The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Beaker

The Shroomery

I was at the shroomery today and I was appalled by what I was reading... there appears to be a number of racists that frequent this forum... (OTD forum anyway)

Is this normal for the shroomery??

The shroomery seems to me like the overgrow of the cannabis world, full of all sorts of strange creatures.

Chief

there seem to be a lot of good people and tons of usefull information at the shroomery......but your right, lots of different folks......and you may have to wade though some crap to get to the good stuff.....

IMHO not a bad forum

5% - that is way harsh Mesq!

Sure OTD and the Political are is about 50% fuckheads - but come on - they are americans after all - what do you expect?

The hunting forum is the best mushroom identification forum anywhere - and people like Pluteus, Teonan, Gumby, and that other guy really know there shit.

Id say that I learnt most of what i know from the shroomery - In terms of a place to learn the basics of mushroom cultivation, to trade, to find out about newer species cultivation and how different people are doing with different techniques its invaluable. And the other drugs area is quite helpful, if a little on the yank side...

bluemeanie:

5% - that is way harsh Mesq!

Sure OTD and the Political are is about 50% fuckheads - but come on - they are americans after all - what do you expect?

raaayyyysssiiist !!! i'll be following you around with a placard. you know that most yanks are loved globally.

Post edited - I did post some generalised some anti-american consumer culture stuff = primarily to irritate my friend who is a yank and was at my house at the time = but concede that it may offend some american expats - although im sure they would agree...

[ 11. March 2004, 08:55: Message edited by: bluemeanie ]

Ermmm.. BM are you certain you're going in to bat for OTT generalisations? Would you accept people from overseas hassling locals here on the basis of a generalisation involving Johns Howard and Singleton?

We have quite a few Americans here and several I consider valued colleagues- Auxin and spunwhirlin for starters, both polite, helpful an' really friendly ppl. An' if you'd met Mark Pesce at EB3 I reckon you would have just thought he was another wonderful fun person- admittedly with a funny accent C'man... fair's fair...

Nah im only pulling you chain... My friend ken is a yank, and as he as at my house at the time i wrote the above, so i was letting him read what i posted :) I hates when i generalise, but agrees inherantly with my statements. So dont take offense!

But Australians are just as bad - whereelse would you have sensationalised crap at 630 every night on which products are the cheapest, or the current affair of 'aussie battlers being victimised by dole-bludging lebanese fat kids'

As for your statement about being judged by John howard's status, when i was in Malaysia when the queen of racial hysteria stalked the parliament carpets (pauline) - i remember people coming up and yelling 'Hanson! Hanson!' in my face when they overheard me telling someone where i was from. The dude at customs also said 'australian. Has lots of racists?'

bluemeanie:

Nah im only pulling you chain...

Damn. Must be a slow day, I missed the subtitles

Totally agree with you on the TV thing, its kinda like the Three Minutes Hate, only with ads. What pisses me off more is the big dose of it on Sunday called 60 minutes, calculated to be at family viewing time, and contrived to set practically everyone arguing and at each other's throats rather than encouraging rational debate and respect for other viewpoints. Contrived? You bet

'aussie battlers being victimised by dole-bludging lebanese fat kids'

Haha! A Chaser affair right, them guys were funny. On triple J now.

Funniest thing though about the portrayal of people on the dole, was when, i think Today Tonight did a story on the underground dole army. Where they did some interviews (anonymous) with people that were claiming to have an organisation that helps people cheat the system and be dole bludgers and all of that. The whole thing was a hoax and them stupid nob-heads fell for it. Ah good times,

...of course they didn't mention it in their next show(s) so i'm sure half of australia believed it was authentic.

I totally agree with Bluemeanie on the shroomery

I wouldnt bw who, and where i am today if it wasnt for that sight. I learnt the basics from a bout a dozen books, a few hours of one on one lab training and the rest has been almost exclusively the shroomery

SPF sucks - i know others think differently but IMHO it does

Drooldonkey died ( We donkeys carry that burden with us forever)

the only other forum that has appaeared and come close is Nansnook

But the shroomery is still king, i spend more time reading there athn anuwhere incl . here.

Ignore OTD - i even think they were recently thinking of binning it.

In fact i rarely goe below the first division

Hunting forum, advanced cultivation and Gourmet mushrooms

The Shroomery certainly has a 'mixed crowd'. I get a laugh in 'The Pub' from time to time and spend a lot of time in the growing forums, 'the Ethnobotanical Garden' and the 'Marketplace'. (I also ignore OTD and ODD just isn't my scene).

I would doubt that they would bin OTD, though, for purely economic reasons... It's the most popular forum there (and the Shroomery relies heavily on advertiser's contributions...).

Different strokes for different folks...