The Corroboree
kadakuda

Seeking experienced advice on kratom tree relocation

Long time no talk, hope everyone is doing good. I will pu tup pictures if i can get my card fixed.

Long story short i hav ebeen moving my old farm to a new one and waited for the last minute to move the kratom. They are about 20cm diameter at teh trunk and i topped them. Problem being i had all but abandoned that farm for a solid year+ and so it is super dry, normal fo rhere in winter. the kratom droppped all their leaves. i watered them 3 weeks prior to removing them.

They are moved adn at the new farm next to large mango trees for sun protection from morning through to noon. I got them watered and all that we moved them with large ball bal intact and with machines. the brnch tips are still green and tiny leaves are still green unter the stipule. the biggest problem is tha tits dry season and the trees have a hard time breaking the fast to dry stipules, so they rot inside without actually breaking free like they would when wet or when in better condition.

i am worried now that they are going to just quit and die. i have broken many free by hand but now am worried with 33-40C air temps right now at this spot and 55 degree surface temps on th eleaves that they might jsut dry up and get hard instantly.

Anything i can be doing to help this along? normally i am 100% organic but this one time i will make an exception if there is some kind of hormone or somehting that might stimulate new growth. I jsut want to keep a couple clones alive as they were hard to get and pick through...so keeping at least one stock plant of each type is pretty important to me.

thanks for any advice.

Too dry ? Don't worry and look at the typhoon heading south of your island ;)

Assuming your tree's location makes for legal cultivation...

Take cuttings if the plant is in active growth. Hell, take cuttings and care for them on a heat mat with good airflow

Backups is your best bet, that way if something goes wrong you still have trees in your future

Good luck and let us know how it goes :D

• Like 1

If you think they're too hot/dry, perhaps you could try cooling the areas they are planted in with some temporary shadecloth, thick mulch & drip watering. This should also help moisten the air around the leaves, just in case the leaves are getting sufficient water from the roots but are cooking in the hot dry air. If they can get established they should be pretty resilient, and the quality of being deciduous seems to help trees come back from many traumas which leave them apparently-dead. This is just a general strategy though, I have no experience relocating mature kratom trees unfortunately. Good luck man! We are all jealous of your mango-&-kratom farm!

ok thanks guys. trouble is they are leafless, only the tips of the branches have tiny leaves starting under the stipule. i oulled them off but everything dried and god rock hard after that so im worried the plant doesnt have the energy to push through new growth. was hoping there mabe be something for that?

we tried 1000's of cuttings this past winter off these plants, none rooted :( will try layering if any pull through, but right now there are no backups in good condition.

Edited by kadakuda

Cuttings should ideally be taken when the plant is in full active growth, so late summer usually. If you use rooting hormone & keep them humid you should get some survivors.

It sounds like your trees are just trying to conserve moisture because their roots aren't happy yet - they've just suffered a big shock & need to recover. Once they settle in they can start sending water & nutrients to the rest of the plant, including the growing tips. I don't know of any special substance to help with that - I'd just try to encourage happy roots with moisture & yeah maybe Seasol.

Spray mist the bark and growing tops each day, or even twice.....morning and evening.

water the trees too.

Also, maybe have some mulch etc, under the trees and wet it down to help with ongoing humidity.

They will resume growth, break free etc.

If you want more humidity around them, place some tubs of water under them.

Edited by shonman

thanks for advice guys. i have been spraying the trunks and branches. we got hit with huge sun and heat for a couple weeks, so all the branch tips are hard and dead. but luckily a couple trees have sent out new buds from the stem so looks like those are in the clear. 1 died for sure, rest we shall see. i ended up rerouting an irrigation ditch t them, so always moist deep down.