The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

More Standardized Cactus Pricing

What are people's thoughts on pricing plants by assuming all cacti are cylindrical and using the volume equation and basing the price on that? That way there could be a base price for each cacti per cubic centimeter.

V = π*r^2*h

Edited by doxneed2c-me

Do we also assume that all cacti have exactly the same growth rates and care requirements throughout their lives which will support making them have equal prices worked out by their volume when they are ready for sale?

If that's the case lophs are going to be cheap as chips and eaten like M&Ms since they're so small! (comparatively) ;)

Include price of media, pots, your time working with them? to get em to sellable level

What are people's thoughts on pricing plants by assuming all cacti are cylindrical and using the volume equation and basing the price on that? That way there could be a base price for each cacti per cubic centimeter.

V = π*r^2*h

Good idea by why not use weight to estimate volume? It's comparative to volume and easier to measure. 1 cm3 weighs pretty much 1 gram, so just weigh it. People usually give basic dimensions anyway, but definitely weigh it as well.

$1 per cm has always been a good reference point, but seeing a photo of the actual plant on sale has always been the most critical element of the deal IMO.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Price em what they are worth to you.

• Like 5

^yep and they'll eventually find a new owner :) I had a few cuts I couldn't plant but didn't really wanna sell. Put em up for double just to keep the misso happy and sure enough the bloke who bought em was stoked and saw the value I had em priced

• Like 2

whats the scarring like?

are they encrusted with mite and scale?

are they rotten from the inside out?

is there only one or two of them in or are they a dime a dozen?

i agree with incog/theuserformallyknownasd00d, standardised pricing can be a good measure but in the end it comes down to what the buyer will pay for it

You shouldn't sell anything with mite, scale or mealy bugs that's the golden rule.

• Like 1

Why not 10cents a gram?

sounds fair to me!!

here's a 7+ pound 12" log of pc pachanoi, using your math, should sell for $33 minimum....

post-3765-0-35476600-1427139194_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-35476600-1427139194_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-35476600-1427139194_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is a bit steep, but not that much.

It is right in the range of common prices for more desirable plants.

As for PC... Well I used to give those away for free.

That looks like a $317.50+ PC to me.

Maybe 1 cent per gram would be better?