The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2XB

cactus rot help please

Hi all;

As we all gather here under the pretense of a corroboree I'd like to acknowledge the original owners of this land, that the world calls Australia, as its' aboriginal people. I hope we can all reflect, and support the australian Aboriginal people in anyway we can, as equal rights in this country are up to shit....

moving on.....

Many of my cactus have been slain by extreme temps and high humidity here in SeQld... Its sad but i guess thats the way it is if you wanna grow something that wasnt meant to!!

So yes many dead, but this a beloved seed grown Pilosocereus glaucochrous is still alive but with a large wound.... I am very fond of this plant....

my question is, do I leave this and see how it pans out, cut below and above the rot, hopefully getting new growth from the rooted section, and rooting the top half???

It appears very strong still, but it has been like this for 3/4 weeks, not getting worse, but i think the rot may travel up the vascular core with out visual evidence......

educated tipz welcomed! :-)

post-13277-0-21362100-1427267661_thumb.j

post-13277-0-21362100-1427267661_thumb.jpg

post-13277-0-21362100-1427267661_thumb.jpg

Edited by doublebenno

--

Edited by doublebenno

Cut it bro. It looks way top heavy anyway's.

Even though it lloks top heavy the trunk is almost like wood. Ie. Really rigid...

Also it isnt soft when i push on it. It feels normal.

anyway I am leaning to cutting, am looking for some hope I guess.....

I would be shattered to find the inwards perfectly fine.. even more so to have no cactus left though....

Edited by doublebenno

Could be benign black rot but with infections that big, it´s kinda hard to say. Zelly would probably leave it like it as and in most cases, that attempt is the right one. So yeah, I see similarities to black rot but it could also be something that will kill the plant. Really hard to say here.

I'm gonna throw my vote in for cut it...that rotted section is not good news for the rest of the plant IMO. But then I guess it just stands a chance of happening again if conditions don't improve for it....is there any chance of giving it a rain roof like the cacti house at the bot. gardens?

I had a similar rot hit this seedling and I didn't do a thing and now it started growing again. .... And the infected part left this scab.

post-6382-0-03414700-1427310384_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-03414700-1427310384_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-03414700-1427310384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philocacti

If the black rot portion completely encircles the plant your only recourse is to cut it above the black rot area & re-pot & wait for new roots. Put it in the shade while it grows new roots if thats the case.

It could 'survive' as it is (if the blackness completely encircles the plant), but its days are numbered. Think in terms of xylem & phloem, a plant requires both systems operational for healthy growth.

• Like 2

yep, it completely encircles the plant :-(

Thanks for everyones input, I will cut this arvo i think............... will post the results for interests sake....

Cut it at least 5cm above the rot. If you're lucky the stump may re-sprout.

• Like 2

I planned on cutting closer to the rot, and then trimming until no sign of rot, cleaning my knife each cut..... would u advise against this tactic Halcyon Daze???

I do hope for the base to continue :-)

If you do that make sure to sterilize the blade in between the cuts so you don't just spread the bacteria or fungi further. That's my advice.

• Like 1

If you do that make sure to sterilize the blade in between the cuts so you don't just spread the bacteria or fungi further. That's my advice.

Thanks man, I usually clean the blade with metholated spirits or something then a hit with a spirit lamp, would this suffice, in your opinion?

That would work fine.