The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
RubyTuesday

Spiking drinks

Just been listening to a thing on Triple J about people having their drinks spiked with things like GBH and Ketamine...

I think it's a really shitty thing to do to someone (even if you do it with good intentions like 'it'll help them have a good time') I've always been really wary of a lot of drugs because I'm pretty highly strung, so someone spiking my drink is my nightmare.

What do you guys think aboot it?

------------------

http://www.angelfire.com/apes/liberty

totally against it. I know so many people who could easily end up in hospital if they got the wrong drug. People with anxiety/panic disorders, depression or or bloodpressure problems would suffer dramatically. And often the 'friends' are simply not aware that the person is suffering from such a disorder, or which drug could set it off.

I know of a case where it wasn't even the drink that was spiked. About 6 years ago at the Sydney Mardi Gras party a fairly young guy was dancing with a group of other guys - his boyfriend was having a rest on the sideline. One person in that group kept on massaging tigerbalm onto the arms of everyone else as the whole group was 'e-ing'. About 10 min later the guy started feeling dizzy and left the group to go over to his boyfriend to let him know he wasn't feeling well. As he reached him he collapsed. The boyfriend dragged him to the ambo's and he was treated for a heart attack (mind you he was only about 25) and rushed to hospital where he was treated in the emergency room for mulitple heart attacks. He barely survived. In hospital they did a toxicology test and found massive amounts of methamphetamine in his system. Enough to kill anyone. The docs quizzed the boyfriend who assured them that both of them only took one single 'e' tab and had been careful about their water bottles etc. A spare tab was analysed and found to contain no methamphetamine. They then analysed samples from the guys skin and found this to be loaded with huge amounts of methamphetamine freebase. Those pricks at the party had actually mixed meth freebase into the tigerbalm (to mask the smell I guess) and smeared in on people. While they might have thought this to be funny or helping others have a great time, either they got the dosage wrong, or simply didn't care. I never read any of this is in any of the papers or scene mags, so I presume the idiots who did it aren't even aware of what they had done.

The experience has terminated this guys party life. he is simply to scared to take any drugs and too scared to even go into such an environment again. While spiking a drink may not be as drastic, it can have the same result for that person though.

The other thing to consider is that most people who don't want to take a drug do so becaue they don't want to or are anxious about it. This mindset will contribute to them having a bad time anyway. It is much better simply to offer people drugs for free if you are so inclined (and if it is legal in your country) and let them make their own decision.

On a less serious note, it reminds me of this time I went to a gathering at a friend's place... She'd made a batch of hash cookies and she warned everyone that that's what they were. But one of my friends obviously didn't hear and she ate a couple. When she found out she freaked (she was an ex smoker who'd totally gone off it) and ran to the toilet to make herself throw up.

Oh, and what about that guy in Melbourne who had a visit from the Mormons and fed them hash cookies? I couldn't help laugh about it, but I think they had about 10 or something, which is pretty bad...

------------------

http://www.angelfire.com/apes/liberty

It should be a automatic 1 year in jail and another year of community service, minimum.

People die because of it.

I knew a guy who almost died because some prick spiked his punch with vodka, supposedly the spiker didn't know the spikee was highly allergic to alcohol.

I knew a girl who had her pot spiked with speed and then was nearly raped, evidently the spiker thought that on speed girls dont mind being raped. He did this to several girls and unfortunatly the guy skipped town before the girls friends could find him and carve little flutes and pipes out of his bones after LIQUIFYING THE FLESH OFF THE FEITD SON OF A BITCH TWEAKER IN A PIT OF HOT LYE, a shame really- after seeing what happened to that sweet little girl I so wanted to help make the flutes.

I could give more examples but focusing on this topic makes me feel violent, so I better stop now before I get the urge to go out and skin a tweaker.

Just one last thing, before spiking a persons drink remember that they shurely have friends that would do things so hideous you would be begging for death!

Aside from being a sad waste of comestibles on ppl who probably wouldn't want them or they'd have their own...

...ppl who spike drinks deserve anything your most vicious imaginings can construe. It's not funny, its not fair and it ain't healthy. The spikee could also be taking any variety of prescribed clinical drugs incompatible with the spike and the outcomes don't bear imagining

A 'friend' hinted heavily that she might have spiked the coffee I'd just drunk one night before I had to go to work, so I broke her kitchen up and scared the living crap outta her. Turns out she thought just the threat was funny, but would have been safer than actually doing it.

She explained that to me in the ruins of the kitchen around the same time as she told me she hadn't spiked my coffee with blotters after all. She was probably right too, if she had spiked it she would have been in deeper shit. Mind you she could have saved the hour or more she spent playing stuffarounds with my head before she bothered with the truth, and the evening would have been far more pleasant

[This message has been edited by Darklight (edited 02 August 2002).]

A lot of pharmaceutical companies have started putting bitters/dyes in their seditive/hypontic of drugs to prevent spikings, but it doesnt work with these "illeagl drugs" as they are not controlled as usual....I was reading a anti-drug website somewhere last year or so...saying if ALL drugs ever be legalised the world start losing their "morals" blah blah...but other party said it could lower the spikings/unknown overdoses, etc.. because the drugs will be controlled, etc.. and possiblity could be added with dyes and bitters, etc....

oh listen to all this nay saying, drink spiking is the way to go. i've done it plenty of times - alcohol is such a wonderful carrier for all sorts of consumables. of course these things are for me only, don't think i'd fancy doing it to others though.

Thankfully the people in alt.drugs.chemistry feel the same way about this stuff. One time someguy came on and asked how to make date rape drugs he got flammed to hell :-)