The Corroboree
tripsis

Bring back the neg button.

The neg button used to suck! But only because it was anonymous.

It only takes a handful of immature people to ruin it for the rest of us. It was only about 6 people last time.

I liked the neg button because I don't always want to explain everything. I'll have a look if it stil has a neg button available and whether it can be set to reveal member names. I think that would solve the vast majority of abuse problems. Definitely not bringing it back if it is only anonymous.

• Like 2

I am going to move this to the 'site' forum as it is a valid topic.

I have almost no opinion on this matter... :)

Slightly leaning towards not bringing it back, but yeah, whatever...

I wasn't around during this neg-button phase of SAB, but I think I get the idea, and I can't see how it's a good thing. The "like" button works well because it reduces the number of short, rather pointless posts. Just look at the archives sometime and you'll notice how many posts simply say something like "nice post", "thanks for the link", or just fucking "lol". The like button reduces the pages and pages of sweet nothings you had to wade through every time someone made a popular post, and anyone who wants to elaborate on their reasons for liking the post can still do so.

Whereas the negative button... seems to be more of popularity game. Or an unpopularity game I guess - and you know there'll be some idiots who will play it that way. If you disagree with something, why not explain your reasons? Debating something is usually more productive than just saying "that's shit". If the information is inaccurate, it's better to explain that that is the reason you dislike the post, rather than leaving it ambiguous - for all we know you don't like it because the author used the word "cunt" or didn't come through on your last trade or whatever. And unless you debate it and back it up, how do you know it's not your information that's inaccurate?

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 5

What's with the star system and posts?

Isn't that a way you can rate a thread's value or relevance, without liking or disliking individual posts?

I can see the neg button would get abused for sure, but it seems, at least at the moment, most peeps seem quite fine with putting their opinions forward.

Maybe it would lead to division, dunno. Either way things seem to be fairly legit atm, so if it ain't broke... I guess :huh:

^ AFAIK the stars to rate threads is only available to folks with trusted member status, which means they have at least 3000 posts or they're well-known enough to the mods and admin and there's some specific reason the status needs to be upgraded I guess