The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Tall Loph Seedlings

Is there any reason my loph seedlings might be taller than I expected. They are taller then they are wide. A lot taller... But still only 0.5 cm tall. Is this normal?

Yep completely normal mate, you are thrown off because when you see mature plants the tap root is below the surface, with seedlings this is not the case until you repot them.

• Like 1

Something I noticed as well, with my Loph seedlings.

Thanks hellonasty

They are just new sprouts and they have full light at least 10 hours and 2 extra hours of fluorescent light in the morning.

Did you use GA3? I've noticed that can make for really tall skinny seedlings. It's actually why I stopped using it. Lol.

it still happens all the time when theyre small they dont start off growing in much of a globular form when they are small it takes some time

its probably not due to light at all

basically its just the way they are give them time and they will fatten up

My astrophytum asterias started the same way then fattened up but they weren't quite as tall. I feel it is normal based on what people have said but it was shocking as they were taller then they were wide and when you see lophs which are larger they are wider then they are tall. Sorry for the concerned post.

IME if the get enough light they start out globular

Less light make them etiolated. However there's a thin line between enough light and too much light or not enough light when it comes to cactus seedlings ;)

post-6382-0-38279100-1401594535_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-38279100-1401594535_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-38279100-1401594535_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philocacti
  • Like 1

I should point out some still have the seeds on them. They probably just look awkward they are new sprouts.

I am curious if bottom heat could have caused them to grow a bit taller then normal since I took them off all the new seedlings sprouting have been globular and small not skinny and tall.

Please note they were getting a minimum of 16 hours direct sunlight and about 6 hours of fluorescent light which was used to supplement sunlight at times where the light was weaker (morning and night).

Edited by doxneed2c-me