouses up, expand my gardens, run many types of poultry. got a racetrack set up and it doesn't matter if i want to take a mufflerless car out and thrash it because there's noone near enough to grieve over it. one of my neighbours likes his privacy so much that he longs to get out to lightning ridge each year for some 'peace and quiet' - i suppose having half a dozen vehicles go past each day must be fraying his nerves. never thought i'd be one to enjoy yarning with cow cockies but most of the peeps i've spoken to have been a wealth of info.

have missed a few things about being in town ie now that i need chlorinated water for brewing i have to take containers into town for the stuff, never thought i'd miss it. have to take our rubbish to the tip, no collection out here. water pressure isn't great. phone service can be iffy. electricity isn't too reliable especially if it comes to losing an incubator full of eggs. those things i'll learn to live with, wouldn't trade the serenity here for anything.