The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Salvia divinorum Leaves Browning and Falling Off

My saliva divinorum has been losing leaves recently the leaves start browning at the tips then dry out enough then fall off. I will post pictures soon it is just urgent I find a solution. There are no pests the soil is covered with a layer of river rock and sand. I have tried sulfur dust but to no avail.

Before anyone PMs me I am not in AU or anywhere close so I can't send cuttings.

• Like 1

i wonder if your soil is overly moist and the plant is suffering root rot.

• Like 2

Is root rot a problem for salvia plants obtuse?

yeah like obtuse said...

sally doesn't like boggy soil I have found. but decent watering regularly rather than flooding it is the way to go.

She can be a temperamental girl at first but once she acclimatizes and gets happy the growth is quite quick and produces big velvety leaves.

if you are in the Northern Hemisphere it might be the drop in temperature? Leaves/flower heads would go brown and wet with the cold snaps in Winter.

maybe have a look and if it is spreading down the stem some surgery might be in order.

No change of environment to speak of?

good luck I will try respond to any questions you leave in the thread..

• Like 4

fertilizer burn?? virus?? ie leaf curl??

It is inside I haven't fertilized it it might have been shocked from bringing inside. I should be free to post pictures in a few hours.

my understanding with sally, is that when it gets shocked its leaves lose turgor, but once acclimatised settle into their new climate, their leaves dont just dry up and fall off. to me it sounds more like moisture loss, i.e. the leaves arent getting enough water drying out and falling off. from what i have read most people overwater their sallies.

having said that, it could be nutrient deficiencies.

• Like 1

Growing salvia? There's your problem right there :P

Most fussy and temperamental plant I ever encountered - even if it somehow became legal to grow in oz again I doubt I could be bothered with it.

Unless you're in the perfect Goldilocks climate for it and you have the right microclimate for it within that climate (which most people are not and probably do not) then it's generally just an uphill battle and more trouble than it's worth IMO.

Back in the good ol days it grew fine from Sydney and up the coast. I saw one in Sydney that would reach 7-8foot each year, then die back to a stump in winter and repeat in spring. Based on observing that one plant I'd say if at all possible leave it in one location and don't move it. The grounds even better. But if you have to move it, do it just the once a year as the seasons change... And then leave it there for the 6mths it'll be there.

Ie once it's happy it'll stay happy, but will do this type of thing in the OP at the time of the move. Also perlite at the base of the pot and a sandy mix probably sounds better for your sito. I have these problems with my psychotrias, the sandy mix and permanent location fixed em up no problems tho

So what it may be is over watering and fungi colonizing the tips of the leaves. I am going to water it less for the time being but once it gets healthier I will put it into a better blend of soil, sand and rocks.