The Corroboree
Cubism

Star Jasmine : Anyone interested?

There's a big patch of Star Jasmine in one of my local parks I've been keeping an eye on but it doesn't seem to be producing seed pods. Then yesterday, I noticed one of the residents in my street has one growing over her fence which is producing some pods. So with permission, I've collected 5 or 6 pods which have fallen to the ground so far with more yet to fully dry out.

If anyone's keen, I have a couple of bags of seed (taken out of pods) for anyone in Australia to have,(short on stamps an cash so sorry if your oversees) possibly some more in the next few days/weeks.

Anyway, no trade needed or wanted, they're yours for free if you want them.

No idea how viable they are but they're fresh!

ive been growing star jasmine for close to 8 years and I've never came across any seed pods

Hey Matt

From what reading I have done, alot of plants don't. But some plants definately do. They produce a long skinny pod, kinda like green beans, and the seeds are like a very small brown twig with a larger feathery attachment. The huge patch in my local park does not seem to produce any pods, yet maybe 500 m down the road, my neighbours plants most certainly are producing pods right now. There's plenty of info out there about them.

Nice find.

Quite a rewarding plant to grow!

• Like 1

Careful, it may actually be that other species Trachelospermum asiaticum which produces heaps of seedpods.

I don't know if much is known about it, so proceed with caution.

• Like 2

I'll defiantly keep a look out for them in the future, must say though out of all the seeds I've seen they'd have to be the prettiest :P they aren't just a boring brown/black seed

Edited by Matt1208
  • Like 1

Nice find.

Quite a rewarding plant to grow!

Thanks Foo. Pretty happy myself. Didn't know anything about it until browsing old threads here. So thanks SAB too!

• Like 1

Careful, it may actually be that other species Trachelospermum asiaticum which produces heaps of seedpods.

I don't know if much is known about it, so proceed with caution.

Good call. There's an interesting snippet in this old thread about it. Apparently contains at least voacangine & coronaridine, though I don't know in what amounts.

• Like 1