The Corroboree
Bert&Ernie

What is the best way to Trim a cactus?

I have a Cereus that is getting to tall for the patch it is in and I am wondering what would be the best way to trim it? I was thinking of just giving a massive swing with a knife and hope i cut through it all in one fowl sweep.... but I feel like I probably wouldn't get through it in one swing and id open it up to much for rot and such...

How do you guys and gals usually trim your lovely cacti?

Thanks!!!

I use either a large, just-sharpened kitchen knife if it's reasonably new growth or I use a wood saw with pretty gnarly teeth if it's an older, more woody cut.

I also always sterilize my tools in between each and every cut with isopropyl alcohol just in case. Then put some dusting sulfur on the wounds afterwards too. Haven't had a cut rot using those techniques yet. :)

• Like 3

Something like a bread knife is what we use at the nursery to take cuttings and trim dead stuff off just about anything. It has small serrated teeth that are super sharp to help cut through bread without smushin it so it's perfect for getting through the various layers and is quite thin. If you don't have this or want to get one the above method works great too :P

Katana is the best way imo. Hattori Hanzo. And i am not even joking. Remember that Kakteen Haage in Germany usually uses Katanas to take very large cuttings from 2,5 meter tall plants. The knife needs to be so sharp that as few cells as possible are crushed. It works with a very sharp knife, but i would prefer a fast cut with a very sharp katana.

• Like 2

^^^ Hahaha! I have a few katanas and I've always wanted to slice a cactus with one, I just never have. One day....

Biggest problem I can see with a katana is the damage that'd happen by the cut piece falling on the ground heavily though, (or falling onto other plants). But if I cut the cactus with one hand then I can support the column with the other.

Well, yeah, not sure how to prevented the large column from falling but i remember they even invited a Swordsfight Professional to make the Cut. There even was a video of it but i can´t find it right now. Kakteen Haage is the oldest Cactus Nursery in germany and they wouldn´t do this if they knew a better way. But for small Plants, there are other Solutions. :) It´s rather hard to make fine cuts with a katana.

Edited by Evil Genius

Probably tie the top off before cutting similar to trimming tree branches. I like the katana idea :)

• Like 1

I like to male my cuts on slight angles when outside as well, so water runs off and doesn't have the chance to pool ontop

Hi Frank, yes, that´s exactly how it should be done. First because of the water and secondly to keep new pups that will push the scion from the graft.

Katana for sure!! Do what evilG says. Dont worry about the other plants,.... they will grow back or you can plant new ones.

Katana slicing (ehhrm I mean trimming) your cacti is too fun of an opportunity to pass. So hack away!!! or Chop chop! :wink:

for thick woody stems I use a sawzall with a long blade.......if i have no place for the cutting to safely land I'll do a flat horizontal cut, and if I can guide the cutting to a safe landing I'll make the cut on a diagonal, allowing the cut to fall almost straight down.

here I'm half way up a six foot ladder, topping a colossus main stem. Make the cut with one hand, steady the cutting with the other. Finish the cut, stash the saw, grab the cut with both hands & slowly back down the ladder.....

five new pups emerged from the cut and 3 more just down the main stem.

• Like 1

Still nothing on how to 'catch' the bit you cut off?

I wouldnt want a big cactus cut splatting on the ground and I wouldnt want it shoving a thorn through my spleen.

Wrap it in newspaper and have a friend of questionable intellect hold it while you swing the razor sharp katana?

• Like 2

I took 3.5m cuttings off a pilosocereus. OI throughthrough a rope over a tree branch tied it about 3/4 of the way up the cut and used a razor sharp machete... Worked like a treat.

• Like 1

If I'm chopping down or taking a cutting from a large spikey plant I usually wrap a towel around the cutting, twist the two ends together, and hold on to that while I saw the cutting with a decent garden saw (or whatever I have at my disposal). Heavy cuttings may still swing a bit so you have to be careful.

Another option for heavy or dangerous plants (e.g. psycho0, cuzcos, etc.) is to saw through the core but leave a few cms of flesh, drop the saw so you have both hands free, and then just snap the cutting off. After that you can clean the two ends up and you're good to go.

• Like 1

If I'm chopping down or taking a cutting from a large spikey plant I usually wrap a towel around the cutting, twist the two ends together, and hold on to that while I saw the cutting with a decent garden saw (or whatever I have at my disposal). Heavy cuttings may still swing a bit so you have to be careful.

I also use a towel in the manner you describe for the really spiky ones that my double leather gloves aren't as effective against. If you have a friend stand the other side of the branch using 2 towels and 2 hands in different spots once it's cut they are just left holding the cutting. Works pretty well unless your friends are too weak to hold their weight. ;)