The Corroboree
darley77

An introduction

I just wanted to say hi and to say that your knowledge on mycology is amazing. I have spent the last few weeks reading this and other sites and you guys are right up there. Here is my situation. I am about 90kms south of perth on a 500 acre property at the bottom of the scarp. Mushrooms of many types are popping up all over the place and it has sparked my interest in them. If i was to post some pics, would people be able to identify and or suggest uses for these mushrooms. i do enjoy relaxing and have a funny feeling i have some here that may be able to help with that, all though my skills are far from enough for me to test what i have found. I am amazed that you guys are all up to speed on the facts and would be happy to be part of your discussions.

I can't speak for others but I'd be more than happy to look at the photos you post and try and figure out exactly what you've got popping up. Sounds like you live in some kind of rural paradise.

Remember, take a photo of the mushroom/rooms before you pick one, so we can see not just the cap but also whether they grow singularly or in clumps. Then pick a mature and immature specimen and photograph the underside of both (in the one pic is best). Then if you are being really thorough cut each in half down the stem and photograph that. Also, list what the mushroom is growing on/near. Is it in grass? On dead wood? On a live tree? Under a tree? What kind of tree? Is there likely roots of a tree under the soil where the mushroom is growing?

Also, does the picked/harvest specimen bruise?

These are just some of the basic questions.

You could also try using the field ID sheet in post 9 here: http://ediblemushroom.net/index.php/topic,245.0.html

• Like 2

Hi darley. Welcome to SAB. I'm rubbish at IDing but would love to see your pics.

Here's a link to a free Perth and surrounds fungi field book. I've been using it to try an begin educating myself and its proving to be quite helpful.

http://www.fungiperth.org.au/Fieldbook-all/Perth-Fungi-Field-Book.html

Anyways, the members here are friendly and very helpful, so enjoy mate! Looking forward to some pics.

EDIT - And follow NSF's great advice on IDs above ^^^

Edited by Cubism

thanks guys. will post some pics very soon. I will try and post pictures as requested....Am also about to check the field book so i can tell you what i have found...

.as a side note: does anyone know how long the moderator keeps tabs on the comments. not a real issue but i just want to know.

Welcome mate, taking a spore print can be very useful when trying to identify mushrooms. This can be done by cutting the stem from the head of the mushroom, now place the head of the mushroom on a piece of tin foil ( gills facing down) & cover the lot with a cup or bowl & leave overnight, in the morning you can remove the cup/bowl & mushroom carefully from the foil, you should now have your print.

Good luck.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 1

*slaps forehead*

Jox...of course! Can't believe I left that essential bit out.

• Like 1

Welcome darley,, great to see another WA member :-) I would love to see ur pics also.

Cheers

Awesome to see another sandgroper! WA folk are few and far between. Everyone on here is really helpful I must say!!!

seems like i am unable to add pics, maybe as i am on a moderator queue. Or is it i am just a bit simple. I go to gallery and create an album but i get a msg saying i am not allowed to upload that type of file (jpeg)

Am i correct in saying that you just cant add a pic from the toolbar? Sometimes i do make things hard for myself. Once i get over this little hurdle i will post my pics. Also What can/does a spore print tell you?

Thanks

seems like i am unable to add pics,

Thanks

there may be some restrictions on posting (like private msgs)until you have made like 5 or 10 posts?

Somebody pls correct me if wrong

Edit-I'm think I'm wrong there must be something else going on. Because I just saw somebody with one post post a pic

Try using the 'more reply options' button where you can attach files (pics) by uploading them and then attach to post

u shouldnt have to make an album

hope this helps

Edited by gnome82

. Also What can/does a spore print tell you?

Thanks

Macroscopically the colour of the spore print will often be a very important indicator in distinguishing between similar looking species,

Under the microscope it is my understanding that spores alone can often identify between species as each will differ like unique fingerprints

Welcome darley,

I still struggle with the images at time. Try attaching an image to a post then inserting it into the post. A if you were replying to this post.

Or don't upload them to the forum at all. Open yourself a photobucket account (or picasa or flickr or whatever) and then just post the 'direct image link' here in the forum. I do that, that way I 'own' the image still and can post it to any forum. I also don't lose the image if the forum goes down or changes software or some such.

Or don't upload them to the forum at all. Open yourself a photobucket account (or picasa or flickr or whatever) and then just post the 'direct image link' here in the forum. I do that, that way I 'own' the image still and can post it to any forum. I also don't lose the image if the forum goes down or changes software or some such.

The only crappy thing about that is when people move or delete the pics on their accounts with other photo hosting sites. It tends to make historical posts with pics a bit useless. There are lots of posts where you find some good info and would love to see the pics that were posted to help clarify the text but you just get an error saying the pic has been removed or deleted. At least uploading it directly to the site means it should stay with the post for as long as possible. Uploading images directly here shouldn't change your ownership over the image and you can, (and should) still keep your images saved elsewhere as a backup and for your records.

Just my opinion. :)

I try to never move pics once they are uploaded and I have a specific account just for fungi...but yep, I agree with your frustration. I do try as hard as I can to keep them on reputable free services. No guarantees they will hang around forever though.

Sometimes you might want to load the same image to more than one forum though. I guess you still can, it's just a little slower.