The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

Wanted crystals

My kid loves crystals. I'd be interested in trading cacti for funky nice looking crystals

• Like 3

You can grow your own too - it's one of those simple kids science projects, just using a jar and a bit of string, with something to recrystallise outta solution - borax or copper sulphate or whatever. You can do it different ways to make them grow differently, so it's kind of cool because they can see how different crystals can grow up out of the same ingredients.

If you ever find yourselves in Sydney, the guy who runs this shop is friendly and happy to talk about the crystals and will bust out his high-powered blacklight so you can look at the rocks that glow under it, which is pretty cool. I've got a bunch of mini blacklights, I'll send you a couple if you like - out of the common ones fluorite and gypsum are both supposed to glow I think, and there must be others too.

The Australian Museum has a pretty nice display also:

DSC_0046_big.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the links ano :) I take her to the old goldfields around orange nsw where we busy open rocks and find a lot of quartz, but she really likes all the flashy coloured ones and I'm a little low on cash to say the least to purchase some for her. I'm interested in the crystal growing though that would be a good project for is next school holidays.

I wonder if I rocked into old mates shop with a ute load of bridgesii if he would be keen on a little bartering? ;)

i have a piece of ulexite somewhere you are welcome to if i can find it, which is unfortunately only a maybe (i am pretty shit at finding things when i need them). ulexite is pretty cool, i never cared much for the other stones my hippie pals would show me, but, the way it projects an image onto the other side of its self (hard for me to explain) fascinated me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulexite

link just to explain its fun property better, kind of like a stone optic fiber i guess.

• Like 1

Mad fingers crossed

U

Find

It!

You can grow your own too

Anodyne, this is where I half expected good ol' shake'n'bake meth guide to derail this perfectly innocent thread.
  • Like 1

Anodyne, this is where I half expected good ol' shake'n'bake meth guide to derail this perfectly innocent thread.

Nonono the only decent derailment in this context would be talk of Delta Mike Tango :devil:

Why ? What's delta done ?

if you are still interested i have a tray full of crystals that someone gave to me when i lent them money, i didn't get the money back so i wouldn't mind swapping some for some nice cuttings :)

URL don't work on my phone. :(

URL don't work on my phone. :(

That link didn't work for me either, but Spacemonkey posted a link in another thread, and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page in his photos, you will see the crystals. They are a nice box of crystals too by the way. :)

Try this link nito.

http://postimg.org/gallery/1a55s67t6/8cbad91b/

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1