The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rabelais

No hibernation this winter...

Growing in Tasmania for over 10 years now, this is the first winter where my collection seems to be still growing, things usually come to a dead stop from the end of may until late october. Interesting.

Are others noticing stronger winter growth this year?

• Like 3

yes totally, with all plants, not just cacti. We haven't had a frost yet which at this time of year is unheard of in my life time.. a few deciduous fruit trees still have all their leaves, still green, still putting on growth. i've seen all sorts of native species putting on growth almost as though it were spring.

el nino year this year apparently which is why i think the winter is warmer.

Winter took a while to settle in as the warm start to the year continued into June. Despite a few cooler days (which brought significant snowfalls to the highlands), overall temperatures were above average for the month across the State. A few sites reported their warmest mean June temperatures since at least 1991. The first half of the year has been unusually warm, with the 6 month period from January to June 2014 Victoria's warmest such period on record for mean temperatures.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/month/vic/summary.shtml

• Like 2

My hb04 pachxbridge has put on at least 2 inches since the start of winter.

Warmest june on record.......el nino year...generally means 3 years of drought...

• Like 1

All my B caapi and Psychotria are still throwing out new sets of leaves...it still reaches 5-10 degrees at night but they don't seem to mind. (they're outside in part shade)

Quite happy with their growth I must say :)

Yeap! Noticing it here in Auckland too. It's great :)

• Like 1

maybe it's just me but oppressive record breaking heat, brutal deadly bush fires in spring & summer, now the warmest winter on record with highly abnormal warmth isn't very great at all. More along the lines of profoundly disturbing..

• Like 1

"global cooling"

(climate science is paradoxical like that)

i don't think climate science is particularly paradoxical, it's just a lack of understanding of highly complex systems that make it seem paradoxical. Human stupidity is in my opinion much more paradoxical than climate science.

• Like 4

Some plum trees burst their buds and a mulberry also. They have broken dormancy wayyyyyyyyy too early.

Man, my white shahtoot mulberry hasn't even dropped it's leaves yet & is still pumping out fresh green growth. Is quite absurd really.

Over here in idaho we've been having extremely cold winters (down to -28 to -15 for several weeks at a time) and then extremely hot summers (up to 43) Quite unusual weather here.

• Like 1

i just hope people learn from last years early bush fire season and prep early

Edited by bot6
  • Like 1

Over here in idaho we've been having extremely cold winters (down to -28 to -15 for several weeks at a time) and then extremely hot summers (up to 43) Quite unusual weather here

I can't imagine living with those extremes.............I windge when we get a -3c or a +30c................I like a moderate climate winter days 15c summer 20c....

your cacti would like the 43 I guess.........

Edited by Dreamwalker

First the Angry Summer, then the Abnormal Autumn, now the Winter that wasn't...

Climate change is all about changing climates, not just warming or cooling.

The entire planet is experiencing changing climates.

• Like 1

i saw at work today that all the spring flowering coastal heath plants are in full bloom. very pretty but very bazaar.

fungi and animal behavior is also strange down here....

Edited by Tangich

I don't believe that we fucked up the climate. The earth has always had a history of dramatic climate changes. Ice ages, thawing periods ect. It's what happens, and one day we're going to get our asses handed to us by earth. I don't think we will be the root cause of it, but I do believe we are effecting it for sure.

I think it's too much of a coincidence that scientists have begged us for years that this would happen, and now, right on queue, its happening.

We've changed the plant so much in every other way, it only seems logical that eventually the climate would be affected.

Most of my plants are still growing ( my cacti included) up here many deciduous trees haven't even changed colour yet, and my native orchids have put out spikes way too early. One harsh frost and all their flowers will be destroyed before they even develop. It's a worry :(

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Witness some amazing spring like bird behaviour today! Baby magpies this early? I mean it must've been there first outta nest venture. Soo small and cute and a friendly mum and dad :)

But :-/ why are spring birds nesting in July