The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mr b.caapi

Another alleged Ayahuasca death

Pretty sure there was a tobacco brew involved, which isn't mentioned in the article.

See link for more info -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ayahuasca/comments/3jwf9x/iquitos_fatal_tobacco_purge/

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/71864946/Kiwi-Matthew-Dawson-Clarke-dies-in-Peru-after-tobacco-purge

Edited by rahli
  • Like 3

How many people die from car crashes, airplane crashes, alcohol related violence, workplace accidents? These things are so familiar that no one wants to read about it. Its so much easier to sensationalize the unknown than the mundane. A headline about the dangers of driving a car would not attract as much attention. The exotic unknown Peruvian Shamans and their dangerous hallucinogens make a nicer target. If we associate something with our sense of 'self' we accept the dangers that come with it, but if something can be identified as 'other' such as peruvian shamans, muslims, refugees, "terrorists", then its easy to demonize. Its really all different forms of xenophobia.

• Like 3

I don't know that I'd call this xenophobia, the news report doesn't seem overly sensational to me.

Nothing in that "article" is correct. Another datura death huh. Contains what now? LOL It would be nice if these idiots could get just one fact right. After all, it's this very same ignorance that causes this crap.

The news report in the op is outright incorrect in that the brew contained tobacco and not ayahuasca.

The guy died from tobacco overdose not ayahuasca.

• Like 4

these "reports" are not ever even worth reading. Just so much ignorance. What kind a a person even writes such dribble? They should have their fingers cut off for disrespecting that plant like so. You know, like those in old Egypt would have their arm cut off, if they cut down an acacia (burning bush) growing wild there. Arh yes, those times we as people had respect..

Now it seems to be "whoever types the most bullshit, and causes the most harm wins".

Sorry, my comment was directed at the istuff link, for some reason I didn't get the Op when I clicked in, I went straight to rahlis post.

Yeh, the Op article is a bit much.

I don't know that I'd call this xenophobia, the news report doesn't seem overly sensational to me.

The language used presents a bias. The author repeatedly states that ayahuasca makes you vomit and hallucinate for 6 hours, with the full knowledge that this sounds shocking and upsetting to conservative folk. If you read the article closely it is clear that it is written with an opinion, even if this is not clearly stated, the intent is to grab attention with this opinion on a divisive issue.

Its fairly common in pretty much all journalism though, mainstream and blog sourced news, all present opinions with their facts, through selective presentation, language, and repetition. This is perhaps a less obvious example, but I dont feel its a balanced article that looks at all sides of an issue.

edit - just read your second post, lol.

Edited by Conv3rgence

I don't think the article is particularly biased although to us it could appear somewhat sensationalist. I think journalists are largely just naive, and probably consider themselves entertainers to a degree. aren't they just failed authors?

Tobacco brews are dangerous, nicotine, nornicotine and related alkaloids are quite toxic. Smoking, snuff and oral tobacco use is self limiting in a sense. As in you will get nausea and vomit from an overdose well before a LD is reached. Brews on the other hand can be fatal. I imagine N.rustica was used?? Just an assumption..

People need to educate themselves in regards to harm reduction. The retreats should also IMO educate people in regards to the risks of Tobacco Purge. I'm not saying do go there but at least be well aware of the risks involved.

Even as a long time user of tobacco, therefore with a tolerance for said alkaloids, i'd be very careful drinking a tobacco brew at home in Australia, let alone in the middle of the Amazon with no access to medical help.

As I said earlier, i'm not saying don't do it, just that people have a responsibility onto themselves in terms of education and harm reduction. As do the businesses charging people good $ for these retreats.

• Like 5

isn't it technically illegal for americans to go to south america and take ayahuasca? the usgov passed a law making american laws applicable to to us americans when os, i.e. american that goes to amsterdam to smoke legal weed can be prosecuted under american law which makes weed illegal

Interesting and horrid Discostu. And the prize for the craziest country goes to....

(edit) ;

Considering south america is america too. In north america there is ayahuasca church's, South america the shamans, hawaii is legal use too. so it should be.

A more interesting article to me could be

"Jungle vine cures thousands of cases of arthritis worldwide without psychotropic effects, doctors baffled".

Edited by ghosty
  • Like 1

Another article to mislead the public.

Interesting and horrid Discostu. And the prize for the craziest country goes to....

(edit) ;

Considering south america is america too. In north america there is ayahuasca church's, South america the shamans, hawaii is legal use too. so it should be.

A more interesting article to me could be

"Jungle vine cures thousands of cases of arthritis worldwide without psychotropic effects, doctors baffled".

I most probably will never be able to read an article like this: "Jungle vine cures thousands of cases of arthritis worldwide without psychotropic effects, doctors baffled". Unfortunately!