The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gr33ntea

Still cant root degrafts

It is pretty cold in Melbourne atm, 16 degrees Delicious at the moment. I got a degrafted loph. I put it in dry sand and in a greenhouse. It is not humid and i pour tomato dust (miticide, fungicide) on it. The loph is squishy, it has been 4 weeks now. There is no rot on the loph, when does it root? Should i just store it in a cupboard instead of the sun?

they can take a while to root i wouldnt put it in a cupboard but i'd bring it inside

i found straight propagating sand or just some coarse stone or sand with a little bottom heat to work well (if you have a heatpad)

once roots start to show you can give it a light little spray with some water around the edges once in a while to help encourage more root growth

note: i'd still do the same thing without a heatpad

Edited by myco

I've had cuttings that looked like prunes throw roots before. Don't get too discouraged by the squishy feeling. It's just thirsty. Pretty soon it should go venturing out for water :)

Check out this grusonia pulchella cutting. It feels like a dried fig and looks like a burnt piece of toast but it actually just threw out roots. It was in sand/crushed lava rock out in the sun for 2 months before rooting.

post-12824-0-41229600-1402465830_thumb.j

post-12824-0-41229600-1402465830_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-41229600-1402465830_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've got 3-4 lophs also rooting, however i've pretty much ignored them and could care less if they ever root.

In fact, your post was the only reason to even think about them........

although i am quite certain they'll root when they get darn good & ready to.

Yes Zelly has the right idea, put them in good conditions/environment and forget about them. If they haven't thrown roots in the next week or so it could be a long wait until it warms up :) :)

Edited by Hellonasty

I put them in a greenhouse outside, the loph is in coarse sand, I do have a heat pad the ones used for reptiles, but it doesn't really give off that much heat maybe if i gave it better insulation.

i also did some grafts, hopefully they will survive in this temperature (i put them in greenhouse too). I am not worrying about humidity and i wrapped the graft with glad wrap.

Philocacti: I dont understand how you grafted it, did you plant it with stock and scion?

It was grafted as a seedling until it reached this size. Instead of detracting I always leave a piece of the stock on the graft for easier rooting. However, the stock rotted or died somehow. So I just buried it

• Like 1