The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hellonasty

An Interesting Cactus Tale

This is great. Amazing odds man. 2/100 take. Both grafted and 1/2 germ. That one happens to be a crest. Wow, one in a million! Has it flowered at all yet?

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 1

I enjoyed reading y'all little chat with another acf member about said plant.was only last night.......

• Like 1

Nah not flowers yet hostilis, that's all I need to confirm the ID :) I'm almost certain anyway.

• Like 1

Hi Hellonasty, yes, it looks very much like the Echinocactus Crest that I recently saw. Some pediocacti are very similar to Echinocactus. Some pediocacti were placed in Echinocactus in the past so this isn´t so unlikely as it sounds. Looks great!

Btw, pediocactus seeds are known to be very difficult to germinate. I wouldn´t throw out the soil. There will be some more sprouts in the future.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the seed requires Cold Treatment to have an adequate germination rate. But I'm not sure where I read that. But it would be worth a try if you decide to re-start germination.

I have heard this crest can get to an enormous size and if the regular Grusonii is anything to go off this could get interesting.

This story sounds like a cactophiles dream come true

• Like 1