The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
magical9

T. Spineless Scopulicola?

Question

So i just got my T. Spineless Scop from Sacred Succulents but.... it looks to have spines... is this normal for....spineless scop..

post-14335-0-39274300-1404658126_thumb.j

post-14335-0-86354200-1404658135_thumb.j

post-14335-0-09590000-1404658143_thumb.j

post-14335-0-39274300-1404658126_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-86354200-1404658135_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-09590000-1404658143_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-39274300-1404658126_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-86354200-1404658135_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-09590000-1404658143_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

The so called spineless scops have spines that are just a lot shorter than this, -to the point that they don't protrude at all. if you press hard on the aeroles, they just feel a bit scratchy, but you can't prick yourself at all. I wouldn't call your scop spineless.

• Like 1

hmm maybe as it grows bigger the spines sink in... and it becomes spineless...lol?

Maybe. It's a nice cactus and all, but the one I know has spines that are almost invisible.

Just trying to give U an accurate answer to yr question anyway mate :)

• Like 1

hmm maybe as it grows bigger the spines sink in... and it becomes spineless...lol?

Yours looks almost identical to mine, but with longer spines.

As it grows and fattens the spines will sink in some, but it wont become truly spineless- ever. If your lucky it may get to the point where you can grab it and try to lift it and it wont puncture skin tho, thats how mine is, I can grab it with my palm but wouldnt slap it with the back of my hand, lol

I suspect SS stuck 'spineless' in the name for the sake of people who have never heard of a scop before. For a scop thats actually a long spined clone.

Edit to link to pics of mine next to a PC, people dont even call mine short spine because of the recessed areole variants out there

Edited by Auxin
  • Like 2

I bought a scop from them. They didn't call it spineless, but it was virtually spineless. If you look really close you can see the spines, but when you grab the cactus you can't feel them. Yours looks to be a different, but maybe it was grown in a sunnier spot or something.

post-12824-0-90505800-1404670624_thumb.j post-12824-0-91113800-1404670640_thumb.j

post-12824-0-90505800-1404670624_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-91113800-1404670640_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-90505800-1404670624_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-91113800-1404670640_thumb.jpg

magical it doesn't seem like the spiness form

I have grown all of my spineless scops in hard sun and the spines remain tiny and harmless.

The other scopulicola forms as well as the spinier super pedro can scratch you alright.

hostilis's one looks more like the thing

• Like 1

Your scopulicola is beautiful zelly. Sexy cactus for sure.

must be nice to have a real spineless scop... sigh.

• Like 1

yeah having a spineless scop is like you have no other problems in this life... the spineless scop symbolises the lack of spines in real life.... in a way its magic... magic9 !

hey magic , on a serious note, its not difficult to spot the fucker: its everywhere in oz, its not so uncommon in usa, and it is present (maybe a bit rarer) in europe

yeah having a spineless scop is like you have no other problems in this life... the spineless scop symbolises the lack of spines in real life.... in a way its magic... magic9 !

hey magic , on a serious note, its not difficult to spot the fucker: its everywhere in oz, its not so uncommon in usa, and it is present (maybe a bit rarer) in europe

youre right its not that big of a deal. i just really would like a nice specimen for show in the backyard is all. heh. have it go next to my fatass juuls. i guess i had my hopes up too much for SS to send a spineless one!

• Like 1

see?? I dont got a juuls!!!!

but I got a couple specimens which are most probably crosses of the spineless scop X juuls... sent as seedlings from us...

would love to have juuls to compare next to NZ pachanoi or KK339 ecuadorian pachanoi

nah, you'll find it...

a fine comparison would be oz's cordobensis to us super pedro, in the same collection...

Edited by mutant

i can get juuls all day but cant find spineless scop and you can find spineless scop all day but no juuls! if i could send you one i would... or id point you to a seller i get them from :)

• Like 1

that's what I mean yeah

....or we trade to show how spikes not necesarrily make enemies .......... show how its not a big deal to say a big word or two...

we are men , after all (sad that there are few women amongs us btw)

actually I have already given away too many scop tips, but I suppose I could find one for ya ;) and if not a tip, surely a good mid cutting log.. (from the spineless scop)

I have that spineless scop it does grow spines but once it thickens up the ariole sinks below the skin leaving a hole. Fwiw i believe it to be very "magical"

The best way to tell if its the spineless one is, you can't see the ariole it just looks like a hole or maybe a tiny bit of white.

hey cactuscarl the areoles are not always sinked... even though it can be considered a good IDing mark for this clone.

in well watered plants, the tip even has some tiny but protruding spines, they tend to sink when new growth emerges and older growth goes down/side and/or when unwatered ....