The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mystical oyster

cloning crests?

I have a T Peru crest on the way, and Im thinkin of chopping it up a bit to get some clones from it, how do you go about grafting pieces of crests, I've never cut one but i assume the vascular ring is all over the place due to the freakish growth.

Can you just cut pieces off and graft them easily or is there an art to grafting crests?

Any tips appreciated. Thanks

since this came up I gotta ask

has anyone else chopped any crests open to find the elongated vascular ring has big air pockets all through it ?

Ive only chopped a hamilton peru crest and no air pockets..

since this came up I gotta ask

has anyone else chopped any crests open to find the elongated vascular ring has big air pockets all through it ?

I've had this happen a few times when cutting some crests. I would just cut the crest smaller so there would be no air pocket between the scion and the stock... I'm not sure if it would take leaving the air pocket but I never tried. Usually happens with columnar crests probably due to fast growth, but I've also had it happen with a lopho crest and even regular cacti grafted onto pereskiopsis.

• Like 1

ok so i bought a nice little crest, was hesitant to cut it but wanted to propagate it. it was going so well, seemed to have took even tho the vascular bundle seemed to have air pockets, but then i came home one day and it had gone rotten and turned to mush :(

not sure why this happened, i figured it might not take but i was prepared to try again, but i did not expect it to completely rot!

im guessing this little guys life is over. or do you think a rotten chunk can still throw some life.

a bit sad

sorry pretty poor quality pic

post-11944-0-23680300-1398769294_thumb.j

post-11944-0-23680300-1398769294_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-23680300-1398769294_thumb.jpg

If the whole thing is mushy and black then chances are very slim that it would continue to grow. And if I were you I'd take it off the stock so that the stock doesn't rot as well.

From my experience, once they are all soft and rotten like that there's no real hope of it recovering. I have had similar problems with crests randomly rotting after appearing to be fine, was with an old pachanoi crest I had chopped up.

If there's anything that is solid you might be able to save an aerole but everything looks dark and nasty to me....

Sorry for the loss :(

• Like 1

aw :( i figured its time was up, strange, it was going so well. thanks guys

These are the crests that I had cloned, were doing great and showing new growth and then it must have been too humid or something strange because I lost them all extremely quickly to rot.

Only picture I could find.

post-13244-0-59376500-1398907548_thumb.j

post-13244-0-59376500-1398907548_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-59376500-1398907548_thumb.jpg

Did you use a clean cutting utensil when grafting?

Edited by hostilis

Probably not as sterile as I am now, but I did use alcohol and a razor blade back then. They had been fine for a week + and then they all died off overnight it seemed. I think it got a bit humid in my apartment, I had them inside because it was way toohumid outside.

yea mine were kicking along nicely for about a week also, then like you say, practically over night, came home from work to a black pile of mush. i have mine inside, it is quite warm and humid in here also, which i figured would do them good, used a fillet knife cleaned with an isopropyl solution (isocol)